Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   HELP w/ Switzerland Trip!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-w-switzerland-trip-745778/)

2mths_to_travel Oct 31st, 2007 05:14 AM

HELP w/ Switzerland Trip!!

Hi All,

This is kind of short notice but I am planning a trip to Switzerland for this weekend (and just now came across this site!).

I currently live in Florence (for work) so i will really only have the weekend (and potentially Monday) to see as much of the 'highlights' as I can-- sooo I clearly need input- can you help??

From all of my reading/ research so far I have my eyes on Lausanne, Luzern, Interlaken, Zurich and/ or Geneva. Since I will only have 3 nights, 3 days I need to try and make this as worthwhile as possible, and be smart about my routes, travels, etc.

I have read a ton about the panoramic trains- is this worth it and the best bet for short stays? I like to explore and wander so I am hesitant to take this route?...and can you take nice pictures from the trains?...this is very important..

Lastly- do any of you have any inclination as to the best train-plan from Florence (as in where I should plan to arrive in Friday night, convenience, etc)....this may be a long shot but thought I would ask!

Anyhow, ANYTHING you can provide me with in terms of guidance is MUCH appreciated :)

THANK YOU!!

PalenQ Oct 31st, 2007 06:57 AM

www.cisalpino.com for Italy-Switzerland trains and there could be one direct train Firenze-zurich i believe

I chose to go to the Interlaken-Grindelwald Berner Oberland area with only that time

the essence of the high Alps and any train ride you take there will be as scenic as most of the Swiss Specialty scenic trains.

Change off main Italy-Bern line st Spiez for Interlaken and then up into the hills from there

so much to do.

crckwc1 Oct 31st, 2007 07:35 AM

Ditto Bernese Oberland for short stay.
Pictures possible from the train IF you can open the window. Otherwise there tend to be glare/reflection problems. In my experience, windows on panorama trains cannot be opened.
IMO, take the fastest train you can find so that you have more time when you get there. (Or fly) Believe me, once there, there are more photo ops than you can imagine. Enjoy!

TuckH Oct 31st, 2007 08:45 AM

Since your time is so limited, why not consider not traveling so far by staying in Italy and heading to the fabulous Dolomites?

You can quickly arrive in Bolzano or Cortina from Florence and you'll certainly find many a "highlight" in those scenic mountains...

2mths_to_travel Nov 1st, 2007 02:38 AM

All of this is great info thank you! Even having limited time, Switzerland is some place I have ALWAYS wanted to go so I am just a little antsy to get there even if for a few days.

The Dolomites are still on my list-- is it really as beautiful as people say?

Steve_James Nov 1st, 2007 06:14 AM

'The Dolomites are still on my list-- is it really as beautiful as people say?'

The Dolomites are the most breathtakingly beautiful mountains in Europe IMO.

Few places even come close ... :)

Steve

PalenQ Nov 1st, 2007 06:25 AM

I enjoyed Cortina d'Ampezzo a whole lot and yes it's an awesomely scenic area.

enjoyed the scenic train from Brescia or Padua, forget, to where the bus takes you to Cortina

this is always a novel way to reach Austria from say Venice - buses go from Cortina to a nearby Austrian rail station with great links to Innsbruck and other towns.

TuckH Nov 1st, 2007 06:29 AM

Well there's your answer - I've been waiting patiently for Steve to post on this thread...

suze Nov 1st, 2007 06:37 AM

Lausanne is just outside Geneva, so those two could easily be done together in a few days (also Vevey and Montreux). All are beautiful town along Lac Leman, all right along the train route from Geneva airport.

2mths_to_travel Nov 1st, 2007 06:57 AM

Thanks for all the awesome information. I booked everything today and will be flying into Geneva friday night then onto Lausanne at some point over the next couple of days. It's a done deal!! Another place that people have been raving about recently is Lauterbrunnen- anyone have any experience here?

And yes, I agree, I was anxiously waiting for Steve's reply too..lol....I am more motivated than ever to get my Dolomites trip booked now!

I am heading to Paris next weekend and Amsterdam the next so I should keep busy. For the US Thanksgiving weekend (Nov 22-25th) I am planning to head to Rome- do you recommend I stay in Rome for all 4 days or try to fit something else close in for 2 days and spend two in Rome. I am trying to plan most time efficiently considering (in terms of Italy, I am living in Florence and I have already done I have done Pisa, Siena, Milan, Venice and Lido).

Steve_James Nov 3rd, 2007 02:55 AM

Hey TuckH - Are you on commission too ;)

Steve