Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help - Where to get off out of london during tour de france

Old Jun 17th, 2007, 03:48 AM
Original Poster

I'm heading over to london for the start of the tour de france in july...the first stage heads from london to canterbury...I am planning to purchase a one day pass to head out the country side and get out to watch the peleton head on by....but where to get out???? I thought of jumping out at dartford or near greenhithe or woolwich...but I am only taking a guess...anyone who knows these areas who can make a suggestion??? my plan is only a day trip out and back to london as I have accomodation with a friend in london...please help
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 04:46 AM

It's not clear to me if you have seen the map of where the Tour de France will go, which may be some help.
http://www.tourdefrancelondon.com/td...ent/stage1.asp
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 02:53 AM

I had a look at that, but it isn't very helpful at the level detail OP requires. Most of the towns marked (apart from Tenterden) are easily reached by train from London, but that doesn't help with getting from the station to the route itself, let alone finding a good vantage point.

Plus, of course, one can't know where the crowds will be thickest - nearer to central London, no doubt.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 03:03 AM

As carlux pointed out, you can go to the map, then click on any portion of the map for a very detailed map, showing the precise roads on which the route is run.

Here the the Dartford map:

http://www.tourdefrancelondon.com/pd...5_dartford.pdf
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 03:36 AM

Shaneoo, I wouldn't recommend spending money to go to Dartford, Greenhithe or Woolwich, they're all pretty grim areas with little to see or do once the peloton has sped by.

My suggestion would be to head out into Kent, Tunbridge Wells for example, which is far more picturesque and has more to see than the outlying areas of London, and also has tour de France themed events planned for the day the riders pass through.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 04:04 AM

Agree with Jay-G, but Rochester is also worth considering, and is quite easy to get to by train.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 04:30 AM

Yes, definitely skip the Dartford or Greenhithe areas, even though the route passes conveniently close to the train stations. Dartford town centre is a dump full of pounds shops and chavs, and there is nothing in Greenhithe apart from houses and one macdonalds (unless you want to go to Bluewater shopping centre).

You need to get further out of London if you want countryside.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 05:07 AM

Shaneoo,

Just to make things more clear, do you care about doing anything else in or near the spot you finally decide on? Or are you planning to return to London immediately after the group passes by?
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 02:34 AM
Original Poster

yes that is probably more the case...I just want to see the peleton cruising at race pace and then will head straight back into london to watch it on tv. I'm aware that if I watch them in central london, they will be cruising at neutral pace. So I am not so concerned about the surrounds, as I am mainly wanting to watch the boys race by. (part of my cycle race addiction!!!) If there are less people there, all the better for what I have in mind. I believe from information the peleton wont start racing until after greenwich. if I had more time and planning I would have got down to canterbury to watch them finish...
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 04:05 AM

If you want to see them at speed I suggest you go to one of the sprint locations. Rochester is the first of these I believe.
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 05:59 AM

Well...if you really want to just see them then you could go to Greenhithe as the route is only a couple of minutes walk from the station.

You can see them coming down a steep hill and then back up another very steep hill.
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 10:28 AM

...and it will be handy for loo/drinks as the McDonalds is right on the corner of the route.
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

nona 1 - that sounds about perfect for what i had in mind....cheers
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 10:50 PM

There's an Asdas opposite the station too if you want to stock up on supplies.

Come out of the station, turn left, (don't get confused by signs to Greenhithe village, that's the opposite way to where you want to go) walk to the next roundabout (only couple of minutes) you'll see the McDonalds. Pick a spot round there. They'll come down the hill opposite McDonalds, round the roundabout, and then up the hill next to McDonalds.

I doubt there'll be any crowds.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

thanks heaps for the info...i've downloaded maps and am all ready to go...will report back on how it went

p.s.just need an aussie to win the stage and it will be spot on!!!
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:22 AM

My paper has been deluging me with bits and pieces on the Tour De France.

I will happily pass on the print versions to anyone actually in London already.
Old Nov 30th, 2007, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

went with nona1's suggestion and got off at greenhithe, which was perfect for what I wanted to do....got a vantage point up on a hill and got to see the peleton going flat out!!!waved the aussie flag at the aussie riders and a quick train ride back into london to watch the finish on the big screen in Hyde park....Robbie McEwen from Australia blasted the pack apart to take an impressive win in Canterbury!!!thanks for the advice it was spot on!!!
Old Nov 30th, 2007, 05:11 AM

Glad you enjoyed it. I was down there somewhere too!