Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Help w/ itinerary York/Edinburgh/Skye in Aug '06 (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-w-itinerary-york-edinburgh-skye-in-aug-06-a-598623/)

novicetraveler Mar 12th, 2006 04:32 PM

Help w/ itinerary York/Edinburgh/Skye in Aug '06

My itinerary is a moving target so I apologize for being so indecisive to all those that have helped me out already.

Since we're flying into London and out of Edinburgh in early Aug '06 (using miles, so little flexibility), we'd like to see parts of York and Yorkshire Dales, Edinburgh, Isle of Skye. I already have several Fodorites helping me on the itinerary for the York/Yorkshire Dales leg (thanks Guy, Morgana, Alan, Tracey), but need help filling in the gaps for Scotland (Sheila & Janisj, my apologies to you especially for the reworking on this).

Currently the plan is:

Day/Night 1: Fly into LHR, take train at Kings Cross to York, stay over in York

Day/Nights 2&3: Rent car at York, drive to Yorkshire Dales (Nidderdale, maybe Wharfedale), stay in Ramsgill

Day/Nights 4&5 : Return rental car in York, Train to Edinburgh in morning; stay in Edinburgh

Day 6: Rent car from Edinburgh, drive toward Skye NEED Help with sights to see on the way to Skye (can use most of the day to see sights) considering Five Sisters, Glensheil (is Loch Sheil nearby?), Eilean Donan Castle.

Night 6&7, Day 7: Skye (any recommendations for hotels/b&bs that are in good locations?)

Day/Night 8: Drive towards Stirling, stay overnight in Stirling or Callander, seeing Glencoe, Trossachs en route. Any recommendations for hotels/b&bs in Stirling and/or Callander?

Mimar Mar 12th, 2006 05:25 PM

We are starting to plan a similar trip for 2007. I am considering flying into Manchester and taking a train from the airport to York. It's about 2 hours and we would avoid the trip from Heathrow to King's Cross. (For us it would be the Paddington express, then a taxi trip across central London to King's Cross. You might use the tube.)

Leeds airport is closer to York, maybe even a taxi ride away, but there are fewer flights.

Morgana Mar 12th, 2006 11:30 PM

Hi
I think you would love the Yorke Arms. It is a 'restaurant with rooms' (please don't expect a swishy Hotel!) but has so much charm and character. The food is out of this world. The building itself is ike somehting out of a picture book. And the views! You can literally walk out of the door and be in the most beautiful countryside. However, as it is consistently voted as one of the top restaurants in the country (only its remoteness stops it being fully booked all the time) I would get it reserved as soon as possible.
Ramsgill is no more than a picturesque scattering of farms and cottages.
I am happy to draw up an itinerary for you. Hope you don't mind a few more questions though before I do.
Do you want a strictly 'driving' tour or do you want one where you get out of the car and do some exploring? For instance you can't just drive past Fountains Abbey. You wouldn't see anything! You have to park and then walk into the grounds.
Is there anywhere/anything in the Dales that you DEFINITELY want to see.
Please don't hesitate to come back to me with any questions.

Morgana Mar 12th, 2006 11:35 PM

Meant to add - have you seen the film Calendar Girls? Filmed largely in Wharfedale and it will give you a flavour of the scenery. A lot of filming was done in the small village of Burnsall, and there is a very good pub there called the Red Lion. This is the website -
www.redlion.co.uk
They do accommodation too if you can't get into the Yorke Arms.

novicetraveler Mar 13th, 2006 06:00 AM

Thanks for the reply Morgana. To your questions, we would love to walk around and explore the area. So driving, walking and exploring all sound good.

From what I could tell on the maps, I guess I'll want explore mostly the Wharfedale/Nidderdale area. I know so little about the area, but from what I've read it sounds like Fountain Abbey, Water Gardens, Newby Hall, Bolton Abbey/Priory, Skipton Castle Melham and Grassington and the Dales Way should be on our radar. Do you think that's too much in two days?

I did email Yorke-arms for availability, haven't heard back from them yet. I guess if I can't get a room there, perhaps I'll try to look into the Red Lion. Question: You said the Yorke-Arms was quietly situated, but would it be a good location as a base to see the surrounding area? Since we'll have a car, it should be relatively easy, but I didn't know if it made a difference.

I haven't seen Calendar Girls yet, I'll have to pick it up. I'm always hesitant to see movies of places I'm about to go though, I'd rather be surprised and dazzled from real-life experience.

Morgana Mar 13th, 2006 06:58 AM

Hi
Quick response as I am about to leave work for the day and I'm tired!
Yes, your suggested trips sound fine now, and I'll work on them to do you a circuit. I'll send it to you in the next couple of days. I think I'll concentrate on a day in the Dales not including Fountains, as it isn't in the Dales proper and you could easily spend hours there. Then on your 'other' day you could go to Fountains. I'll make sure you have a day to remember, although I can't do anything about the weather!
Yes, the Yorke Arms would be a perfect base, but I can't emphasise how tiny Ramsgill is. Don't expect night life because there isn't any! But the place itself is just perfect, and with a car you will be fine. Burnsall is a much bigger village, but would also suit. I can make sure you see most of your 'must see's but also I'll show you some 'secret' places that I think you will love too. Starting with Scarhouse Dam!

bardo1 Mar 13th, 2006 07:16 AM

Don't be surprised if you find Edinburgh hotels already booked for August. You'll be there during height of the the Edinburgh festivals and many places there are likely booked solid for August already. I would get SOMETHING there RIGHT NOW, you can cancel later as you spend time doing further research and you find somewthing better.

No kidding.

novicetraveler Mar 13th, 2006 08:38 AM

Morgana, that sounds wonderful. I hope I'll be able to get a room at the Yorke-arms. Any advice and help is much appreciated.

Bardo, I know we're a bit late on the hotels in Edinburgh (as well as Tattoo tickets). I have inquiries out for availability at some of the hotels. All I can do is keep trying, right?

GreenDragon Mar 13th, 2006 09:37 AM

I have a trip report from my week in Yorkshire here that Morgana helped me plan (at least, the Dales day)

http://www.greendragonartist.com/BItripreports2005.htm

The Fountains abbey could easily take a whole day!! Don't miss Jervaulx Abbey, it was my favorite of the bunch -- privately owned, and much less restored/more ruined than the others (beautiful, too!)

If you are still looking for Skye B&B recommendations, I stayed at Tir Alainn (Beautiful Country) in 2000, and would highly recommend it. It is clean, convenient and cozy. Great view, friendly host!
http://www.visitskye.com/

novicetraveler Mar 13th, 2006 06:41 PM

Morgana - I think I'm going to try to get a room at the Devonshire Fells (Burnsall) or the Ashfield House and (Grassington) and have a dinner at the Yorke-Arms (the tariff at the Y-A are steep for average rooms). Just wanted to keep you posted in case that might alter the itinerary. Thanks so much!

Morgana Mar 14th, 2006 02:41 AM

Hi
This is a pretty full day’s touring, but will enable you to see plenty of the Dales.
I have assumed you will start at Burnsall, but this route will also work from Grassington.
Take the B6160 through Appletreewick, past Barden Tower (worth 10 minutes look, free car park) www.yorkshire-dales.com/barden-tower.html
Carry on, along the same road, to Bolton Abbey. Plenty of car parks on your left , but try and get one near the Abbey (you will go through a narrow arch on the road itself).
Stop and admire Bolton Abbey. www.boltonabbey.com
The Devonshire Arms is excellent for an evening meal (the Brasserie especially).
www.thedevonshirearms.co.uk
Pick up the A59 and travel to Skipton. Find a parking place and visit the castle. Maybe pick up some picnic food for later in the town.
www.skiptoncastle.co.uk
Carry on to Gargrave on the A65, and then turn off on right, at first signposted Grassington but then turning left to follow signs for Malham. Your destination is Malham Cove.
Park in Malham village and walk towards Cove. Lovely area.
If you are feeling energetic walk to the top of the Cove. It isn’t as difficult as it looks (there are rough steps) and the limestone pavement at the top is fascinating.
Good picnic location!
www.malhamdale.org.uk/malham_cove.htm
Then in the car continue to proceed north, past Malham Tarn (worth a look) and then up to Arncliffe. This is as far north as you are going.
At Arncliffe drive towards Hawkswick and Kilnsey (probably signposted Grassington), and onto the B6106 again. Stop in Grassington (large pay and display on the edge of the village, don’t try and drive up the very steep and narrow main street).
Have a look around Grassington. www.grassington.net
Linton waterfalls are close by.
Then it is just a short drive back to Burnsall.
I was initially tempted to take you to more places, but on reflection I think the above is plenty. I am sure there will be other places on the route where you want to stop and take pictures or admire the view.
As always, let me know if you have any questions etc and I’ll do my best to help.

alanRow Mar 14th, 2006 03:20 AM

Just to point out the parking at the abbey costs 5GBP but it does allow you to park at any of the car parks on the Duke of Devonshire's estate. I'd also recommend stopping at the Strid (yes that's the spelling) car park for a walk to the Strid itself which is quite spectacular when the Wharfe is in flood

For Skipton, if you can find a parking space, take it, regardless of the cost as parking is always difficult especially on market days (Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday)

Morgana Mar 14th, 2006 05:54 AM

Alan
You obviously know the area - would appreciate your view on the Dales route I have done for them.
I dithered for ages about whether to take them further north to Aysgarth and then maybe along to Middleham, but in the end decided it would be too much. I know a lot depends on the weather too - if it's nice they will want to linger at Bolton Abbey and Malham for instance.
Do you think my route is ok? I've tried to time it in my head and think it will easily be a full day out. But any comments from you will be much appreciated.

novicetraveler Mar 14th, 2006 06:28 AM

You are all WONDERFUL!! Thank you for making such an effort to be helpful. I wish I could reciprocate somehow. Any trips to NYC?

Morgana - I'm having such a hard time getting a response from my inquiries for a room. After more research, my first choice is the Sportmans Arms (Wath in Nidderdale - please don't re-work the itinerary, I'll work my way over to your suggestions wherever we stay). After reading some reviews, I'm not interested in the Devonshire Fell or Ashfield House. I'm looking for something charming and comfortable with good service, but around the 120 pounds/night price-point. Any suggestions?

Morgana Mar 14th, 2006 07:07 AM

I know the Sportsmans - good choice. Lovely location and great food.
M

Morgana Mar 14th, 2006 07:23 AM

I've been snowed in today, couldn;t get into work, so have had a bit of time to post on here.
Don't worry about the itinerary - it can be tweaked from wherever you decide to stay.
Some more suggestions for accommodation -
www.thebluelion.co.uk (very nice, but not sure if it blows your budget)
www.tennantarms.co.uk/home.htm - perfect location
www.yorkshirenet.co.uk/stayat/scarlodge
www.knowleslodge.com
www.yorkshirenet.co.uk/stayat/falcon/
www.rookerycottage.co.uk/
www.waterfordhousehotel.co.uk/

alanRow Mar 14th, 2006 08:30 AM

"Alan
You obviously know the area - would appreciate your view on the Dales route"

Seems a reasonable route, I might have gone east from Grassington to www.stumpcrosscaverns.co.uk/ then to Pateley Bridge to one of the glass makers & then visit http://www.parcevallhallgardens.co.uk/ before joining up with the Bolton Abbey Road & heading to Skipton

Morgana Mar 14th, 2006 08:44 AM

Thanks Alan - so mnay wonderful places.
I think it's best if we wait to see where they end up booking accommodation, and then we'll put our heads together?
M

novicetraveler Mar 14th, 2006 09:00 AM

The Blue Lion looks lovely, but I think it's further up north than I'd like to be.

I did get reservations at the Sportmans Arms (interesting, I found it better to call directly than to rely on email. I'm a little nervous, I made the reservation over the phone, and they don't give written confirms. They just asked me to confirm by phone before arrival. Does that sound right?).

alanRow Mar 14th, 2006 11:25 AM

And 20 minutes south of Skipton is Haworth & Bronte country