COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help, please, with Paris apartment close to nightlife

Old Nov 25th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Hi, we are currently looking at apartments for the last 2 weeks in december. where is nightlife mainly? i mean bustling bars, pubs, and restaurants, etc.. not nightclubs.

I know that Paris metro is not 24 hours. So we want to be able to walk back to our apt after a night out. we made this mistake in barcelona, so now we always want to stay within walking distance to nightlife.

I am somewhat narrowing it down to rue Mazarine and the Seine, rue Seguier, Sevres/Babylone or Montparnasse. please comment. I am also open to any other areas..

I have been told here by kind fodorites that Oberkampf is a great area, but methinks it is too far from other tourist sites. unless it is very convenient via metro??

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 25th, 2009, 10:12 AM

The metro is convenient to almost all of Paris proper (there are a few exceptions where it gets thinner) -- there are certainly metro stops in the Oberkampf area, including one by that name. The metro stops around 1-2 am, as I recall, and they do have some night buses but their routes are sparse and you may not want to count on that. So just staying in a good location where you can walk is a good idea.

I can't think of any bustling nightlife around Sevres/Babylone, so rule that out. Rue Mazarine would be fine for your quest and so would the Montparnasse area, but that depends where exactly you really mean. Without an address, some places that claim they area in "Montparnasse" may not be or they could be somewhat far away from where the nightlife is located. So you ought to be more specific as to where you mean. Rue Mazarine is clearer. Seguier is also fine, obviously, as it isn't far from the other point.

There aren't really tons of bustling bars or pubs around, although there are some. There tend to be more cafes which will serve drinks and I guess serve that purpose that you mean. The pubs tend to be in areas that Australian or British expats frequent -- there seem to be a lot in the 5th arr that I've noticed, and then some over on the Right Bank. There are a couple in St Germain, though, so you'll have that base covered with rue Mazarine and Seguier.
Old Nov 25th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Hi Chrstina, one of the apts is on 41 Bd Montparnasse 75006.

So you think Mazarine is my best bet for nearby nightlife?
Old Nov 25th, 2009, 10:46 AM

What do you mean by nightlife?

Bars to hang out late with friends/watch the scene?

Dance clubs?

Night clubs (.g., Folies Bergere) with shows?

When we were in Paris last month, on Saturday night the area from the Etienne Marcel metro stop toward Beauborg was packed with young people (20's?)but I don't have any idea what they were doing there.
Old Nov 25th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

hi as i wrote above, i mean bustling bars, pubs, and restaurants, etc.. not nightclubs. thanks for any suggestions.
Old Nov 25th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

wow, so no fun district in Paris? im confused i thought Paris had some fun hoppin' places...

what about the area near the eiffel tower/Invalides, is there nightlife there?
Old Nov 25th, 2009, 07:02 PM

Have you ever visited Paris or is this your first time? Sounds like you are looking to replicate an American phenomenon in Paris, and it's a different scene. There are plenty of places to congregate and indulge on one's favorite beverage, but it tends to be less boisterous than in the US. If you want something akin to Austin's 6th Street or San Diego's Gaslamp district try the Latin Quarter. The area along the canal in the 10th is sort of the trendy place these days, populated mostly by "bobos" and tourists. Otherwise you will find most places are smaller and less "hopping." There are some night clubs/discos but that doesn't sound like what you are looking for.
Old Nov 26th, 2009, 01:54 AM

Eiffel Tower/Invalides is possibly the most boring area in Paris, perfect for your grandparents. Well, maybe the 1st around Parc Monceau is worse.

If you can read French at all, Pariscope has listings of pretty much everything going on in Paris and there is TimeOutaris in English. There are also posters for concerts, raves, etc all over the place.

You may want to post this question on a Lonely Planet board. We tend to be a little older and less happenin' on this one.

We stayed in St Germain last month, and there were lots of young people on the streets at night. This area abuts the Latin Quarter but is a bit older, probably richer group. As I noted above, the Beaubourg area was packed with young people on a Saturday night.
Old Nov 26th, 2009, 02:29 AM

There are lots of neighborhoods where you can walk and find bars, cafes, theaters. The eleventh arrondissement around the Bastille is lively. Place Clichy too. The Latin Quarter has the area near the Seine with several jazz clubs, and the area around the rue Mouffetard and the Place de la Contrescarpe has a lot of life at night. The people hanging around late at night tend to be fairly young. Montparnasse has lots of restaurants, cafes, and movie theaters and people are around until late at night. The area around Odeon, bordering on the fifth and sixth arrondissements, is lively also

The area around the Eiffel Tower is more quiet at night, at least that is my impression.
Old Nov 27th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

thank you for all the info!!

a couple of more questions, is the Rue St. Mauer metro stop/area lively at night? what about place des voges?