Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help! re getting from central Milan to Malpensa airport on public transportation

Search

Help! re getting from central Milan to Malpensa airport on public transportation

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 01:54 PM
Linnea

I hear a taxi to Malpensa airport from downtown Milan is expensive. Does anyone know if there is a train or subway? Is it manageable with luggage? How long does it take? We are staying at the Starhotel Ritz which I believe is centrally located - near Corso Buenos Aires, the shopping area, so I assume there must be a train nearby.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 01:58 PM
richard j vicek

Good evening, Linnea There are two <BR>ways of getting into Milano other than <BR>taking a taxi and both take about the <BR>same time, one hour. The first is <BR>a bus that goes from Malpensa to the <BR>Milano Centrale the second is the Malpensa express, rail from Malpensa <BR>to another railway station, just west <BR>of the Duomo, no sure of its name. <BR>From both you would probably be better <BR>off taking a taxi that public transportation.. Richard of LaGrange Park, Il...

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 02:38 PM
aaaaa

You're staying at a nice hotel; and you may want to contact them to inquire about transportation options (whether or not they can provide or set you up w/ a car hire or taxi). <BR> <BR>As to whether or not you want to pay for a taxi --- approx 180,000 lire that's an issue you may want to weigh against how many of you are traveling (solo? or more) and how much luggage you have. If it's 1 bag per person (& maybe a little over shoulder bag), then you can easily manage either the shuttle bus or the train (Malpensa Express). Both take more or less the same time; although it seems the train would be more reliable as you're not subject to the ebb & flow of street traffic. What may be more important in your choice of public transport is the proximity of station to your hotel. According to their site, the Starhotel says they are 1 kilometer from the train station --- I'm assuming they mean Milano Centrale station but you should verify to make sure that's what they're referring to. If that's the case, the shuttle bus stops directly in front of Milano Centrale. <BR> <BR>Malpensa Express (train) comes into Milan at the Cardona FN stop --- it's connects with the subway lines or you can then take taxi from there to your hotel. <BR> <BR>Again, I'd touch base with your hotel & ask for their input.

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 06:18 AM
rocketman

<BR> <BR>Hi Linnea(Dewey!), <BR> <BR>It sounds like a challenge, but I imagine if you call the hotel they might give you a better idea on trans. from the airport. I hear you can also rent Harley Davidson motorcycles in Milan--are you going riding, Dewey! <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>Steve

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 06:24 AM
rocketman

<BR> <BR>By the way, Linnea, <BR> <BR>Are you taking any saucepans to Milano? I understand that it can help with the cooking detail. <BR> <BR> <BR>Steve