Help - Planning Italy Honeymoon

Old Apr 21st, 2007, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Help - Planning Italy Honeymoon

I'm planning a honeymoon to Italy for my daughter (June 11-21, 2007) and can't make a decision on what to do. They definitely want to spend a few days in Venice - either at the beginning or end of the trip. Besides that, they mainly want to be on/near a good beach along the western coast in an area that's also very beautiful. I'd like to add a cooking class in Tuscany to their itinerary.

So, I've been researching the Amalfi coast and the Italian Riviera; unfortunately both are quite expensive. Anyone know if it's warm enough for beach time on the riviera? I know that the average is around 75-77 F, which seems very pleasant, but maybe too chilly for the beach?

Any suggestions on which area would make better sense? I've got to focus! My daughter loves gardens and quaint villages -she's not a fan of staying at American-style hotels, but prefers a nice B&B or smaller hotel.

They will not be renting a car, so access to trains and other transportation will be important. Any recommendations on half day cooking lessons in Tuscany?

Help! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We have to get flights set up soon.
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 03:56 PM

Hi Janok,

Given their preferences, I would start in Venice, proceed to Siena another, preferably smaller hilltown for a couple days (including cooking class), then go on to the Cinque Terre area to finish. Fly out of Pisa or Milan.

Use the search box above for "cooking classes". There are several trip reports of Fodorites who have done a Chianti/Tuscany day tour that included a cooking class. Some of the tours pick up in Florence.

Old Apr 21st, 2007, 04:56 PM

Looks like they only have 10 days, including arrival and departure (or less, if 6/11 is their departure day and they're going from North America, then they'll arrive on 6/12). To include Venice, Tuscany and a beach on Italy's western coast will mean more travel time than perhaps they want to do given their somewhat-limited time, especially if it will also be via train.

The Cinque Terre is very beautiful, and I'd pick that area if they need a beach. The Amalfi Coast is just too far from Venice and Tuscany. Keep in mind, however, that the beaches in the Cinque Terre are not white-sand beaches, but instead carpeted with small rocks (I can't precisely remember, maybe like large pieces of rounded gravel?).

If they really want to visit all three places, then I'd say fly into Venice. There is little in life to compare to taking a boat (via waterbus, the vaporetto, or a water taxi) over the water to that first view of Venice. (Also, based on comments here on Fodor's, the flights OUT of Venice leave very early in the morning.) Then train to Tuscany (via Florence). Then train to the Cinque Terre (via Florence again, I think; I've only driven from Tuscany to the Cinque Terre in a rental car). Then train to Milan for the flight home.
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 09:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to Dayle and Lexma90. Although I would love for them to see the Amalfi coast, it sounds like the Cinque Terre would be better. They do not want to spend very much traveling since they only have 8 or 9 days to enjoy.

Any recommendations on where to stay?
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 06:01 AM

We stayed in Monterosso at Hotel Villa Steno and loved it.
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:07 AM

Janok,

For lodging recs, you must supply a $ budget. Also, there are several great web sites that are a good place to start:

www.venere.com
www.initaly.com
www.italyby.com

You can put your parameters in and sort!

Happy planning
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:08 AM

PS- HURRY on those reservations. You are very late for a June 2007 honeymoon.
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:10 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks to everyone for the great information. I realize that they are very late - just got me involved and I'm panicked as you can imagine.

Does anyone know if the water temperature off the Cinque Terre coast is warm enough for swimming mid-June?

Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 09:25 PM

We honeymooned in Amalfi, and I can't imagine a more perfect place for a romantic honeymoon. Especially since you said that your daughter prefers "gardens and quaint villages." If they can wait to see Venice another time, I'd recommend Amalfi. 10 days would be perfect. They could fly into Naples and get around the coast via public transport. We didn't rent a car either. Also, there are plenty of places to stay with beaches and swimming--for example, Positano. I'm sure you could find a itinerary by searching for "Amalfi itinerary" here.
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:13 PM

Hi,

I would recommend dividing their time between Venice and Monterosso in Cinque Terre.

They could fly into Venice for half of their time and then take the train to Cinque Terre. Maybe fly home from Pisa.

I have been to Monterosso twice, once in September and once in May. The weather was warm enough to swim both times. The water is wonderful. We called it liquid velvet. The sea just sort of bobs you around, very relaxing.There are private beaches that cost between 10 to 15 euros per person to rent lounge chairs and umbrellas. The public beaches are very overcrowded.

For accomodations use the search function.

Buona Fortuna,

Susan
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:07 AM
ira

Hi J,

May I suggest that you drop the beach idea?

Why fly all the way to Italy to lie on a beach?

I suggest flying into VCE, 4 nights in Venice, train to Florence - 5 nights including a daytrip to Siena and a daytrip to either Lucca or Bologna.

Fly home from Florence FLR or Pisa PSA.

Alternatively, Fly into Naples and take a Limo to Praiano - 110E. www.lesirene.com is a lovely hotel with great views - 100E dbl w/bkfst. Ask for room 12.

6 nights on the AC.

Take the ferry from Positano to Salerno and the train to Rome - 3 nights.

Fly home.

See the AC/Naples part of my trip report.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34451044

Ira’s Italy Photos
Praiano http://tinyurl.com/ygbows
http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=11knfe8...e&x=0&y=1tkcm7

Positano
http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=11knfe8...m&x=1&y=x6te72

Naples
http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=11knfe8...&x=1&y=-28lwh4