Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help: Solo Backpacking Week in Norway's Fjords

Old May 13th, 2014, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm finishing up a stint as an au pair in Gothenburg, Sweden, and will have 8 days to spare before meeting my sister in Athens at the end of June. I would love to see some of Norway's fjords at the beginning of my travels (worried if I save it till the end of my 10-week trip, my funds will have been exhausted), but am not sure about how best to approach it. I am 24, working with a tight budget (by Scandinavian standards anyway) and will be travelling on my own.

I plan to bus in and fly out of Oslo, but I've been already, so I don't need much time there. I've been reading trip reports, reviews and suggestions, but I've not come across much that applies to someone travelling on their own. I won't be renting a car and I would prefer not to camp. I do love history, architecture, being on water and hiking.

Norway in a Nutshell seems like it's cramming a lot into one or two days, and I would prefer to go at a comfortable pace so that I can really take in what I'm seeing. It kind of seems like it's just a long commute (but I may well have that wrong). Thoughts on its value?

I know that with only 8 days I won't be able to see everything I'd like to, but Preikestolen (Pulpit Rock) and Bergen are currently topping my list. I just keep coming across more "must-do" places and would love some itinerary recommendations for a first-time fjord visitor!

Thanks!
Old May 13th, 2014, 07:10 AM

https://picasaweb.google.com/stuartt...uHk6iIgbSEgAE#

Thought that perhaps these Norway pics could give you some ideas..lotsa fjord pix, Norway in a Nutshell, Oslo and Bergen, Trondheim, Alesund,Lofotens, Tromso, etc.. Scenic beauty at every turn. Have fun.
Old May 13th, 2014, 09:04 AM

Consider staying here:

http://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldet...FQGTfgodDV0AsQ

We stayed there while driving in fjord country, but some guests were without cars and planned to bike, hike, or kayak in the lakes in the high mountains. The host seemed to be very helpful in that regard.
Old May 15th, 2014, 10:52 AM

Take your own time doing NiN. No need to do it all in one or two days - best spread over a few days and savoured. Preikestolen is reached from Stavanger - trying to combine that with a trip to Bergen will eat up a meagre budget and a day's travel each way. To save on transport costs buy minipris rail tickets available 90 days in advance.
https://www.nsb.no/en/