Reload this Page >

Help re Stay at Locanda dell'Amoroso

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2002, 07:14 PM
Susan

I would greatly appreciate your advice regarding our stay in Sinalunga. We have reservations at Locanda dell'Amoroso for two nights in May (check-in Friday afternoon, check-out Sunday at noon). We chose Locanda dell'Amoroso because it seemed a peaceful place to stay after 3 full days in Florence.<BR>With our short stay in Sinalunga, would you recommend visiting other towns in the area? Or should we plan on simply enjoying the grounds and area around our hotel? We will not have a rental car (too frightened to drive in Italy), but we would consider hiring a car and driver to see other towns.<BR>On a side note, should we consider spending a night in Siena or San Gimignano after our 3 night stay in Florence? Or would you recommend a day trip to these locations from Florence? The Hotel La Collegiata in San Gimignano seems like a good choice. So does Hotel Certosa di Maggiano in Siena.<BR>Thank you for your help.<BR>Best regards,<BR>Susan<BR>

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 04:19 AM
stephen

get a car, or a driver, go to montepulciano, and other town 4 sure. we stayed at amarosa about 5 years ago- we enjoyed it

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 09:31 AM
arney

I agree with Stephen--Get a car (driving in that part of Tuscany is very easy) or a driver and go to other towns. I suggest Montalcino. Have lunch at Ristorante di Poggio Antico on a Brunello wine-producing estate, Tel/Fax 0577/849200. Try the Menu a Degustazione (tasting menu) with a glass of Brunello. Fabulous. Reservation required.<BR>After lunch (allow about 2 hrs for that), explore the town, then go to the nearby Abbey of Sant'Antimo to hear the monks say Vespers in Gregorian chant. According to legend, Charlmagne founded the abbey. Rates as one of the finest Romanesque churches in central Italy. Definitely call ahead to check Vespers or Mass times, which can change or get canceled. Tel. 0577/835669.

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 11:01 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Susan, Why go to Tuscany if you do not plan to tour. Your hotel choice is wonderful, but driving is easy. Would you choose to drive in the Napa valley?<BR>What about Vermont? It really is very similar.

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 12:07 PM
Susan

Thank you for your comments and the great suggestions for Montalcino.<BR>Dear Bob:<BR>I am terrified to drive on the freeways in Los Angeles, but if driving in Tuscany is similar to driving in Napa Valley, we should have no problem. We could certainly rent a car in that case.<BR>Where would be a good location to pick up and drop off a rental car?<BR>Thank you, again, for your help.<BR>Aloha,<BR>Susan

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 12:12 PM
Elsa

Locanda is VERY nice, but it is not w/i walking distance to anything so unless you plan to TOTALLY relax I think you would be bored. There is a nice swimming pool, but unless you plan to read & swim all day you should get a driver to show you around the area. You really should visit other towns. If you go to the Rants & Raves section of Fodors you will find everyone (the last I checked) gave the place almost all "5's". We ate both evening meals there. Very convenient, excellent food, and great ambiance. I would agree w/ Bob, you might as well go to VT if you don't get off the property (as great as it is).

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 12:27 PM
Susan

Thank you, Elsa. We look forward to dining at Locanda, and will visit other towns. So far, Montepulciano, Pienza, and Montalcino seem like good choices nearby.<BR>Would anyone know whether Assisi is too far? Or would that make a good day trip?<BR>Thank you, everyone, for your comments.<BR>

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 01:04 PM
arney

Dear Susan,<BR><BR>Picking up a car could pose a problem. I doubt any of the major car-rental firms--Europcar, Avis, Hertz, etc.--have an office in Sinalunga. Most will deliver a car to you by request, but that's liable to cost an arm and a leg, depending on where they have to drive the car from. You could pick one up in Florence. The major firms have offices near the main RR station, Santa Maria Novella. But then you're going to have to navigate your way out of Florence and you also will have to take the A1 Autostrada (toll turnpike) south, in the direction of Rome, and get off at the Val di Chiana exit, the nearest to Sinalunga. Would take about 90 minutes-2 hrs.<BR>I've never driven LA freeways, so I'm not in a position to compare them to the autostrada, but autostrada driving is usually easy as long as there is no traffic jam. Just get in the slow lane and stay there. What most Americans are unprepared for is the speed at which many Italians drive on the autostrada. That's why you want to stick to the slow lane if you can. If you get into a passing lane to pass a truck or one of those slow-moving three-wheeled vehicles, some speedy Italian will be on your bumper before you know it. They go like blazes.<BR>Why not ask the Locanda if it can arrange a local car rental for you? It's worth a try.

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 01:13 PM
Susan

Thank you, Arney. I will contact Locanda and request their assistance in finding a car. And my fiance and I will definitely take your advice and visit Montalcino and St. Antimo. My guidebook barely mentions it but there are wonderful comments re Montalcino on this site.<BR>Kindest regards and aloha,<BR>Susan

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 01:19 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Susan, Get your car in Siena--the pick -up is near the train station and outside of town. From there, you are :30 from Sinalunga--an easy drive.<BR>Take the road south from Amorosa to Montepulciano and then #146 west to Pienza and hopefully as far as Montalcino. This is why you went to Tuscany--do not miss it.

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 01:41 PM
Susan

Thank you, Bob! That sounds like a good plan. If I could trouble you with one more question: After our 2 night stay in Sinalunga with day trips to surrounding areas, should we return the car in Siena? Or is there another easy location on our way to Rome? (Rome is the next stop on our itinerary.)<BR>Also, because you are so wonderfully knowledgeable, would you please offer some advice on my itinerary thus far? I posted "Itinerary for Italy Trip - Advice Appreciated" last night.<BR>I am so grateful for your advice.<BR>Aloha,<BR>Susan

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 06:48 PM
Dayle

Dear Susan, We picked up our car in Siena and dropped it in Orvieto. Both quiet easy locations, although neither office was right at the train station. I drove all over Tuscany & Umbria with for a week with no problems. We did stay off the autostrada. One note: just be sure to pop into the first public parking lot you see when visiting hill towns. We missed the lot in Montepulciano & ended up on the steep,narrow streets with no clue how to get out again. That was the only stressful moment!

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 07:16 PM
Susan

Dear Dayle:<BR>Dropping the car off in Orvieta sounds like an excellent idea. That would give us the opportunity, perhaps, to see Todi as well. After returning your car in Orvieto, did you visit Rome? I would love to hear more about your travels in Tuscany and Umbria.

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 08:28 PM
Susan

Dear Dayle:<BR>Dropping the car off in Orvieta sounds like an excellent idea. That would give us the opportunity, perhaps, to see Todi as well. After returning your car in Orvieto, did you visit Rome? I would love to hear more about your travels in Tuscany and Umbria.

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 11:24 PM
Gabrielle

Susan - if you go to Orvieto, make sure you visit the lady that makes ceramic clowns - in a little shop just off the main square where the big church is. I bought one 18 years ago when i was 21 and then another last year when i was there. You will see them no where else in the world and she will pack it well for you. They are all in the most beautiful pastel colours and the detail is amazing. It is hard to find things unique these days as you would know. Also - you must not miss San Gimignano - a picture perfect hilltop town - great hotel is Hotel Leon Bianco in the main piazza (I am from Sydney Australia) - we are going too in a couple of weeks - maybe we'll see you there - don't be scared of driving - If I can do it, anyone can!!!

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 03:07 AM
Elsa

You can drop off your car in Orvieto (just make sure the company you rent from has an office in Orvieto and check their hours of operation) and then take the train to Rome. We took the train there and if I remember correctly it takes about 1 hr. or a little less. Get on a train that doesn't make a lot of local stops. Then in Rome take a taxi to your hotel. Don't take just any taxi, but one that is white. The others are "fly by night" cab operations. Someone please correct me if I am wrong regarding the appropriate taxi for Susan to take.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 02:54 PM
topper

Regarding taxis, also make sure there is a taxi sign on top of the car, and when you get in, make sure there is a meter.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 05:27 PM
Leslie

Susan - here's another vote for picking the car up in Siena and dropping in Orvieto..two of my favorite towns. That way you'll avoid big city driving. Parking in Siena is a problem anyway. Yes, much as I like Assisi, I think it's too far for a day trip if you have only 2 nights in Tuscany. It sounds like you want to be a little more relaxed. <BR><BR>I've been driving LA Freeways for 30 years and can tell you the A1 Autostrade was a piece of cake by comparison. (LA Freeways sometimes have 5 lanes abreast, in each direction). I had some notion that the Autostrade would be like the German Autobahn! But it is not. It's mostly two lanes in each direction and you will not have any problem just staying in the right hand lane going 60 or 65 mph. Everyone uses the left lane for higher speeds so don't ride in that lane. It figures the Italians, who so love their cars, would have great roads. It was smooth as glass.<BR><BR>Now, as to the hilltowns such as Montepulciano. You do want to have a small car as the streets are very narrow. Sometimes a parked car can even jut out and you get a bit stuck and have to back out. So just approach them slowly, learn the signs for one-way (senso unico) and pedestrians only (you can see pictures in the Eyewitness guides to Italy)...<BR><BR>You can park at the first public lot you find and then walk up --- many cars drive up but the higher you go it seems the narrower the road becomes. <BR><BR>Other than that, you'll find it very worthwhile to rent a car and very easy

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 07:02 PM
Dayle

Dear Susan, you & all the other upcoming Italy visitors have shamed me into doing an extremely tardy trip report. (Like, 2 years!) So, I'll do a post & try to keep it short. Hard to do when I get going on my favorite topic - bella Italia!

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 10:16 PM
Susan

Dear Gabrielle, Elsa, Leslie, Dayle:<BR>Your posts are so very helpful. Thank you! Based on your recommendations, we will pick up a small car in Siena, drop it off in Orvieto, and take the train to Rome.<BR>If we leave early in the morning from Amorosa in Sinalunga and drive down to Orvieto, would we have time to explore a town other than Orvieto? For example, Todi or Spoleto?<BR>We would like to arrive in Rome, by train, in the evening.<BR>Again, thank you for your help. I could not plan my trip details without your kind help.<BR>Aloha,<BR>Susan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -