Help-Prague, Budapest, Vienna need best route

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2004, 02:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are ambitious travelers but I am having some trouble with the logistics of this trip. Our flight arrives in Prague on Thursday (Easter week). Our plan was Thurs/Fri in Prague. Drive to Melk, overnight on Saturday. Drive to Vienna (drop off car). Sun (Easter) Mon, Tue, Wed, Vienna with a day trip by train to Budapest on Wed. Depart Vienna on Thursday.

Is the most efficient way to Melk via car if we want to visit the concentration camp at Mauthausen (sp) and the abbey in Melk. Or should we train to Vienna, pick up a car and immediately drive to Melk. My fear is that touring the wine valley on Sat/Sun of Easter we may not find accomodations or restaurants open.

On the other hand if we stay in Vienna a few nights and then onto Melk we are backtracking when we depart on Thurs for home and/or if we can squeeze in a day trip to Budapest by train.

Suggestions?
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 02:40 AM

Where are you flying from? Where are you returning from?If coming from the U.S.your best bet is probably flying into Budapest and out of Prague.The trip from Budapest- Vienna by train is approx.3 hours.You can reverse this fly into Prague and out of Budapest.
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

We fly from the US into Prague and out of Vienna. Open jaw any other way did not make economic sense. Since we arrive in Prague for 2 nights I thought it would be best to rent a car to Melk and overnight and then onto Vienna.
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 05:41 AM

I think you are rushing things to see too much. You arrive in Prague on Thursday, so basically have one full day to enjoy a city that merits much more. Easter will find everything closed, and on Monday most or all museums will be closed, so you will have a busy Tuesday. You will spend 3 hours on the train each way to Budapest, so how many hours will you have to visit the city?
Forget Budapest, add a day to Prague, and breath a little.
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 08:15 AM

Check the car drop price before you commit.
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 08:18 AM
MaureenB

I agree re: spending more time in Prague. We were there for three nights in June, and we wished for one more night there. We also were in Melk on a day-trip from Vienna. Given time constraints, I'm not sure it's worth an overnight stay in Melk.
Instead, you could add more time to Prague, train to Vienna, day-trip to Melk/Krems via train and boat (get the combi-pass which covers transportatin and also entrance fee to the beautiful monastery), then day-trip to Budapest via train if you have time.

Old Oct 12th, 2004, 08:26 AM

Last year we made a similar trip, flying into Prague and out of Budapest, and using trains between cities. Prague indeed deserves more time. We stayed there for five days and would have gladly stayed longer. Vienna was our least favorite and most expensive city, but we did enjoy what we did there. A day trip to Budapest wouldn't satisfy me, but I guess it's better than nothing. Melk would be my choice of a day trip by boat, with more time in both Prague and Budapest. Of course, we had two weeks.
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Giovanna: A day trip to Melk via boat, would that be a good idea in late March?

MaureenB: From your post I am assuming you did not go to Mauthausen, the concentration camp, on your day trip to Melk. Has anyone else done this from Vienna via train. It is my understanding that the train does not go to the camp and it is rather inconvenient to get to unless you have a car.

From all the posts and advice I tend to agree that we should skip Budapest.
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 06:58 PM
MaureenB

You're right, we didn't visit Mauthausen, so I'm afraid I can't help with info. there.

Old Oct 12th, 2004, 10:25 PM

I honestly don't know if a boat trip to Melk in late March is a good idea or not. I just looked for a website I had regarding the boats on the Danube and trips from Vienna to Melk and I can't find it. They may even not run them in the colder months. If I can find that site I will repost.
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 04:34 AM

tourist boat trips Melk- Krems only run April- October.

The route by car Prague- Mauthausen- Melk- Wachau ( wine growing area) - Vienna is the quickest and most convenient.
There is no convenient way to reach Mauthausen from Vienna by train.
This way you do not back track.

The drive from Malthausen- Melk- Wachau is very interesting . Stay on the north or Maulthausen side of the river as the highway will follow the river closely for much of he trip.
Drop off your car immediately when you arrive in Vienna. Parking is expensive.
It is much easier to take public transportation here.
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Molker: Is this trip viable on Easter Sunday? From the books I have read I believe Mauthausen is open on Easter but I am not sure if any restaurants will be open in the Melk/Krems area or the Wachau area. Does anyone know how I can find out or should we just wing it as we usually do.

Our original plans were 2 nights in Prague but from all the posts I think we should spend one more night which means we depart on Easter Sunday.

Anyone traveled on a holiday?
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 12:21 PM

While I have not been there on Easter, I have on some other holidays.
since this is a tourist area , you will find some but not all places open.
betwen Melk and Krems most places are usually closed every Monday and I believe that this would apply to this Holiday Monday also.
It would be best to look for restaurants connected to a hotel as it is much more likely that they would be open.

I believe I provided some websites to you previously. I suggest that you check some of the places if this is a concern.
One alternative pack a picnic lunch in Prague the night before with bread, cold meat and drinks- many places to stop and eat on the way.

Worst thing that can happen - a McDonalds in Krems.
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Molker: thanks for the great advice, a picnic would be perfect along the way. McDonalds in Krems, what a sad thought. My 15 year old niece may be happy with that prospect however.
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 01:35 AM

My advice would be to do the following: Arrive Prague on Thursday. Stay overnight in Prague Thrusday & Friday night. Take an early train on Saturday to Budapest, arriving there mid-morning. Stay overnight in Budapest, taking an afternoon train to Vienna on Easter Sunday. You can pick up a car right at the station (Wien Suedbahnhof). Sixt car rental is a great car company, with economical rates. Find a nice place to stay outside of the city (Klosterneuburg, for example). You can rent a room or appartment for about 75 euros with breakfast. Drive along the Danube on Monday to Melk/ Mauthausen. You can then return the car to Suedbahnhof, then use public transportation. Trains/ buses leave for Klosterneuburg from Vienna every 15-30 minutes. You will still have some time to enjoy Vienna before departing on Thursday. If money is a concern, consider flying to/ from Vienna via Austrian Airlines out of JFK (direct flight). The airfare is still in the $600 range.