Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Help! Trains crossing borders between Czech Republic and Germany

Help! Trains crossing borders between Czech Republic and Germany

Apr 15th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Help! Trains crossing borders between Czech Republic and Germany

I'm having a problem with my train reservation from Prague to Nuremburg. If I go to either the Czech or Germany railway sites I can buy a full ticket for the trip but it is much more expensive than buying the individual segments from Prague to Furth im Wald (border town) and from Furth im Wald to Nuremburg.

I want to purchase those segments individually but for whatever reason the online reservation system won't let me do so. (Of course I can purchase the full reservation at the higher price, just not the smaller segments) I need to make the advance reservations because this is during the World Cup and it is a day before the Czech Republic plays in Germany so I'm guessing the crowds on the train are going to be quite large (thus a reservation for peace of mind).

Any tips on what I should do or what I might be missing?

Thanks in advance

Apr 15th, 2006, 05:26 PM

Well - I suppose you could try purchasing them at different times under different variations of your name (ie one use full first name and another use first and middle initials). But you run the risk of having the second sale declined - and then have to buy the full ticket anyway.

(Are you sure the two half tickets are really less - are you being quoted them in the same or different currencies?)
Apr 15th, 2006, 07:02 PM

I'm not quite sure how the logistics would work (perhaps someone onthis board can help you), but the cheapest way would probably be to buy a ticket in Prague from Prague to Furth im Wald, and then in F.i.W. buy a Bayernkarte for EURO 18 if you are by yourself or EUR 23 (I believe)m if there are up to five of you travelling on that single ticket.

There are some limitations: You can't use the Karte before 9AM, and you are limited to trains that are NOT EC, IC or ICE.

At the worst, you just would have to skip a train in F.i.W. Don't know how much timw youi would lose, but check it on www.bah.de
Apr 15th, 2006, 08:06 PM

Mind your schedules. Not all trains between Prague and Nürnberg cross the border at Furth im Wald. The 9:15 train from Prague does; I think all direct train might. The 10:15 train crosses (actually changes trains) at Cheb.

BTW, the Czech Rail website does not show fares from Prague to Nürnberg. It only shows fares to the last stop in the CR.
Apr 15th, 2006, 08:29 PM

Czech Rail has an offer called SONE+, that is similar to the Schöneswochenende ticket (valid Sat./Sun). There is an overlapping area along the German Czech border where both are valid. Thus you can buy the SONE+ ticket for 130 Kc (about 4 EUR) and travel from Prague to Kirchenlaibach, where a ticket to Nürnburg is about 15 EUR.
Apr 15th, 2006, 08:49 PM

Unless you're looking to get advance-purchase online special pricing, why not just get the tickets at the station and tell the man/woman exactly what you want? It's not like all trains sell out, that's not a high-speed high-frequency route.

Also know for your German train travel that picking slower trains can half your expenditure.

WK
Apr 15th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I'd have no problem waiting til the day of the trip and then buying the Prague to Furth i Wald leg, getting off there and then purchasing the Furth I Wald to Nuremburg leg (it is about 15 Euro cheaper this way). Since I haven't travelled this route before and knowing there might be increased traffic due to the World Cup I felt it might be better to purchase in advance. I'll have to check out a couple of those options mentioned above.

Thanks
May 22nd, 2006, 08:34 AM

Hi - Sorry I can't help you much, but maybe you can help me? I can't figure out the online reservation site to book the full ticket from Prague to Nuremburg - what site were you using?
Hope you worked out getting the segments - Thank you!
Kim
May 22nd, 2006, 12:14 PM

Hey, I just noticed that, with one exception (gets into Nürnberg at 2:53 AM), all train connections between Prague and Nürnberg are regional trains. You can't reserve those trains, so advance purchase of tickets won't help. Your best bet is proabably to buy your tickets the day before in Prague and get on the train early to assure having a seat.
May 22nd, 2006, 12:22 PM

Trains inside Czech Rep. cost close to nothing. If the train crosses the border you'll be charged far more, the "international rate". It's wise to buy a ticket just far enough to reach the border town, then buy another ticket once you crossed the border. And buy a Karta Z too!
May 22nd, 2006, 12:29 PM

Logos,

if this is his only trip in CR, will he save enough with the Karte Z to make it pay? Also, I believe he will have to have a passport size photo with him when he gets the Karte Z.

For the travel in Germany, a Bayern ticket is probably the best deal, particularly since the trains are all regional. If he is in Germany before this trip, he can buy the Bayern ticket at any red DB ticket automat. If not, he can buy the Bayern pass online at the DB website, and it will be mailed to his home.
May 22nd, 2006, 12:38 PM

Last time the Karta Z was about 3.50€ and gave 40% off any ticket. Compare that to a Bahncard... One ride to Prague and the card pays off.
May 22nd, 2006, 12:52 PM

According to the Czech Rail site, a Z card costs 100 Kc (Czech Koruna, about €3,50). The fare from Prague to Furth i. Wald is 126 Kc (€4,46) with the card (226 Kc (€8,01) for the card plus the fare), 204 Kc (€7,23) without the card.

So, if he has any travel in the CR before the Prague to Nürnberg trip, it would be at least slightly worth it to get the card.

Search this Thread