Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help w/ booking train travel in Spain. Valencia or Seville?

Apr 30th, 2014, 11:01 PM
Original Poster

I'll be visiting Spain May 20-30. I'll be arriving in Madrid and meeting up with my daughter. We plan to head to Barcelona that same day. After 2-3 days there, we will then travel to Valencia and stay for 2 days. Finally, we'll travel to Madrid and spend the remainder of our trip there. I have never been to Spain. This will probably be my only trip there in my lifetime.

What I need help with is:
1. what are my non-air travel options between theses cities? I'm thinking that train travel probably makes the most sense.
2. Is there one main website to book train travel, or are there several to choose from? What are those websites? I will need schedule and pricing information, so I'm hoping to find that info on the web somewhere.

3. What websites or service can you suggest for booking accommodations in Barcelona, Valencia & Madrid?

4. I'm considering trading Valencia for Seville. Would I lose many hours of travel time doing this? Which city would be best to see if I want to just enjoy the sights, architecture, and culture (food, atmosphere) ? (I'm not much into museums.) I've heard rave reviews about Seville, but also very nice things about Valencia. I'm figuring that it would not make the best sense to try to see 4 cities in these 10 days. What do you think?

Thank you in advance!
Apr 30th, 2014, 11:42 PM

1 Train or bus. Maybe even car hire.
2 http://www.renfe.com/ for instructions please read the best website about the oddities with RENFE. http://www.renfe.com/
3 http://www.booking.com/ It is the only website which has genuine reviews.
4 cites in 10 days is not so rushed as some posters want to do here. It will give you a good balance of some parts of Spain
Apr 30th, 2014, 11:51 PM

1. Train - www.renfe.com (or buses, but you appear not to be time wealthy)
2. Yes, the best prices and you may still have a chance at good discounts, is as above.
3. There is many a directory like www.booking.com
4. Do your own maths. with travel time.
All I will say as an aid to comparison is, Seville is like a different country.
And 'seeing' 4 cities in 10 days when you include travel time, is too fast a pace for me, but I am not you.
May 1st, 2014, 03:45 AM

Three cities is plenty verging on too many - adding a 4th would make a nonsense of the trip - more time in transit than actually doing/seeing things.

IMHO Seville has it all over Valencia since the former reflects the very unique moorish influence in southern Spain - both charming and fascinating - that you won;t see elsewhere. might

However, you are now going in both directions from Madrid. You might want to consider train from Madrid to Barcelona and look into flight from Barcelona to Seville (although you can do it by train in about 5.5 hours), then train back to Madrid.
May 1st, 2014, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much, everyone. For the record, I'm not thinking of adding a 4th city to our tour. What I'm considering is visiting Seville INSTEAD OF Valencia.

Wombatt, thank you for your comment about Seville being very different from Valencia. This is the kind of information that I don't know (yet). If Southern Spain provides a very different experience than Valencia, then maybe that would be better to visit so we can experience a wider diversity of Spain.

Thoughts on the differences, anyone?

Thank you!
May 1st, 2014, 09:21 AM

I take it neither you nor your daughter have given this much thought. Spain is not a small country and the differences from one region to another can be amazing; landscape, climate and culture.

If you actually have 10 days on the ground, visiting three of Spain's major cities may feel a little rushed, and doing a loop; Madrid-Barcelona-Valencia-Madird might be a little too much, even though you can go by train, city center to city center. It just doesn't give you much time to enjoy each destination.

Doing Madrid-Barcelona-Sevilla-Madrid, with such a short itinerary, doesn't make sense. The fastest train from Barcelona to Sevilla takes 5-1/2 hours and flying isn't much quicker. Either way you will end up loosing most of the day.

You need to take a look at a map and read a good guide book (Fodor's Spain isn't a bad place to start).

And since you haven't booked your accommodations, you need to that settled as quickly as possible. The 20th is only 19 days from now.