Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help! Urgent Swtzerland travel info needed!

Old Jul 30th, 2011, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I am planning to visit Switzerland from Copenhagen wih my parents for just 2 or 3 days. I am looking at booking tickets either to Zurich or Geneva. But once there i need info about what places to visit ( scenic) and how much does the train tickets cost and how to get there etc..etc..any info is appreciated. I need the info ASAP as i need to book my tickets 2day.My email is [email protected].

Thanks in advance,
Anita.
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 06:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can check train ticket costs at www.sbb.ch

click on the "EN" version
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 07:02 AM

with just a few days I would hop a train from Zurich Airport right to Interlaken and head into the hills - the fabulous Jungfrau Region that is the epitome of the glacier-strewn ice-girdled Alpine peaks wonderland etched in your minds' eyes - the Switzerland of the travel brochure pictures and IMO the absolute best place for folks on limited time to spend a few wonderful days.

Head to base up in the hills in a lovely Alpine village like Wengen, a perpetual favorite with Fodorites, where from your flower-bedecked chalet-style hotel balcony you can get intoxicated by the awesome scenery without imbibing a bit of booze - or, of course with some hot toddie as well!

zurich airport to say Wengen would take about 3 hours by train - finally changing to impossibly toy-like Alp climbing trains to reach Wengen. Use it as a base to say hop on the famous Jungfraujoch train to Europe's highest train station and a sea of perpetual ice - walk to a glacier - sweeping panoramas all around, the famous ice grottos, etc. You can use trains, aerial cableways, etc to get to lots of neat places or if into hiking there are walking paths for all degrees of difficulty.

With that short time just buy your tickets upon arrival at the airport train station - for lots of great info on Swiss trains and the Jungfrau region transports check out these fab IMO sites - www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.swisstravelsystem.com - latter site has a link to the www.sbb.ch site where you can check regular fares.
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Original Poster

Hi,

Thank you both for your respone, especially PalenQ for the detailed respone! Right now i'm finding cheap tickets only to Geneva, any suggestions??

Thanks!
Anita.
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 07:42 AM

Well, you can spend your time on Lake Geneva basing in Montreux or Vevey at the foot of the Alps. Take the train from Geneva sirport directly. Geneva itself is not so interesting though as I remember the shopping's good.
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 07:47 AM

Look at this thread for things to do around Geneva: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-in-geneva.cfm
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 04:24 PM

Lake Genevia is fine but the awesome Switzerland of glacier-girdled Alps is only fulfilled in places like the Berner Oberland or Zermatt or Saas-Fee or Engleberg - lake Geneva is nice but it does not nearly fulfill the picture IMO of the Switzerland most folks hope to find. May as well go to Annecy in France - on a similar lake near the foothills of the Alps or the Bodensee straddling Swiss-German border - fine places but not the totally awesome Switzerland in truly Alpine regions.
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 10:25 AM

Well from Geneva to Interlaken is only at most three hours by train - right from the airport so that is what I would do and if going back to Geneva you could then spend a day or so on the lake in a sweet town like Vevey or Montreux - or of course the day you arrive.