Help re: Willett Hotel in London

Jan 20th, 2000, 03:06 AM
Lu B.

Help re: Willett Hotel in London

Has anyone stayed here? I have booked it for a week in the summer. It is one of 3 properties and it looks great for the money. In the Sloane Square neighborhood. Any input appreciated!

Jan 20th, 2000, 06:23 AM
Ann

Believe it or not, I stayed at the Willett in 1971 and have never forgotten it! Back then the single room with private bath on the top floor (no elevator) was 3 pounds/night and my British friends thought I was being way too extravagant (I was in college and my parents found/paid for this hotel). It's a small townhouse style place, and back then I was given two keys...one to my room and one to the front door. It is NOT a B&B though, it's a small hotel.

I researched the hotel in '98 when I returned to London and was not surprized to find I really couldn't afford it this time...(no parents paying the bill) but was totally impressed by how they had upgraded and redesigned it. I'd love to return.

Well, as for location, etc. it's great. Just half a block down from the Sloan Sq. tube station, same for Sloan Sq. and the start of Kings Road. Lovely, not too touristy neighborhood. Royal Court Theater at the corner (at least back then...).

Please report back after you stay there. I'm really interested to know if it's still as nice, or probably even nicer, than when I was lucky enough to stay there. Ann

Jan 20th, 2000, 08:50 AM
Maggie

We stayed at the Willett for four nights in Sept 96 and were very happy. It is a small hotel so it does not have the amenities (bar, restaurant etc) of a larger place. But there is very nice breakfast room and the breakfast was good. Our room (which was one of the less expensive)was absolutely fine. Decorated in English Country House style, very comfortable bed, excellent bathroom, room was certainly not huge but larger than others we stayed in on our trip. Staff was very helpful and as you know, the location is superb. Also, although it is a one minute walk to Sloan Square, the hotel is on a very quiet residential street so it is not too noisy. We would definitely stay there again.

Jan 20th, 2000, 08:51 AM
Lu B.

By the way, here is the website address for the Willett:

http://www.eeh.co.uk/willett.html

Jun 1st, 2000, 07:01 AM
Lu B.

Anyone out there stayed at the Willett recently? I am booked for next month and wanted to check one more time! Are there plenty of restaurants/pubs nearby to walk to.

Has anyone eaten at Zafferano's? I have reservations there (necessary), reservations for tea at Brown's. I cannot get tickets to Lion King...I call daily! I only need two, so I'm hopeful...

I've seen Mamma Mia, does anyone have any suggestions for not-so-hot tickets to obtain?

Is it really worth buying a hair dryer locally? I have thick hair, need lots of wattage! And my daughter is staying on so she could use on her trip...where to buy? A pharmacy?

Any other London thoughts are appreciated! Thank you all...

Jun 1st, 2000, 07:21 AM
Lori

Can't answer about the hotel, we alwasy stay in an apartment, but I can about a hair dryer. Buy one - it's worth it in the long run. I have alays used my converter and adapter and had no problems whatsoever going back over 20 years but I've gotten paranoid so last month when in London I bought a Braun hairdryer at Boots (pharmacy chain, they are all over the place) for about $17.00. It worked very well and I'll take it back next year too!

As for shows, we saw the Lion King and thought it was a waste of money (personal opinion only) but the costumes were great. Since you saw Mamma Mia (wonderful - can't wait to see it again) you might want to check out Witches of Eastwick - it just opened at the Royal Drury Lane. I'm trying to find out some info on it myself - has anyone seen it??? Fosse was good but only if you like dancing, there is no "plot", it's just musical numbers. Any of the shows that have been running a long time should be easy to get tickets to tho. Try and get to The London Eye, it's worth it - views are great.

Jun 1st, 2000, 02:09 PM
Jm Haley

We just returned and got tickets for LesMiserables at box office about 45 minutes prior to show time for 1/2 price.
We also saw Shakespeare's Tempest and got senior discount via mail.
Fellow travelers saw MamaMia and enjoyed the show--paid full price.