Help Please: Quiet Places in Sardinia

Sep 2nd, 2007, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Help Please: Quiet Places in Sardinia

We (man/wife/9 year old daughter) are considering a 2 or 3 week visit to Sardinia next Summer. We are constrained to going late july/early august.

We are getting mixed messages from the websites and brochures we look at.

Our question is this: is Sardinia (probably the southern half) quiet in the summer -- beautiful secluded beaches with only us on them - or is it heaving with tourists from europe and especially italy ?

We wnt some of the tourism infrastructure, for instance we want to go diving and boating and sometimes eat out, but our preference is for a modest quiet form of tourism.

Is this possible or are we asking for too much ??

Any specific reccommendations would be most appreciated.

thanks in advance

Andy

Sep 3rd, 2007, 01:56 AM

Hi Andy - July/August is peak holiday season in Sardinia and throughout Italy.

Any half-decent beach will be busy, I'm afraid ...

Steve
Sep 3rd, 2007, 02:57 AM

We were in northern Sardinia the first two weeks of last August. Most of the beaches were packed and the parking wasn't good. To be fair, the guidebook did say that the island would be busy in August but the Paxos one said that about Paxos, where we went the year before, and it wasn't busy at all. We had a little motor boat in Paxos instead of a car!
Sep 9th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice.

I've also found a similar and unequivocal statement in the Rough Guide to Sardinia which says:

Absolutely don't go in August when it will be hot expensive and crowded.

So that idea is off.

Can anyone share any experiences of Sardinia in May and June ? Is it warm enough for saiing, scuba diving etc. Is it crowded ?

Many thanks in advance ...

Andy
Sep 9th, 2007, 04:22 AM

Andy

We have been to Sardinia 4 times and loved the south but have never been in August - mainly due to the cost and the legendary crowds - having said that as I am sure you will appreciate the Med is one big creche in August - we have stayed near Nula which was more real than the north. Cagliari is a short drive away and has plenty of interest. I am not sure about your budget but the Chia Meridian and Forte Village both look good when we passed -we rented a villa from a company in Munich - it was one of the best we a rented in 20 years - however on a Sunday evening in September we were stuck in a 20 mile traffic queue that started at the Forte village a stretched into Cagliari!

From Nula we visited the Oristano bay area for the day last September. It was very peaceful with few crowds and even in August must been well and truely off the Northern European's radar. I'm not sure whether the Italians will swamp the area. There are many very good beaches and you should find some that aren't too crowded.

One thing I am sure about - now is the time to visit the island. It is absolutely beautiful and feels like Spain 40 yeas ago and Greece 30 yeas ago. Over the next 20 years it WILL be ruined by deveopment.
Sep 9th, 2007, 04:29 AM

Sorry I missed the question about May - we have been and as ever in the Med the weather is a lottery - anywhere between 16oC and 30oC.

If you sail (I do) I cannot think of a better desination then the north of the island that is closer to the UK than the BVI. I also have heard that the reefs between Sardinia and Corsica make are good diving spots.

Hotels : I have travelled for 38 of my 38 years and have never seen a hotelk like this

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._Sardinia.html

we stayed in a villa 200 meters away - the hotel is nothing short of a film set and the hotels 30 miles south will charge 4 or 5 times more per night.