Reload this Page >

HELP ! WHAT TO WEAR IN WINTER

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 1998, 06:54 AM
Dave Haragan

My wife and I are going to Paris, Rome, Venice, Vienna and Munich November 27 thru December 10. We have never been out of U.S. We are from California and have no idea of what clothes to take. please help. <BR>Dave Haragan

Old Nov 21st, 1998, 08:16 AM
Cheryl Z.

<BR>Hi - you'll need to be warm but still pack light. Dress in layers, roll your clothes in your suitcase so you not only get more in (still remembering to pack light!) but they'll be less wrinkled. Bring darker clothing, and things that mix and match. Neutral, dark clothing is best. <BR>You'll find lots of helpful info all over this forum. Remember too, you will probably want to buy clothing, like a sweater or something from a particular country. And even if it's warm when you leave, if you're bringing a heavy coat, (or bringing boots or heavier shoes) wear that on the plane rather than packing it.

Old Nov 21st, 1998, 09:23 AM
Ben Haines

<BR>Dear Mr Haragan <BR> <BR>I agree with Ms Zappala, and want to add that there is much comfort in leather gloves, a thick knitted scarf, and perhaps a hat. Also, you need two pairs of stout shoes with good soles, to keep you well in the slush, and to let you dry out one pair while you wear the other. With these goes a good supply of socks, so that you never stand around in a damp pair. <BR> <BR>Please write again if I can help further. Welcom to Europe. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR>

Old Nov 21st, 1998, 02:17 PM
Bob

We are leaving Thursday for Germany. We are also in California and have done winter in Europe before. I always take a pair of long underwear. It makes any pants warm. I usually wear them daily. You can also buy a pair of totes rubber slip ons for your shoes if you do not want to buy heavy boots or special shoes. They are cheap and they work in the snow. Watch out for the pickpockets in Rome. We were there this summer and all they say is true. Beware of any stranger approaching you, especially young girls with babies in their arms. They are the pickpockets. have a great time. <BR>

Old Nov 22nd, 1998, 03:19 AM
Myriam

Mr. Haragan, <BR>Do bring some warm clothing with you. I just checked temperatures and in Munich and Vienna the temperature is only –7°C which is 19°F. Venice and Rome 40-50°F ; Paris abt . 32°F. These are the average DAY temperatures ! <BR>If you intend to walk a lot, I would suggest to bring a pair of warm boots (or you buy them when you’re in Italy – Italy has the finest quality in leather shoes/bags at very reasonable prices) ; also bring a fleece sweater and a windbreaker. <BR>Enjoy your trip ! <BR> <BR>Myriam (Antwerp, Belgium) <BR>

Old Nov 25th, 1998, 05:05 AM
Jill

Dave- All of the suggestions above are great. We just returned from London & Paris. For women, tights are great for that extra layer. I am a very cold-natured person and two pair at once worked great for me! Paris was very cold last week - about 30 degrees. It was our first time also. Also, bring lots of BLACK or dark clothing. A scarf and gloves are a must! I also suggest for your wife Aerosole shoes - I found these very comfortable since we seemed to walk about 10 miles per day. Have a great trip!

Old Nov 25th, 1998, 05:42 AM
Tom

I leave for Munich in a few weeks for my 8th winter trip. Being from Louisiana, I'm also not accustomed to the cold. Except for Rome, which was pleasant during Christmas a few years back, I always take thermals, a black sweater, dark clothing, a water resistent jacket and a fedora. Its amazing how a hat keeps in the warmth. I also water proof my shoes, given the rain in a few areas that time of year. I pack all of this in a carry-on suitcase, so its easy to catch trains and carry your luggage. Have fun!!

Old Nov 25th, 1998, 06:02 AM
Bhavna

We went to Switzerland last year in winter, and are going again. What we found most convienient was warmers or thermals. We bought them from Walmart. <BR>They really help keep you warm. I would highy recommend buying them. They are not very expensive also. <BR> <BR>Bhavna <BR>