Help Us Find a great Agriturismo in Tuscany or Umbria for Our Family

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a week in Italy as a family celebration for our 50th Anniversary.We will be 8 adults and 4 kids,coming together in June.At first,I was looking for a villa,but I am beginning to think a really nice agriturismo would work better for the kids:lots of space;possibility of other kids;maybe animals and definitely grapes or olives.Have any of you stayed in places you would recommend??I know there are lots of them listed in SloTrav,but I prefer to start here.Locations around Cortona,Todi,Pienza,Montepulciano or Siena would be great.Ideally,we would like to be near a village.Your thoughts?????
Old Feb 10th, 2010, 08:37 AM

4carolina
I would look at either
Agriturismo Marciano or Casa Portagioia
Old Feb 10th, 2010, 08:46 AM

I think this is such a great website for what you're looking for. You can narrow down the search to places with pools, horseback riding, restaurants onsite. You might enjoy not doing any cooking or cleaning up, but they also have many places with kitchens. Plus you can specify you want to be near a village.

http://en.agriturismo.it/ricerca.shtml

You can find some user reviews on that site. But if you find a place that sounds good to you and you don't see a user review, try Googling it or looking on Tripadvisor.
Old Feb 10th, 2010, 09:52 AM

Better yet, rather than trust a search engine for good info, find the personal reviews of rental properties by region at www.slowtrav.com Also look at their good guidance about picking a good rental. Location to me is the first criterion
Old Feb 10th, 2010, 11:49 AM

Can also recommend Summers leases for villas in Tuscany and Umbria. We have used their services for 3 years. We found them on slowtrav.
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks,Fodorites! Because I am choosing a place for 3 generations of my famiiy and because we're celebrating a significant marker event,I want so much to 'get it right'...and right,for my family means charmingly Italian and lovely and comfortable accommodations,and fun for the kids and conveniently located for trips to restaurants and historic villages,and,and,and... AGITA[sp.?]
SO...I have lived on the SloTrav boards for Tuscany and Umbria for days,reading and reading.We also have a somewhat limiting budget;its our treat,all of it!!!Le Case Gialle,an Agriturismo near Bevagna,seems perfect,and has room for all of us.The trip reports are extremely positive,but rather dated....Do I take it on faith that it is still what it was??? I am still wide open to suggestions! Congratulations,Bob!!you recently celebrated your 50th !!
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 02:22 AM

bookmarking
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 06:03 AM

If you like good food I suggest you Montepulciano.
This agriturismo http://www.italy-farmholidays.com/ag...ile/index_html has nice prices and services like tennis, child animation, the possibility to do some excursion or walks and a swimming pool too. It's near Siena and other nice cities very interesting to visit. If you go to visit Montepulciano I suggest you to eat in a caracteristical tavern where you can enjoy many tipical dishes.
Happy Anniversary to everybody!
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 07:41 AM

Le Case Gialle is a good choice for Umbria.
Look at www.cretaiole.net in Tuscany
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 08:33 PM
Original Poster

With SloTrav reviews as our guide,we have chosen leManzinaie,near Montepulciano for our stay.It gets lots of raves,and its location will allow for great day trips.many thanks for those great suggestions.
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 07:41 AM

Good choice--have fun !
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 11:42 AM

My husband and I just booked Le Case Giallie for mid June based on all the positive reviews. I think it sounds like a great choice.
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 10:33 AM

mikster, I stayed at Le Case Gialle in 2005 (5 of us, 2 apts) in late May and we were very happy with the location and the choice. We used Bevagna (nice little walled town down in the 'flatlands') for most of our food shopping. I read about LCG first on Slowtravel and then got lots of good details here on fodor's.

If you are lucky there will be fireflies in the olive grove (a treat for me, a transplanted US east coaster now on the west coast).
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 01:47 PM

We just booked 3 nights at Le Caggiole outside of Montepulciano. Very highly rated on Tripadvisor. Very reasonable also.
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 08:18 AM

In Nov 2008 we spent 3 nights at the La Frateria di San Benedetto just outside of Montepulciano. We had their annexe which is a separate little building off the main one. It was really nice, also has a pool. The other building has 4 apts, so 5 total. Beautiful views of Montepulciano above. The location was great and central.

Here is their website : http://www.s.benedetto.it/

I also have more photos on my website if you are interested :

http://kellyee21.smugmug.com/Tuscany...26102394_saQgf
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 12:35 PM

I've tried to look up some of the above suggested places and none seem to list their prices. Is there a way to get that info without writing to every owner? Am I missing something?
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 12:51 PM

mikster - how was Le Case Gialle? Let us know!