Help please: 1 or 2 Bedroom Apt in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2015, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister and I will be in Paris this coming May for five nights. We hope to cap our budget somewhere near 330 Euro a night (1650 total Euro). We prefer a residential area with charm and a great bread store/charcuterie, but we're open to all neighborhood recommendations from locals or travelers with experience. Proximity to the Metro is our most important consideration.

My sister prefers homey luxury with a view but I don't think I can afford her preferences this go round, so I'm trying to find a place that might be a good compromise. Instead of a view, perhaps decent daylight. I would consider higher-priced apartments, if someone with personal experience could sell me on the pluses. If an experience surpasses the cost and it's available, I might have no choice but to increase my budget.

We prefer 2 separate bedrooms. A twin bed in one bedroom is fine. If necessary, we could handle a 1-bedroom, if the bedroom is large enough to separate a double bed into two twins. I don't think we want to deal with a pull-out couch scenario (unless I feel desperate and other factors are a major plus).

We don't require air conditioning and we don't need an elevator. My sister insists on a legal rental, so I'm avoiding certain listing places. I would consider a VRBO, HomeAway, etc, property if the rental is a known safe bet.

Thank you in advance for any good information you're willing to share.
Old Jan 8th, 2015, 09:25 AM

I've used vacationinparis.com several times, a vast variety of apartments, not sure where you're from but they are based in Jew Jersey and everything is handled in US Dollars, most times you get the actual apartment keys prior to your departure and sent to your home. For ease of booking and payment you can't go wrong, IMHO.

Several other posters really like paris perfect.com, I think that's the name, they have lovely apartments, some very upscale, it just depends on your requirements and what you're willing to spend. You could take a look.

I personally think 300€ per night is a good figure and can't imagine you couldn't find something to your liking. Also, May isn't far so I'd be looking in earnest and book soon, the nicer apartments can book early.

Happy searching and I hope you find what you're looking for.
Old Jan 8th, 2015, 10:24 AM

We have used Guest Apartment Services for the last 4 years. They are absolutely wonderful, professional, caring and very conscious of the legality of each apartment they represent. Most of their apartments are located on Ile Saint Louis, which to us, is very easy to hop over to either Rive Gauche or Rive Droit. Quick response to all emails and willing to answer any questions. Have a look at their website and apartment selection.

http://www.guestapartment.com/
Old Jan 8th, 2015, 10:53 AM

"Jew Jersey"? Okay, I'll bite!

We've used, and highly recommend, Paris Perfect, which owns most of the properties they represent (www.parisperfect.com).
Old Jan 8th, 2015, 11:36 AM

We use Paris Vacation Apartments. They only rent for a week but they have a few 2 bedrm apts where the weekly price is less than your maximum. They tend to book up early so you may also find a partial week available between rentals www.parisvacationrentals.com
Old Jan 8th, 2015, 01:44 PM

Robert2533-guess I need to proof my posts
Old Jan 8th, 2015, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.

I had already looked at Paris Perfect before I posted here, and it seems they cater to a wealthy customer only. My sister and I make a good living but our eyes are bigger than my wallet. Every apartment in their high-season pricing seemed to tip over the $400 a night mark. That's a lot of money for a good night's sleep and a decent place to eat breakfast. We will be attending numerous wedding events, so we won't be around the apartment much. I really don't want to be in a place that is too expensive, unless I have no choice and it's the best I can do.

Thanks for the other agency recs. I wasn't familiar with those names. This is a sudden trip, so I am scrambling and not having much fun.
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 07:59 AM

You may also try Cobblestone. They only have 1 bedrooms, but they appear to fit your general billing.
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 08:28 AM

Cobblestone + Rick Steves, what more could one ask for? It appears they have the corner on stuido and 1 bedroom apartments, most of which are in the Marais.
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 08:49 AM

Parisperfect is very expensive.

I've used Paris Best Lodge and their prices are a lot more reasonable. I stayed in one studio on there, La Coupole, which is listed as 2-4 people, which is laughable. There isn't any way in the world 4 people could be in there, there is one double bed in one room. they do have a very small daybed which could be for a child. But they have bigger places, of course. But I don't know about the 2 BR or 2 bed issue, that limits it.

FInding one that is legal isn't going to be easy, not sure how you do that. I wouldn't bet any of the ones in the agencies named are that legal, including Paris Perfect. Because you have to be renting it only a small part of the year and the owner living in it the rest, it can't be an investment apt only for vacation rentals, as I understand it. I think all of Paris Perfect ones are investments. You were right that VRBO and HOmestay are more likely to have ones like that, owner occupied most of the time.
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 10:11 AM

Check out Airbnb - we had 2 terrific experiences with renting apartments in both San Sebastian and Paris last year and are using that service again this year. Our Paris apartment on Ile St Louis was only one bedroom so probably not for you, but it is easy to enter your search criteria on the site. A big plus for using this service right now is that you pay in advance and the Euro to Dollar is the lowest it's been in many years.
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 10:48 AM

From what I know, Paris Perfect owns many of the apartments it represents, the rest are under contract. They are a licensed business operating in the city.

Are they expensive? It would depend on what you expect for your dollar. A little luxury, comfort and location always works for me.

The price for their Provence studio apartment in the 7th is only €180/night during high season.
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 11:30 AM

Paris Perfect owns "some" of their apartments and as mentioned others they are just a middleman. Some of their properties are actually managed and maintained by other companies (one in particular) and if you go to that site often the price is lower. Based on some recent comments here and elsewhere PP is not worth the money. Guest Apartment Services seems like a very good company to do business with as is Haven in Paris...smaller inventory but they manage all the apartments.
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 12:13 PM

We had a good experience with Paris Vacation Apartments this year; we rented a 1 bedroom on Rue St. Dominique that we thought was very comfortable.
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 09:34 PM

Look at apartmentsdulouvre.com. I stayed there in September 2014 and had a great experience and highly recommend them.
Old Jan 10th, 2015, 05:56 AM

I will echo the VIP recommendation from wunderbar2. Their search function should work to find you places within the price and cost range. Very easy process renting from them. You also can call them (we have done it) to discuss alternative properties that you are considering and get real and specific feedback to help make your decision.
Old Jan 10th, 2015, 06:52 AM

We stayed in this apartment several years ago and thought it was great:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/VacationR...de_France.html

I booked it through VRBO (120200). It has two bedrooms, a nice, spacious living area, two bathrooms and a small kitchen. One of the showers is very small, but the other one is nice sized. The apartment is on a busy street, but in general the neighborhood is quiet. There are several restaurants nearby (including one on the first floor of the building). The key for me was the metro stop just across the street - love the convenience.
It is walking distance to Rue Cler, so you can surely find a great charcuterie and bread store there.

Good luck and have a wonderful trip to Paris!

A
Old Jan 10th, 2015, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone. Experiencing availability issues with favorite choices. Very frustrating. Waiting on info from a few agencies. Someone in the wedding party may have a possible connection. We shall see. Still not having fun.
Old Apr 1st, 2015, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

Good news. My sister and I lucked out. A friend of the bride's cousin will be in Orlando the week of the wedding. They have offered their 3-bedroom penthouse apartment to us. It's right around the corner from the Emile Zola Metro stop. I wouldn't have picked this location, but they don't wish to charge us for the stay. I hear the apartment is very modern and it has a large terrace. I'm sure my sister and I will end up leaving a cash gift to show our appreciation. All we have to do is figure out how much to leave.

Thanks to everyone who offered help.
Old Apr 1st, 2015, 04:34 AM

Maybe a gift card instead for a local housewares or linen store?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -