Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Help!! Train Fare (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-train-fare-329388/)

1tony Jun 20th, 2003 06:41 AM

Help!! Train Fare

I am trying to make reservations online for a eurostar train from Rome to Naples and it asks for type of fare, what type would I want? It doesn't tell me what each one is.

Also we are flying into Rome at 8:40 am, do you think we have enough time to the Rome termini from the airport to get on a 10:45 am train?

Thanks

GeoffHamer Jun 20th, 2003 07:01 AM

If you want an explanation of what the types of fare are, then tell us what choice you are being offered. Only you can know what you do not underastand. There are stopping trains every hour from Roma to Napoli which take less than three hours, with no seat reservations to worry about. The Eurostar trains are quicker but the journey is not too long whichever train you catch; rather than worry about catching a specific fast train, why not just buy a cheap ticket and get on the next train ?

Alice_Twain Jun 20th, 2003 07:02 AM

Place your reservations as you arrive in Rome. Enven if you do not find a seat on an Eurostar trains, you will find plenty seats on the Intercity trains. If you decide to book from home, make it the next train (12,45) and cross your fingers: if the plane is on time, you maight make it even for the 10,45, but with airplanes you never know.

ellenem Jun 20th, 2003 08:12 AM

1tony: You can't make reservations on the Trenitalia site if you are outside Italy. You can make reservations through a company like Raileurope, but they will charge you a high premium--not worth it. Buy your tickets when you arrive.

You will be cutting it close to make the 10:45am train. I believe there are hourly departures from Roma Termini to Napoli, so you'll have plenty of options. When you catch the train at the airport for Roma Termini, you can buy your tickets all the way through to Naples. At that point you will have a good idea of what train you can get in Roma.

You will probably want a Eurostar (fastest, most costly) or IC (Intercity--a few more stops, medium price). Both trains offer first and second class.

With Eurostar you get an automatic reservation and seat assignment, and if you miss the train, you must re-reserve.

With IC, you can take any IC train. You can pay extra for a seat reservation, and if you miss the train, you can take any other IC but you will have no reserved seat.

Do a search for GAC and Italy trains. This poster has listed detailed descriptions of the Italian train options in a few recent threads.

ira Jun 20th, 2003 10:24 AM

Hi Tony,

Unless you are over 60 or traveling as a family, you want the regular fare.

Trying to make the 10:45 out of Rome is cutting it very close. It takes 1/2 hr to get from FCO to Rome TE and then about 15 min to get to the train to Naples.

Thus, you would have to take the 9:30 train from the airport, which leaves you less than one hr to get your baggage and clear customs and immigration. Assuming that your plane arrives on time.

I suggest that you plan on 1st cl on the IC train at 11:27.