Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help!!-travel from Manchester to Sheffield..How??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 1998, 05:37 AM
Prerna

I'll be leaving in Feb. to study in Sheffield.Arriving at the Manchester airport,I was wondering if I should take the train or go by coach to Sheffield? Also anyone out there can tell me a little something about the city,I'd appreciate it! thanks!

Old Jan 4th, 1998, 04:33 PM
JOAN DOYLE

Dear Prerna: I was going in the reverse direction at the time%3D%3Dbut I found the train eminently satisfactory. Probably the coach that takes you from the airport into town will pass near the station (ask the driver) and let you off. Sheffield is a nice enough town. The presence of the University moderates the rather dark, grey aspects of the city's industry. I did historical research there for two or three days and found everyone I dealt with pleasant and helpful. I hope you will find the same. Joan

Old Jan 6th, 1998, 10:20 AM
prerna

Hi! My name is Prerna and I'm from Bombay,India. I have just accessed
the forum at fodors on the web and found your reply to my query . I hope you don't mind me writing to you, as I love making new friends and I also
have many questions regarding Sheffield (having been there for a few days,maybe youcould tell me some more) . Before you start thinking,
'where does she get off?', I'd like to say a little something about myself:
I am 23 years old and am a practicing journalist in Bombay,I recently was accepted on a post-graduate course (in broadcast journalism) at the Sheffield Hallam university. Though I do have their brochures and prospectus, I cannot ask them a few, more-detailed questions, which I hope you may be able to answer.
I will be arriving in the second week of Feb 98. and was wondering what the weather would be like at that time? What kind of clothes should one carry (coming as I do from a tropical, and much warmer country)? When did you visit the city?
I have heard that Sheffield is a friendly city and I am looking forward to spending a year, studying there.
You did call it grey... is it very morbid? Does it have a 'study' environment? I've heard from some folks (friends of mine in Leeds and York) that Sheffield's really industrial..is that true?
I hope to hear from you soon.Thanks a lot!!
regards, Prerna.

Old Jan 6th, 1998, 10:52 AM
Ben Haines

The times you want are in table 174 of the Thomas Cook European Timetable. Trains run hourly direct from Manchester Airport railway statio to Sheffield, and take an hour and forty minutes. Monday to Saturday leave 0633, 0733, 0833, 1042, and hourly (with small variations) to 1943, then 2051 and 2145. Sundays leave by bus 1035, 1235, 1335, and by train 1450, and hourly to 2150.

When you get out of the station do not walk straight down the road into City Square, but drop down the stairs to your right, do not cross the pavement, and the bus stop where you are has busses up to Sheffield University. They take luggage.

How did you get on with the British Council Library and with the web sites that I listed yesterday ?

Ben Haines

Old Jan 9th, 1998, 06:35 AM
Fiona Neilands

About the weather: February tends to be the worst month of the year, expect rain, cold and possibly also cold. Bring warm clothes, an umbrella and a coat and shoes that won't let too much rain in.
Don't worry contary to popular belief we do have nice weather - just not in February!
I've got friends studying in Sheffield and they all think it's great. It can seem a bit dismal and industrial but it's a very friendly city.
Good luck.