Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Help us decide, Rome or Paris with an 18 mo old. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-us-decide-rome-or-paris-with-an-18-mo-old-687222/)

swalter518 Mar 12th, 2007 11:54 AM

Help us decide, Rome or Paris with an 18 mo old.

We're planning a trip in early November to visit relatives in Sicily. Since we'll be traveling with our 18 mo old we know we want to spend a few "lay over" days prior to going on to Sicily to break up the flight times a bit. My question is, which city, Rome or Paris, would you feel most comfortable taking an 18 month old? She travels very well and is very well behaved in restaurants (at least right now). We love both cities and just can't decide so help us please!!

GSteed Mar 12th, 2007 12:08 PM

First: consult with your pediatrician. Next: air travel is host to multiple air borne diseases. Politely I ask, why such a trip for the tiny one?

LJ Mar 12th, 2007 12:17 PM

I would pick Rome because the people are so much more responsive, IMHO, to small children. This makes going out to dinner and just wandering around more comfortable. And as a Mom who took her baby to England, Italy, Austria, France and Scotland and ALL over the US and Canada, as a small child, you have NOTHING to worry about from disease for a healthy toddler.

There are many posts on here about traveling with a child so I won't re-state all those suggestions..

However, it is important to "practice" the air flight by doing longer car-trips if that is not part of your usual life. You, baby and your fellow passengers will all be happier.

Best wishes!

swalter518 Mar 12th, 2007 12:27 PM

Our girl has already taken 3 round trip trips at this point of 3-4 hours with no problems on flights. We also take longer car trips out of town regularly so she's as conditioned as she can be I think.

As for illness, our pediatrician has absolutely no concern for travel to western Europe (no more for travel than anywhere in the US.)Our ultimate destination will be Sicily to stay with relatives on the Navy base there. GSteed, I politely ask why would you be more concerned for European travel than US travel?

LJ, that was my initial impression of Rome too but I've never traveled there with a young one before so I wasn't sure.

Madiec Mar 12th, 2007 01:18 PM

Hi,
We took our 12 month old to Rome and Florence. We had a blast. She was light, so we could put her in a backpack carrier. Rome was great. We could not use the stroller much due to the roads there. Food for the kids is fun too.

mari5 Mar 12th, 2007 01:26 PM

I don't want to interfere but I've been doing some research lately on a possible trip to Sicily.
There is a good 737 flight on British Airways NON STOP from London to Catania ,Sicily....so London would be another option for a layover. (from the U.S. I assume>). American Airlines is code share with BA!
Any of the 3 cities , or others in Europe, would be fine with an l8 month old. (Rome being the LONGEST flight on the first leg!)
Sounds like a nice trip, and Nov. will be wonderful!

Phread Mar 12th, 2007 01:36 PM

It is a toss up. People may be more baby friendly in Rome, but Paris has more parks where baby can sit in the sandbox while Mom and Dad enjoy some pretty amazing art (Tuileries, Rodin). But since you are already going to Italy, might as well make it a theme and go with Rome.
On the other hand, baby's first crepe?

katesbelsogno Mar 12th, 2007 01:40 PM

I vote for Rome. Being an American living in Italy 6 months of the year, alot of that time in Rome, I find it very kid friendly. I do love Paris but for your own personal enjoyment and leisurely time, I say Rome! Also, your little one will LOVE the gelato!! Ciao!

ira Mar 12th, 2007 01:48 PM

Hi S,

The child "will little note, nor long remember what" you do in either Paris or Rome. :)

Since you are going to Italy, I suggest stopping in Rome.

Unless you have never been to Paris.

In that case, go to Paris.

Enjoy your visit.

((I))

kangamom Mar 12th, 2007 02:24 PM

Both of those cities sound great, though I haven't been to either with a toddler (we go to Paris next week with our 2y/o). We did, however, go to Austria/Germany when our son was 18 m/o and it was great. I've heard from my friends that have visited Italy that most Italians just love kids and will make all sorts of special accomodation for them. Another reason that I would pick Rome is that my son loves pasta!

Also, the best thing I ever purchased for travel (we have flown all over the world with our son) was a small portable DVD player with long battery life.

christycruz Mar 12th, 2007 03:50 PM

I love both these cities too! My child has been to both, and Paris twice.

Either is fine. If it was me, I would prefer going to Paris and then Sicily, to have a taste of both cultures in one trip.

I thought it was much easier to find playgrounds in Paris than in Rome. And although Rome has a very nice city park, it really doesn't compare to Lux. Gardens.

The Parisians are a little more reserved, but are not immune to the charms of a cute 18 mos. girl!

It's great you've been to both cities before. You can enjoy them without pulling your toddler from one site to the next.

swalter518 Mar 14th, 2007 04:29 PM

Oh, I'm so confused! My only thought at this point is to go with the cheaper flight! I do love Paris and haven't been there as recently as Rome but I love the Italians love for kids which I have witnessed firsthand. And Mari, we will be flying into Catania so that confuses things even more, I guess my only thought there is that the dollar is even weaker against the pound than the euro so it might cost more all other things being equal! Such a dilemma :)!

Are the climates noticably different between the two cities that time of year?

Millie64 Mar 14th, 2007 05:07 PM

I have college age kids but traveled with them every year to Europe (husband is British). We used to go to France a lot and the only issue most restaurants refuse to serve you until very late and it took forever. Paris has some places you can eat earlier but I vote for Rome..

mlaffitte Mar 15th, 2007 04:44 AM

I'd vote for Rome, simply because you're more likely to have nice weather there in November. When you're traveling with a small child, that can make a big difference. A walk in the fresh air or a visit to the nearest park are a great tonic for boredom and fussiness. Being cooped up indoors with a fretful little one is no fun.

ira Mar 15th, 2007 04:58 AM

Hi SW,

>I do love Paris .... I guess my only thought there is that the dollar is even weaker against the pound than the euro ...

They use euros in Paris.

It's the UK that uses pounds.

((I))

swalter518 Mar 15th, 2007 07:32 AM

Ira,
Sorry to confuse, I was referring to Mari's post where she suggested London as an alternative to Paris and Rome.

swalter518 Mar 16th, 2007 11:33 AM

Anyone else have any thoughts?

LJ Mar 16th, 2007 11:40 AM

There are those that believe that there is no such thing as a wrong decision, just a wrong attitude...you know what you want to do , just do it and ENJOY!

mweiner Mar 16th, 2007 11:42 AM

Paris. It is relatively flat. Rome is hilly. There are also lovely parks in Paris and some have areas and equipment for children. Try the Parc Monceau.

Paris also has a nice zoo, Disneyland and a more accessible metro system for strollers and prams.

Tere Mar 16th, 2007 11:47 AM

I sugest Paris. Though I love Rome I think you will have more trouble crossing the streets with all the traffic in Rome because they just don't stop at pedestrian walks.

I also sugest you go where you like it the most. In every country there are people who love children and people who don't, so it's up to you!