Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Help!! Travel tips from Frankfurt to Munich... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-travel-tips-from-frankfurt-to-munich-77424/)

Maria Jun 26th, 2000 03:38 PM

Help!! Travel tips from Frankfurt to Munich...

We are traveling to Germany for 5 days in August and will rent a car. Which rental car companies would you recommend? (We are flying from the US to Frankfurt.) <BR> <BR>How long should we expect it will take us to drive from Frankfurt to Munich? We would like to stop in Rothenburg on the way. Would you recommend driving all the way to Munich the first day or staying somewhere in between?

Deborah Jun 26th, 2000 04:42 PM

I have traveled from Heidelburg to Munich three times. If you leave in the morning (nine-ish), you can be in Rothenburg for a nice lunch (maybe 1:00 or so). YOu can certainly see the village and walk the wall in two or three hours. It's quite small. You can easily be in Munich by dinnertime. I understand there are some great small hotels in Rothenburg (Rick Steves gives info in his books) that may make the trip even more enjoyable, though, so you may want to stay there. <BR> <BR>Have fun! <BR> <BR>Deborah

Ken Horn Jun 26th, 2000 05:09 PM

Maria- Shop the various car rental companies in the US and make a reservation here before you leave. The rates vary almost daily. <BR> Frankfurt airport to Munich is 4-5 hours if you don't get stuck in traffic. Going from Frankfurt to Munich shouldn't be a problem. Be careful how you return though. <BR> Rothenburg is a 2 hour drive from Frankfurt. I would personally opt to spend a nite in Rothenburg before going on to Munich. They have a web site <BR>www.Rothenburg.de that provides a lot of info on hotels. Have a good time-

wes fowler Jun 26th, 2000 05:39 PM

Maria, <BR>Considering that you'll be suffering the effects of jet lag, I wouldn't recommend driving from the Frankfurt airport directly to Munich upon your arrival. The suggestion to break up your trip with an overnight stay in Rothenburg is a good one. Rothenburg is about 120 miles and two hours drive time from the Frankfurt airport. When you resume your journey towards Munich be sure and spend some time in Nordlingen and Dinkelsbuhl on the Romantic Road; they're both quite charming and considerably less crowded with tourists than Rothenburg. <BR> <BR>Check the auto rental companies Autoeurope and Kemwel. Both have websites, both are highly reputable and both usually offer the lowest rental rates available. By all means make your rental arrangements from your home, not Germany; you'll invariably get better rates by doing so.

Stacey Jun 27th, 2000 03:41 AM

Maria, <BR> <BR>I usually use Budget and have had great luck and good rates. If you can give them the impression that you're traveling for business as opposed to leisure, you sometimes get better rates - although I have no idea why.

maggi Jun 27th, 2000 04:05 AM

We're going to Germany in August and I found the best rates so far from Avis.

jim Jun 27th, 2000 11:48 AM

Just back from Germany and here's how I did Frankfurt-Munich. We drove from Frnakfurt to Rothenburg (2 hour drive) and spent the night. Then drove on to Munich. Drive from Munich to Frankfurt was about 4 hours. I don't know about Wes, but I'm a zombie when I get off the plane after flying all night from the U.S. I could not have safely driven 4 hours from Frankfurt to Munich the first day.

Kevin Jun 27th, 2000 11:53 AM

Maria, <BR> <BR> My wife and I did the same trip last year! We landed in Frankfurt and headed straight for Nurenburg. We told the rental company it was our honeymoon and got an upgrade to an Audi A4! Nurenburg was a beautiful town, see it if you have the time! We then continued on to Rothenburg for a half day and stayed the night in Dinkelsbuhl. Staying in Rothenburg is tough because it it so small with winding streets. We then continued on to the Bavarian region, staying a few nights in Garmisch and seeing all of Ludwig's castles. Only after all of that did we finally make it to Munich. I know this is a longer version than what you are planning, but it was some of the most beautiful country we have ever seen! If there is any way you can lengthen your trip, don't miss Bavaria, the people are unbelievably nice, the food is incredible, and the sights are out of this world! We followed the Romantic Road almost the whole way down and the name does not do it justice! Have a great trip!

Maria Jun 27th, 2000 02:51 PM

I am convinced! We will stay somewhere (yet to be decided) between Frankfurt and Munich-why rush, right?! :0) <BR> <BR>The Hotel Gerberhaus was suggested as a possibility...Any other suggestions?

Gayle Jun 27th, 2000 05:57 PM

I am leaving for Frankfurt Germany this Thursday, June 29. We arrive Friday Morning at 10am. I have booked The Krone hotel for two nights in the Rhine. Its only 40 miles from Frankfurt so I thought that would be a nice place to rest for two days. <BR>I went thru Avis for the car, I used them last year for Amsterdam and Belgium. Had no trouble.(Although we did not need a car in Amsterdam)This year Avis quoted me $173.00 plus tax for a mid size car with Unlimited mileage for one week. Auto Europe quoted much higher. <BR>I then plan to go to Rotherberg and stay at the Burg Hotel for two nights. Then maybe Munich if we have time. i left a couple of nights open incase we change directions. Hope you have a great trip. <BR>Gayle