Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Help! We leave next week and I'm lost... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-we-leave-next-week-and-im-lost-697703/)

RunnerGirlGR Apr 17th, 2007 09:07 AM

Help! We leave next week and I'm lost...

What would you do in the following cities? I've listed the days we'll be there. Got some ideas already (Sistine Chapel, Coliseum (sp?), the David), but putting it all into action is tripping me up. We will not have a car; we know people in Perugia.

Rome
Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday morning

Florence--Monday afternoon

Siena
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday morning

Perugia
Wednesday, Thursday

Rome
Friday night

missypie Apr 17th, 2007 09:17 AM

Search missypie italy and you should find our italy trip report, to show you what we did.

Do you have any guidebooks? List your top three "must dos" for Rome. Then, look on a map and in a guidebook to see what else of interest is nearby. For example, Santa Maria sopra Minerva church is near the Pantheon. Note that most churches are not open all day every day, so check the hours.

Hate to tell you, but the Academia (where David is in Florence) is closed on Mondays. If you can only be in Florence on Monday, you'll be out of luck.

ira Apr 17th, 2007 10:58 AM

Hi RG,

Almost all major museums in Florence are closed on Monday.

Why are you going to Florence for only an afternoon, but staying 2 nights in Siena without a car?

((I))

RunnerGirlGR Apr 17th, 2007 11:48 AM

A travel agent set everything up for us. This is our first time to Europe; I guess we didn't know any better!

sandi_travelnut Apr 17th, 2007 11:53 AM

Go, right now, to a book store and by a good guide book for those cities. Why would you go there if you don't know what there is to see and do? Start reading!

missypie Apr 17th, 2007 12:25 PM

I agree with Sandi. Buy the DK Eyewitness Guide to Italy, and the DK Top 10 Guide to Rome. Also, buy a good map.

Also, try to get reservations for the Galleria Borghese in Rome. You will be glad you did.

missypie Apr 17th, 2007 12:48 PM

Have you read the Fodors desination guide for Rome on this site? It's not exactly the order I'd see things in, but by all means, print it out and put it in your bag. There are also some walking tours that you might like that are described in the guide.

Sounds like with only one afternoon in Florence you'll have time to see some churches (Medici Chapels, Duomo and related buildings and Santa Croce), eat some gelato, and gaze at the Ponte Vecchio. If you go to the Piazza della Signoria, you can see a reproduction of David, where he used to be. That will be more than enough to do in a half day in Florence.

Aurora Apr 17th, 2007 12:53 PM

We traveled in Italy without a car and it was fine. You can take trains for day trips. I know not many people talk about going to Pisa but the leaning tower was worth visiting on a day trip from Florence. In Rome, you can sign up for a couple of different walking tours including the Vatican and that really gives you a good idea. Don't worry, Italians are friendly people and it is easy to navigate the subway and train systems. If you don't feel comfortable doing any of these on your own, you will find bus tours in every city that take you places within and outside the city. After we got tired of walking around Rome in the heat, one day we just signed up for a bus tour to Capri and the blue grotto (spelling?) which was just wonderful. Just ask your hotel staff or stop by any visitors information booth/office. I am surprised your travel agent didn't set you up for Venice - we just loved that place - a very unusual experience and can't imagine Italy trip being complete without a visit to Venice. Anyway, enjoy your first trip to Europe - you will get hooked on it like we have been.