Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Help, Transportation questions from in Venice from train station to Arsenale stop and ..... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-transportation-questions-from-in-venice-from-train-station-to-arsenale-stop-and-695159/)

julieann Apr 9th, 2007 04:43 AM

Help, Transportation questions from in Venice from train station to Arsenale stop and .....

We are staying at the B&B Gli Angeli in Venice and arriving by train. We need to get off at the Arsenale stop. Will vaporetto #1 get us there or does it only go as far as San Marco - I can't tell from info. I have. IF it only goes to San Marco what do we get on from there? How will we know we are on the right lines and when to get off? I know line 1 is a slower way but I think it would be a good chance to view the city. Any info. would be appreciated. Also, we are flying out from Venice - best way to get to the airport economically? How long do we plan for trip to airport? Thanks much!

ira Apr 9th, 2007 06:59 AM

HI J,

Vaporetto routes and schedules are at www.actv.it/english/

>..best way to get to the airport economically?

VCE or Treviso?

((I))

julieann Apr 9th, 2007 08:54 AM

We are returning through VCE - thanks for the website!

ira Apr 9th, 2007 10:41 AM

Hi J,

Cheapest way to Trviso would be Vaporetto to Piazzale Roma and bus to VCE.

Also check www.alilaguna.it/

Quickest way is by water taxi - about 85E for the boat.

((I))

julieann Apr 9th, 2007 01:00 PM

I have figured out from the site that the train station is called the Santa Lucia (Ferrovia) and I found the the Arsenale stop on line 1. I still can not figure out if you have to switch or how to get the various times or how often the vaporetto traveles between these destinations. Any more help?

ira Apr 9th, 2007 01:23 PM

Hi J,

Ferrovia is on the no. 1 line.

Just get on the first no.1 that comes along and get off at Arsenale.

Now that you have found the route, go back and search the schedule for the no. 1.

((I))

ellenem Apr 9th, 2007 01:56 PM

The vaporetti are labeled. The boat landings are labeled. They are not speed boats, so you will have time to reads the signs. If your vaporetto is crowded, it pays to make your way to the exit a stop or two early, since the vaporetti only land briefly, just long enough to discharge and take on waiting passengers.

During the day, vaporetti run every few minutes along this route. The only other trick is to be sure you are take vaporetto in the correct direction.

jjkbrook Apr 9th, 2007 03:09 PM

Definitely get a map. There is one with the Orario on the ACTV website but I was too impatient to find and link it for you.

On your specific situation, there are a couple of pairs of lines - 41/42 and 51/52 that may be useful to you since they go through the giudecca canal and stop at arsenale or at (very close) San Zaccharia. You need to be careful you are going in the right direction, however, or you will get a LONG ride around the other side of Venice before you get to your destination.

If you are in a hurry to get from Arsenale/San Z to the station or Piazzale Roma, this id definitely quicker than winding through the Grand Canal.

julieann Apr 10th, 2007 03:52 AM

Thanks so much Ira, that is just what I needed to know!

ira Apr 10th, 2007 04:01 AM

You are welcome, J.

Also note jj's alternate route.

((I))