Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Help re Connection in Paris on way to Barcelona (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-re-connection-in-paris-on-way-to-barcelona-1715385/)

Fleur_de_Lis Jun 6th, 2023 06:17 AM

Help re Connection in Paris on way to Barcelona

Hi All,

I'm looking for some reassurance - I'm flying to Barcelona from the US in a week, with a stopover in Paris. I'll have four hours before my flight from Paris to Barcelona departs (all on the same ticket). It's my understanding that I'll need to go through customs/immigration in Paris because it's my first point of entry into the Schengen zone, right? If that's the case, do you all think the four hour layover is enough time for me to make my flight to Barcelona? I know CDG (Paris airport) can be super crazy in June.

I've heard that there's a concierge service you can purchase for $150 that basically allows you to skip all the immigration lines, but I'd really love to avoid that if possible. But do you think it's needed?

Thanks in advance for the help!

janisj Jun 6th, 2023 07:32 AM

You will go through Immigration (passport control) at CDG. Assuming the flights are on the same booking, your bag will be checked through to Barcelona where you will go through Customs. Customs is really nothing unless you have something to declare.

CDG can be a zoo at any time but 4 hours is more than enough time if you land anywhere near on time or (even an hour late).

Fleur_de_Lis Jun 6th, 2023 08:11 AM

Perfect - that's what I was hoping would be the case. Thank you so much, JaniceJ (and for all your other helpful posts on here, as well!)

kerouac Jun 6th, 2023 08:57 AM

Four hours is plenty of time. In most cases, you will find that it is two hours too much, but that is always reassuring if a bit boring.

Fleur_de_Lis Jun 6th, 2023 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by kerouac (Post 17469394)
Four hours is plenty of time. In most cases, you will find that it is two hours too much, but that is always reassuring if a bit boring.

Haha - I'd rather be bored than running through the airport to catch my flight! Thank you :)

mlgb Jun 6th, 2023 10:33 AM

Of course, the big question is will the arriving flight be on time, or nearly so? And are the two gates near each other?

Good idea to research the next available flight, just in case.

kerouac Jun 6th, 2023 11:57 AM

The two gates could not be near each other because intercontinental flights generally arrive at 2E and domestic or Schengen flights in other terminals.

mlgb Jun 6th, 2023 01:31 PM

Define "near each other". 2F is not that far from 2E, but there can always be snafus at immigration, as they are manned by the French. Even coming from a Schengen Country, they can decide to interrogate individuals who might look like overstayers and hold up the rest of the line.

PS if you can sit near the front of the plane, that will also help. Here is an interesting read for you:

https://community.ricksteves.com/tra...cdg-in-an-hour

kerouac Jun 7th, 2023 07:07 AM

Snafu is a term invented by Americans, so I don't think it is appropriate to imagine that French staff would ever be responsible for such a situation. However, if you can give specific examples of why you think the French would create problems, please be our guest and explain.

Fleur_de_Lis Jun 7th, 2023 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by mlgb (Post 17469444)
Define "near each other". 2F is not that far from 2E, but there can always be snafus at immigration, as they are manned by the French. Even coming from a Schengen Country, they can decide to interrogate individuals who might look like overstayers and hold up the rest of the line.

PS if you can sit near the front of the plane, that will also help. Here is an interesting read for you:

https://community.ricksteves.com/tra...cdg-in-an-hour

This is a super helpful thread - thank you! Some of these folks are saying they did the connection in an hour - they sat at the front of the plane, but were slow walkers. Well, unfortunately I won't be sitting at the front of the plane (I'll be sitting at the front of economy! But that's still halfway back) but I am a FAST walker. So fingers crossed those two things balance each other out.

mlgb Jun 7th, 2023 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by kerouac (Post 17469634)
Snafu is a term invented by Americans, so I don't think it is appropriate to imagine that French staff would ever be responsible for such a situation. However, if you can give specific examples of why you think the French would create problems, please be our guest and explain.

I mentioned one (that happened to me) where they decided to interrogate a young traveler, who they eventually let through, resulting in a huge line behind her. If there is someone that needs added screening, a better practice might have been to pull them aside, but then, you know, French. (Schengen to Schengen BTW)

Fleur_de_Lis Jun 23rd, 2023 12:43 PM

Update - four hours ended up being more than enough time. I breezed through passport control (no line) and then my flight to Barcelona was delayed so (as Kerouac predicted) my biggest problem was boredom. Which was a problem I was happy to have! Thanks for all the advice, folks.