Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Help!! Stuck in Vienna for 9 hours (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-stuck-in-vienna-for-9-hours-215130/)

Kim Dec 13th, 2001 09:15 PM

Help!! Stuck in Vienna for 9 hours

Hi, we never meant to go to Vienna, but because of Sabena's bankruptsy, now me and my parents are on Austrian Airlines and have a layover in Vienna for 9 hours before getting to our real destination, Prague. So, we are going to leave the airport and walk around and try to get the feel of the city. Since we do not have any time at all, I just want to get to the important part of the city and maybe get the feel and have a good lunch. I know I do not sound too excited, but it is such a shock to have the plan changed at the last minute and having to plan out 9 hours layover with my parents in a city I never considered visiting... Please tell us where we should go... -- Thanks!

BTilke Dec 14th, 2001 12:23 AM

Hi Kim,<BR><BR>A good starting point would be St. Stephansplatz, reached by two subway (Ubahn) lines. Go into the cathedral, then walk up the Graben, come back and walk up the Karntner Strasse. For a really good lunch in a pretty restaurant with excellent service, turn in on Weiburhgasse (about a block from St. Stephans, walking from the cathedral, you turn left at a store with a big Mont Blanc sign). Then walk down the street until number 4 (about a block) to the Restaurant zum Weissen Rauchfangehrer (means white chimney sweep). I've eaten there about a half dozen times in the last two years and have always had a VERY good meal and good service. Lunch hours are 11:30 to 3 pm. After lunch, walk up to the Opera and then catch one of the trams going around Ring (or walk if you're in the mood). They will take you past many of the main sights and you can hop off if something catches your interest. You don't say when you're going, but if it's in the winter, you could always rent some skates and do a little skating with the locals on the rink in front of the Rathaus. Or simply get a glass of warm spiced wine and watch them. Walk around some more, then stop in Demel's or another pretty cafe for coffee and a pastry (you can try Sacher torte but I think it's way overhyped and find it dry and much less appealing than many other pastries available in Vienna). <BR>The Vienna airport has some nice cafes, actually, including a wine bar. And I have always had a good experience with Austrian Airlines, so hopefully your trip will go smoothly.<BR>BTilke

Julie Dec 14th, 2001 04:44 AM

Reading your request, my first reaction was--and why are you complaining? Then I thought, this will be fun, I can answer and tell him/her lots of fun things to do, then I read BTilke's response and realized there's not much I can add. A perfect suggestion of exactly what one should do if "stuck" in Vienna for 9 hours. The Chimney Sweep is a delightful restaurant. The only thing I might add is to try to stop for a quick bite at the Nordsee place on Kartnerstrasse--terrific fast food, including lobster and great lox sandwiches. If you have any time left after doing all those things catch another tram and head for the Belvedere Palace. If there's not time to see the interior and the beautiful Klimt paintings at least walk around the grounds to get views from the front and the back. It is so graceful and lovely. Wish I could get 9 hours in Vienna. Enjoy.

BTilke Dec 14th, 2001 06:45 AM

Julie, thanks for your kind remarks and also for mentioning NordSee. They're probably my favorite fast food chain, I've become addicted to their lightly fried scholle. In addition to the one on Karntnerstrasse, there's also a newer one just off the Graben (from St. Stephans, take the Graben up to the end, the Nordsee is just on your left). <BR>BTilke

Ursula Dec 14th, 2001 06:50 AM

BTilke: There is a NordSee branch at Zurich's main train station, just in case! Don't know about Basel though. I am not a big fan of it.<BR>It's ice cold here, don't forget to pack warm for Lucerne.

Sarah Dec 14th, 2001 07:18 AM

What do mean stuck MY FAVORITE CITY IN EUROPE. Taste the cakes, research the galleries then visit, go to the opera or listen to the Vienna Philharmonic. WHAT DO YOU MEAN STUCK? Stuck is not knowing about this wonderful place!!! Sorry to be harsh but if you spend any time at all here you will see what I mean. With only nine hours I was see about a double decker city tour, not sure if they offer.....DEFINATELY BUY SOME PASTRIES!!!

Sarah Dec 14th, 2001 07:20 AM

there is a restaurant in Vienna famous for schnitzel can anyone help me out with the name. It is affordable and delicious.

Sarah Dec 14th, 2001 07:29 AM

You all have brought back such warm memories of Vienna. What is winter like in Vienna? I have only visited in early December. How far am I from skiing? Can I access ski resorts for a day trip out of Vienna. Also how cold can I expect it to be in February? Is a 4 day trip feasible from NYC? I can ski on no sleep.

bettyk Dec 14th, 2001 07:43 AM

The famous place for Schnitzel is Figmuller's. I also like the idea of Demel's for coffee and pastry or Cafe Central in Palais Ferstel. Here's several good websites to check out so you will be familiar with Vienna:<BR><BR>http://www.magwien.gv.at/english/<BR>http://www.virtualvienna.net/aroundvienna/aroundvienna.html<BR>http://www.tourist-net.co.at/wien1e.htm<BR>http://www.worldexecutive.com/cityguides/vienna/index.html?src=wexec.guides<BR><BR>

mark Dec 14th, 2001 09:47 AM

Just got back from Vienna - my first visit. A beautiful, easy to get around city. I had dinner at Korso - in the Hotel Bristol - really incredible, pretty pricey. They have a prix fix lunch that is suppose to be a real bargain. The food was incredible - it is located right near the Opera House (easy to locate on the Ring). Check out Fodor's restaurant rec's. <BR><BR>A great cafe is the Central Cafe (?) Cafe Central. Yes it's a tourist trap - but if only all tourist traps could be so elegant and beautiful. I spent an hour or so each day sipping a couple irish coffees, listening to a jazz tio and trying various tortes. Located inside the Ring near the Hofburg.<BR><BR>I found the Viennesse very helpful and polite.

Julie Dec 14th, 2001 09:48 AM

Kim, I know this was already mentioned, but I really enjoyed getting on the tram near the Opera and taking it around the city (a complete circle). I did this on my first day in Vienna and thought it gave me a really good lay of the land. I know your time is short, but the ride doesn't last that long and sometimes you just need to get off of your feet and let the city go by your window. It's a lovely experience.

mark Dec 14th, 2001 10:00 AM

sorry - meant "jazz trio"<BR><BR>

don't panic Dec 14th, 2001 11:32 AM

Kim don't panic, it happened to me two years ago: call 911 and you'll be released in a couple of hours