Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help wanted CAr for 3 days north of Paris doing war memories.

Jan 15th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Help wanted. My husband and I are renting a car for 3 days in July to do some of the war memories and part of Belgium. If anyone has first hand information we would love to hear. I know we can read tourist books which we are but first hand info is so much better. We only want to do a few rather than rushing around madly and viewing lots but remembering nothing. It is a loop trip back to Paris. Wish we had more time but for that part we don't. Any suggestions very welcome. This is such a great site.
Jan 15th, 2010, 05:40 PM

Hi again Rebecca
We are hiring an Avis vehicle at Lille to use for our explorations of the battlefields this March. We have used Avis in Europe before, and found them to be reasonably priced, and very helpful when problems arise. We have avoided using the lesser-known companies as we want a reliable vehicle with convenient pick up & drop off points, and a well known reputation. Happy travels, Di
Jan 15th, 2010, 06:30 PM

You can get a car at Gare du Nord from www.autoeurope.com (Lately, they have been supplying most of the cars through Hertz, National and Europcar.)

A loop would be a good thing to do, but the question is how big a loop would you want? There's Picardy, there are the Ardennes, and there's all the space in between. If you are over in the Ardennes, it would be a shame to miss Verdun -- and once you start adding places to see, you keep wanting to add more...

Through AutoEurope, you can also do a 3-day (or more) rental with no drop-off charge within France, so there is no need to return to Paris if you want to continue your trip from another city.
Jan 16th, 2010, 03:43 AM

I have not tried to do it all, I have visited Belgium and Normandy separately. My experience is study study study before you go unless you wish to do a guided tour, which it does not sound like is on your agenda. Much of Normandy moved me and does each time I visit, however I think the most compelling was a quiet little beach north of Utah Beach. NO one there, no one but those scattered remnants of bunkers on a lovely beach. It was startling. Unfortunately, many of the Normandy sites (As was Belgium) have become very commercialized and bear little resemblance to what was. However it is still very worth the visit as the American cemetery is incredible, Pegasus Bridge is an interesting place and the museum in Caen is (IMO) very good. If you like there is a smaller museum in Bayeux, which I remember as nice, but it has been over 10 years since I was there. I hope my rambling is of some assistance. Also (again IMO) you are trying to cover a LOT of territory, which will be more difficult because it is foreign, I think knowing the area it would be a tight fit time wise, but it always takes little more time in strange places. Regardless have a great trip!
Jan 16th, 2010, 12:36 PM

I'm a big supporter of Verdun because it is non commercial and still has all of the bomb craters in the woods.