Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Help! Trying to plan 5 day trip to Graubunden/Engadine area of Switzerland (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-trying-to-plan-5-day-trip-to-graubunden-engadine-area-of-switzerland-895247/)

Eticat Jun 16th, 2011 02:15 PM

Help! Trying to plan 5 day trip to Graubunden/Engadine area of Switzerland

My parents are visiting me in Europe from Australia in late August.
I’ve decided to plan a 5 day trip for us all to Switzerland, a place they fell in love with when they passed through on a previous trip but that I’ve never been to.

I want it to be perfect as I don’t see them often and this is a once in a lifetime trip for us all. I’d like to plot a route that’s a little bit off the main tourist track and encompassing lots of scenic mountains and characterful villages. I’ve literally spend days researching in books and am more confused than ever on the best way to approach this trip.

Basically, I’m thinking we’ll fly in/out of Zurich and get a train to Chur to start the journey.
I’d like to explore a loop of the Graubunden / Ticino region, taking in towns such as Chur, Guarda, Scuol, Mustair, Zuoz, St Mortz, Bellinzona, Andermatt, Disentis/Muster.

I’m also quite keen on doing at least part of the Bernina Express (I’ve read that the part around the Bernina pass is the most scenic).

Is it best to hire a car of rely solely on trains or a mix of both?
(I was thinking that car would be more convenient given that my parents are in their late 60s and might not want to carry their belongings on their back for 5 days)

Does anyone have advice on a route to take in this region?
Finally, will we need to pre-book all hotels on the route at this time of year (1st week September) or will it be ok to find accommodation as we travel?

All help much appreciated – I’m pulling my hair out trying to sort out this puzzle on my own!

mokka4 Jun 17th, 2011 03:42 AM

With only five days in the area, you'll have to narrow down your list of must see cities to really soak in the local culture.
Choose one (or two) towns and take daytrips in the area.
That way, your parents will only need a small day pack.
All of these towns are accessible by train OR bus, I personally would not bother with a car.
I visited this area last June...stayed in Pontresina and visited Chur, Arosa, Ardez, Scuol (loved Motta Naluns lift--great hiking possibilities here!), Samedan (loved), Poschiavo (loved) and Soglio (would have loved if no fog).
If interested, click on my name and read my trip report under something like "Can a fear of heights and love of Sw co-exist?"
Keep in mind that this area is well off the tourist track. I doubt that prior reservations would be necesssary.
You will find 'Ingo' on this board is a wealth of knowledge for the area.

Eticat Jun 18th, 2011 12:45 PM

Great, thank you!

mjnbrown Jun 19th, 2011 04:56 PM

I have stayed in Pontresina, which is a nice little swiss town. I took the Bernina Express from there to Tocino(I think), just across the line in Italy for lunch and then back to Pontresina in one day. It's a beautiful train ride - you can get off at any of the towns and explore. Then just hop on the next train. There are lots of hikes from the Pontresina area. I would avoid St. Moritz, personally. I went there for dinner one night (while I was staying in Pontresina) and as soon as I got there, I wanted to be back in Pontresina. That whole area is great - I'm sure you'll enjoy. I would definitely stick with the trains and find one place (or 2) to stay in - then do day trips from there.
Martha

mokka4 Jun 20th, 2011 09:16 AM

ttt