HELP!! Review of La Cal Cina

Dec 15th, 2000, 04:55 AM
Ray

HELP!! Review of La Cal Cina

Hello all: We are planning our Honeymoon and places to booking quickly. Does anyone have a review of La Cal Cina. Is this a clean,Romantic, & well situated hotel in Venice? The room is a double room with a canal view for 260,000 Lire. Would you reccomend this hotel?

Thank You for taking the time to help us plan.

Rome and Capri recommedations are welcome as well. Thanks Again

Dec 15th, 2000, 07:27 AM
Paule

Well, it depends upon your expectations of romantic! I happen to love this hotel-- it's small, charming, comfortable and wonderfully situated on the Guidecca Canal, not the Grand Canal. In my mind, it's perfect-- in Dorsoduro, not in the middle of the tourist crush, yet still close to everything.

It's a renovated, 19th century (?) building, and the rooms are bright and airy with a few simple pieces of furniture. It's got a clean elegance to it, but it's definitely not ornate or especially fancy. It also has excellent air conditioning, which is not true of all hotels in Italy. The breakfasts are wonderful, and you can sit outside and have breakfast on the floating deck in front of the hotel (I loved that!). It also has a small roof terrace, which you can reserve privately.

If you're looking for an older villa-style place, this is not it. But I also stayed in the Pensione Accademia, a very popular hotel with a lot of the character of the older buildings, and I preferred Calcina's quiet elegance.

Dec 15th, 2000, 08:12 AM
Ray

Paule.
Thank you for your description and recommendation.

Ray

Dec 15th, 2000, 09:04 AM
elaine

These are the comments I've copied into my Venice file from this forum. I have not stayed there.
June 2000: "LA CALCINA Dorsoduro 780, Venice 30123. Disembark from Vaporetto at the Accademia Bridge stop. Take the street to your left and walk across the width of Dorsoduro. Turn left; La Calcina is about 100 yards down. It fronts the Giudecca Canal. The walk from the Accademia Bridge is abour 5 minutes.
(tel: 041-5206466 / fax: 041-5227045 / email: [email protected]).
I must take some time here to lavish praise on this wonderful little hotel. We had room #3, which had 2 large
windows looking out on the wide-open vista of the Zattere, the Giudecca Canal and Giudecca Island across the way. Along with this gorgeous sight to greet us every morning, we enjoyed the best and most abundant
breakfasts of our trip in La Calcina's charming breakfast room. However, the best part was really the large floating terrace in front, which was bathed in sunlight from sunrise to sunset every day. We luxuriated on this
deck every afternoon, sipping cocktails and soaking up all the incredible atmosphere which only Venice offers."

Dec 16th, 2000, 03:13 PM
Judy

Dear Elaine,
Your description of La Calcina is lovely. I wonder what do you see when you look out across the Giudecca Canal? Churches? Residences? Other hotels?

Dec 17th, 2000, 06:59 AM
Paulo

You won't see hotels Judy. The only bigger one, Hotel Cipriani & Palazzo Vendramin, is located in the left end of the island, quite far away. Other hotels/pensions (like the youth hostel, Pensione Casa Frollo, etc) are housed in small and low buildings. You'll see the relatively wide canal and the opposing waterfront lined with a few small churches, relatively small and low houses/buildings and the scene is dominated by Palladio's Redentore church.

For a taste a view from the La Calcina see (I've seen better pictures)

http://www.virtourist.com/europe/venice/28.htm

Paulo