Help w/10 days in Italy

Search

Help w/10 days in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help w/10 days in Italy

A girlfriend and I decided to celebrate turning 35 in 2005 with a trip to Europe end August. We're flying in/out of London to visit friends. We'll have 7 nights beyond that to plan - thinking Italy would be a good option. I've already seen lots of France/England and some of Italy. We're thinking the Riviera. Just wonder what the highlights would be and how to mix in places that are fun for singles in there (vs. sleepy romantic towns).
We're certainly thinking Cinque Terre - maybe Portofino. What about Florence, Venice, etc? I've heard Aug. isn't the greatest month to travel Italy - although not sure the implications to be honest. Is Spain any better? Will it be stinky in Venice?
Thanks for helping us plan!!
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 05:55 PM
Doble_Vergasser

In most of England and Europe, the elementary and high schools are in session from Sept to July. Therefore only off in August. Most countries in Europe give every worker five plus weeks of vacation. This creates the issue with August (there is a huge increase in the vacationers. It becomes THE month for travel.).

I have been to Porto Fino, altho' only for a few hours. It is a pretty spot but it is not large. Maybe there is more to it but it seemed liked 6 small hotel and 6 bar/restaurants. If you are looking for A LOT of night life, I don't think Porto Fino will do it.

August airfare will not be a bargain. Can you do Sept or October?

Old Jun 19th, 2005, 08:37 PM

Hello em111, I am not sure what you mean when you say "Ive heard Aug. isn't the greatest month to travel Italy - although not sure the implications to be honest".

Since you don't consider implications to be honest may I gently suggest that you travel in Italy during August and than you can make up your own mind whether the "implications" are honest or not.
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 08:55 PM

the reason people say that august isnt the best travel month is that its vacation month in europe, lots of things close etc. but italy is such a tourist attraction it shouldnt be a problem (although may, june and september are ideal) i've been to the south of italy, but have heard its beautiful-same with cinque terra i know three seperate people who rave about it-as for me italy is definitley one of my favorites-i did venice, florence (plus a day in tuscany) and rome in about 9 days last summer with a friend and it was a great trip. any remote chance that venice is "stinky" lol is outweighed by the beauty of the city. although 7 nights is sparse to fit in cinque terra the riviera and the major cities-i would pick a region and focus on that-if you have any questions about specifics let me know-enjoy your trip! daniella
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 09:02 PM

LoveItaly: I think you misunderstood what em111 meant - totally understandable since she wasn't all that clear.

I read it as (paraphrasing here) "I've heard Aug. isn't the greatest month to travel to Italy - although, to be honest, I'm not sure why".
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 09:19 PM

Hi janis, you may be right. Guess I am to much of a "white & black" person and read the comment to read that she didn't think the implications were honest.

Anyway, I will concede that that em111 didn't mean what she wrote.

About Italy in August. I will not visit Italy in August unless I am in the Dolomites . Even right now my daughter & SIL who are in Rome due to a serious family problem told me last night that even now in June Rome is so hot and humid it is horrible.

I have had family members visit Italy in
August and they had a terrible time. Especially in the major cities. And I have been in Florence in July and thought I would die due to the heat and humidity.

Any Italian that can escapes to the mountains or the seaside in August. And those that can't complain the entire month.
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 10:52 PM

"Any Italian that can escapes to the mountains or the seaside in August. And those that can't complain the entire month. "

Not so true anymore. Although Italy does slow down at lot in August, businesses increasingly keep at least some staff around, and people have shorter vacations, or split up their vacation periods more. Many simply can't afford to go away for a month - vacations cost money, especially in the August peak, and Italy is in an economic crisis.

Those of us who remain in the cities enjoy them - there's far less traffic, and in recent years the big cities try to keep people entertained, so there are free concerts, outdoor movies, etc. It's hot and humid, sure, but often less so in August than in June. During the second half of August there's often rain, which cools things down a lot.

Air conditioning is also increasingly common in Italy, though still not as common (or as freezing cold!) as in the US.

So don't be afraid to come to Italy in August, though personally I would avoid the beaches as they will be horrendously crowded, noisy, and expensive.

As for me, I'm going controcorrente and spending my summer vacation in India. <grin>

best regards,
Deirdré Straughan

www.straughan.com (personal)
www.tvblob.com (work)
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 11:05 PM

Hi Deidre, I must take issue with your post. I have lots of friends in Italy that are like family. I also have family in Italy. August is not a month they like unless they can go to the mountains or the seaside. Most of them have homes in either the mountains or the seaside or both.

I did not say that all or the majority of Italians can escape to the vacations spots during Italy. But let me assure you that those that can't do complain, I know, I have had several conversations with Italians in Italy this past couple of weeks.

Best wishes.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 05:39 AM
ira

Hi em,

For your 7 nights in Italy I suggest either

Venice 3 nights and Florence 4 nights or
7 nights in Rome.

Check www.whichbudget.comfor cheap flights.

Old Jun 20th, 2005, 05:41 AM

Deirdre- Congratulations on the MBA!I am planning my first trip to India (October '05) and hope you will post a trip report on the Asia board when you return. (sorry to hijack the post,folks)
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 06:18 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have been to Venice twice, both times in August. I enjoyed it very very much. Yes it was hot. No it was not "stinky in Venice".
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 07:49 AM

em111,

I was in Santa Margherita ( Italian Riveria- a few miles by bus from Portofino), Florence and Pisa last August. Yes, it was very hot, but we still had a wonderful time. You will find that the coast is full of vacationing Italian families, but for us, that made our trip more enjoyable.

Florence was definitely the hottest and most humid of all our destinations. If you're not an art fan, you might want to leave it for a cooler time of year. At any rate, I'd definitely recommend only booking hotels that have AC ( although in Rurope don't expect the AC to match US expectations), and doing the bulk of your sightseeing in the early morning hours and in the late afternoon hours. Inbetween, take plenty of gelato breaks!

With 7 days, I don't think you can squeeze the Riveria, Cinque Terre, Florence, and Venice into your itinerary. And if you're worried about the heat, have you thought about possibly visiting the Italian Lakes? Geographically speaking, it would make a very convenient and easy trip from Venice by train.

Anyway, post again once you decide what you want to do. And, as I'm sure you know, you need to decide soon in order to find decent hotels during the height of the tourist season!

Good luck!