Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Help please getting bahn.de train tickets in US mail (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-please-getting-bahn-de-train-tickets-in-us-mail-1092430/)

GinnyJo Apr 4th, 2016 12:52 PM

Help please getting bahn.de train tickets in US mail

I hope someone here can help me with possible next steps: Almost 3 weeks ago I called the bahn.de call center and ordered two first-class train tickets for travel from Gdansk to Berlin in mid May. Typically I make travel purchases on line but it was not possible for this itinerary. I was told to allow 2 weeks for the tickets to reach me by mail (my only option) in the US. Since they did not arrive I have been trying to contact the Call Center but have been unable to get someone who speaks English (first time I was on hold 28 minutes waiting for English then disconnected, 2nd time I was told to call back at 7am, and just now I got “please call again later” because the lines were busy.)

I have tried 2 emails to different addresses I found online – that was several days ago but no reply.

I am leaving this US address in a few days – any suggestions as to my next steps? Is there a way for me to get these tickets in person when I get to Poland?

Christina Apr 4th, 2016 01:12 PM

Usually you are out of luck when that happens because a paper ticket is like currency, it can be used by anyone. So your only choice is usually to buy again. Then later if you get the others, you can try to get a refund. At least that is what has happened in a similar situation in France, as I recall, to someone else. That is why etickets or tickets reserved for only one person by name are a good thing, actually, as there aren't these problems.

Why couldn't you book those online? I don't see any problem with it myself, I just checked, they are worth about 70 euro.

good luck, I don't see any solution if you bought regular, fullpriced tickets not assigned to one person

GinnyJo Apr 4th, 2016 04:03 PM

I do have a confirmation number, if I can get through to someone, and my credit card which was charged the same day. I tried many times to buy online, but when I'd get to the very last screen, it would not allow me to complete the purchase. I think it has something to do with the fact that it was an international ticket and perhaps starting in Poland. Who knows, all I know is that it seemed my only recourse was to purchase from the very nice, very easy-to-reach English speaking person the first time I called.

I will keep trying, and I have located someone in my bookclub who speaks German and is happy to help me if needed over the phone.

janisj Apr 4th, 2016 04:11 PM

Per your OP you purchased 'almost 3 weeks ago' and they say allow 2 weeks. My guess is it is still en route. 2 to 3 weeks is not that long for international post.

nytraveler Apr 4th, 2016 04:22 PM

Sorry - but anything of any value should not take that kong to get here. I just ordered a couple of things from the UK via ebay and they arrived in 5 days. I can understand postcards taking that long but not an envelope. I would try calling again at whatever local time the call center opens and see if they can help.

I not - contact your credit card and say the items were never received and you want a refund. Then you can buy new ones on the spot.

janisj Apr 4th, 2016 04:38 PM

>>but anything of any value should not take that kong to get here.<<

DHL delivers in 3 or 4 days . . . regular snail mail I've had things take as long as 20 days or more. And since it was a physical paper ticket -- you don't even know what day it was issued/sent.

GinnyJo Apr 4th, 2016 04:59 PM

Thanks everyone. So these tickets are essentially like cash? Ugh. I will obviously keep calling, trying again very early tomorrow morning (they are 6 hours ahead of me.) The Call Center is supposedly open 24/7 but apparently not always fully staffed.

GinnyJo Apr 5th, 2016 03:43 AM

As a followup, I finally got someone on the phone today. They told me if the ticket does not arrive, I should buy a new ticket when I get to Gdansk and then mail them a request for a refund of the NEW ticket price (thus locking in my original price). When I do speak with their agents, they are kind, including politely struggling to help me when their English is weak -- only problem obviously is getting to a live person...

GinnyJo Apr 8th, 2016 06:25 AM

And here's the last report:

The tickets arrived in the mail yesterday. While I had been told that the tickets were mailed on 3/17, the envelope is postmarked 3/29.

That's 13 days from phone order to postmark, and another 9 days to arrive in the US, if anyone wants to know for future reference.