Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Help, where to go first and what to take? TGV, Eurotrail, plane etc.. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-where-to-go-first-and-what-to-take-tgv-eurotrail-plane-etc-755369/)

zeicht0725 Dec 29th, 2007 12:05 AM

Help, where to go first and what to take? TGV, Eurotrail, plane etc..

Hi friends!

I am struggling, really really struggling in planning for our european tour honeymoon dated april 7 onwards. Need your feedback on the following countries that we chose to visit:

Londok, UK
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Vienna, Austria
Munich, Germany
Switzerland
Rome or Milan Italy

If time permits,
Barcelona Spain
Prague, Czech Republic

We are planning for a 3-4 days stay in each cities.

My question is Where should we go first and how? By plane, car or TGV, eurotrail? We want to drive at the Autobahn. where do i start?

If you feel that we should visit another city instead of those indicated above, i would also appreciate your recommendations hehehe

thanks and happy holidays!

roussillon Dec 29th, 2007 12:42 AM

Well you certainly have an aggressive plan for the travel part of your honeymoon!

I would say you should book a Eurorail pass before leaving and then fly into a train friendly airport to start your journey...

My choice would be Zurich...great train connections right at the airport to everywhere...and it is also possible to take a shower at the airport the morning you arrive...helps to clear the head and freshen you up for the long days you will have.

Since you are going in April, you will not have much problem finding hotels, so I would plan the first day or two, and then LET INSPIRATION take you on to the latter part...if you want to hire a car and drive the autobahn, then fine for a few days...but you will find that the train is BY FAR the best way to get from city center to city center, and a car in the downtown areas of the major cities is a hindrance rather than a help because of parking restrictions, one ways etc.

Good luck. You need to do a wee bit more research, and maybe narrow down a little geographically...should be a great trip though. Rouss

zeicht0725 Dec 29th, 2007 01:15 AM

thanks rouss, you are right, we are planning a month vacation. im coming from asia by the way! wish we would be upgraded to business class...

ira Dec 29th, 2007 03:42 AM

Hi Z,

A: get out a map. www.viamichelin.com is good.

B: Fly into one city and home from the last one on the list.

See www.kayak.com and www.1800flyeurope.com

C: Have you asked your bride how she feels about packing every 3-4 days for a month?

D: Each time you change cities you lose about 1/2 day, on some you will lose an entire day. Amsterdam to Munich is over 7 hr.

E: If you want to drive, you will pay a very large fee for pickup in one country and drop off in another.

F: Have you considered 4 major cities in 4 weeks?

G: Is there a reason why Paris isn't on your list?

> wish we would be upgraded to business class...

Don't we all? :)

Enjoy your honeymoon.

((I))

Vttraveler Dec 29th, 2007 04:59 AM

I would certainly not try to add in Barcelona and Prague to an already ambitious list of destinations. As others have noted, even with a month for travel you are going to find your proposed itinerary pretty tiring and you might want to limit the number of places you visit.

as Ira said--why not Paris? A wonderful, romantic honeymoon destination. The other cities you are interested in are all well worth visiting, of course, but I would choose Paris over any of them except Rome

As between Rome and Milan, if you have never been to either, I would definitely choose Rome

zeicht0725 Jan 6th, 2008 11:41 PM

Hi VTT Traveller & Ira,

Thanks a lot for your replies.

What about this?

London - 5 days
Paris - 5 days
Prague - 3 days
Either VIenna or Salzburg (Which do you suggest) - 3 days
Munich - 3 days then drive to Lucerne - 3 days
Rome - 5 days

Thanks a lot!

ira Jan 7th, 2008 12:01 AM

Hi Z,

You're getting better.

>Munich - 3 days then drive to Lucerne - 3 days

You will pay a very large premium to pick up a car in Germany and drop off in Switzerland.

Why Munich?

If you want to see mountains, your choices are the Austrian Alps, which you can see if you take the train from Vienna to Venice.

See the route for the 10:40 trainat www.bahn.de. You can break the journey at Innsbruck.

OR

If you drop Munich, you could visit both Vienna and Salzburg, rent a car and travel around the Salzkammergut.

How important is Lucerne? I would spend the time in Venice, especially on a honeymoon.

Hope this helps.

((I))

zeicht0725 Jan 7th, 2008 12:21 AM

Hi Ira,

I'm planning to drop by switzerland to purchase some watch which is way cheaper than here in Asia...tsk tsk tsk kinda torn ehehe