Reload this Page >

Help! What shoes to take?...I'm leaving in two days

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2001, 09:38 PM
Pepe

Hello Fodorites, <BR> <BR>My wife and I will be starting a 20-day trip to Europe on Tuesday. We will be visiting Paris, Venice, Florence, and Vernazza (italian riviera). <BR> <BR>I am taking a pair of black Rockports (walking shoes) that could be used as dress shoes. <BR> <BR>Also, I am considering a second pair of shoes to hike in the Cinqueterre (Vernazza) and I'm not sure if I should use my Rockports, or if I should bring another pair of shoes. <BR> <BR>What would you recommend as 2nd pair of shoes? (or tell me if not necessary) <BR>(1) brown leather sandals <BR>(2) New Balance all terrain running shoes <BR> <BR>Thank you for your help. I need to finish packing soon, so I'll be delighted to hear your recommendations. <BR> <BR>Ciao! <BR> Pepe...

Old May 14th, 2001, 12:04 AM
brownie

Just got back from paris last night and it is HOT HOT HOT there!! <BR> <BR>With all those buildings everywhere, it doesn't take a high temperature to make you feel really warm. <BR> <BR>What would have been ideal are some really good walking sandals. Depending on how much you are walking - cobblestones can hurt after a while. <BR> <BR>I'd pick somethign with a soft, cushioned sole

Old May 14th, 2001, 02:48 AM
nancy

Pepe, <BR>don't know where you are located, but even (or especially ?) in Vermont, my husabnd found, purchased and just wore a pair of Merrill sandals. <BR>He spent a few days hiking around the Utah/colorado area with these sandals and swears by them. <BR>I got to buy my son a pr for Itay. <BR>Practical and also look pretty good with pants, if it is too hot for shoes. <BR>

Old May 14th, 2001, 05:23 AM
Janie

Hi Pepe, <BR>If you have the dress shoes/walking shoes, you will definately also need to take a pair of sandals. It may just get quite hot in Europe now. Visiting the cities in Italy that you mentioned you will probably find that your sandals are extremely suitable. Most of these cities are relatively compact and you will be using buses and trains to get around the cities anyway, should you wish to visit particular museums, parks, etc. I really don't think that it is necessary to take hiking boots. In the riviera, you will most likely be stopping at townships, and any walking you do will more than likely be on paths on which your Rockports will be suitable enough. <BR>Have a wonderful time

Old May 14th, 2001, 05:26 AM
Mary

Pepe, <BR>Last year we only brought Clark's sandals to Italy-- we walked extensively everyday-- and we were fine!! We intend to do the same this year-- plus it cuts down on luggage etc. <BR>Mary

Old May 14th, 2001, 07:27 AM
Karen

I have been using fisherman's sandals which felt great and looked okay for night too...they come in leather and nubuck and many colors. We were in France and it was very hot in September and I was glad I had them.

Old May 14th, 2001, 07:30 AM
Karen

Oops.....sorry, just noticed Pepe is asking for men's shoes and fisherman's sandals would not fit the bill!