Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help please! Recommended and reasonable Amsterdam hotel near shopping and restaurants?

Search

Help please! Recommended and reasonable Amsterdam hotel near shopping and restaurants?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2001, 11:53 AM
curious in memphis

Am trying to plan a 3-night trip to Amsterdam, and am looking for a reasonably priced ($125 per night range or less)comfortable, and attractive hotel near train station, shopping area, and restaurants. Would enjoy something in the "canal house" style, but am open to other suggestions. Can anyone give me any advice? Many thanks in advance!

Old Jan 19th, 2001, 04:17 PM
Annette

I stayed at Hotel Estherea in December and recommend it. Ask for winter rates or book through the Amsterdam Tourist Boards program, Winter the Amsterdam Way. I paid $82.00 and got a $20.00 museum pass through the tourist board site. It's a 4 star on Singel canal. If you pay more you can get a canal view. It is very central. The breakfast buffet is fabulous and the breakfast room delightful. I will say, however, that the room was small and nothing to write home about - I suspect the canal side view rooms are nicer. Perhaps the rooms at The Canal House are more charming (also more expensive). Also might want to check out Toren Hotel near The Canal House - both have websites. The Hotel Estherea's website is www.estherea.nl and the Amsterdam Tourist board email (from which you can request the Winter the Amsterdam Way promotion information is [email protected]).

Old Jan 19th, 2001, 05:12 PM
Danna

We stayed at the Hotel Washington, see Fodor's Rants & Raves. It's not near the train station, but why do you want to be there? It's near the museums, on the tram line and with shopping, the concertgebouw and restaurants nearby. It;s in a lovely and quiet sidestreet great rooms and staff. We loved it!

Old Jan 19th, 2001, 07:41 PM
arjay

You don't mention the date of your visit, but if it's coming up fast...you'd better book - fast! <BR> <BR>We will be in A'dam 3/2 for several days; I locked in our reservations about two weeks ago, and at that time was already running into places that were booked. I have bookmarked some helpful websites, which you can find thru any search engine, of course. But, would be happy to pass them on to you, so if I can be of any help, e-m me at [email protected] <BR> <BR>(The Fodors address in the post is used to avoid spammers.)

Old Jan 21st, 2001, 11:58 AM
Mikki

Hi! I stayed at the Hotel Estherea in June 2000 and agree with Annette. We paid more because we had a canal view and it was June. I think we paid around $175/night. <BR> <BR>