Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   help planning 12 day tour of rome, florence, venice, tuscany (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-planning-12-day-tour-of-rome-florence-venice-tuscany-81139/)

ellen fowler Jul 29th, 2000 12:39 PM

help planning 12 day tour of rome, florence, venice, tuscany

any opinions on the hotel barberini in rome? any suggestions for travel from rome to florence? considering driving from florence to venice and venice to siena then back to rome. anyone with experience in rental cars pick-up and drop-off points?

gail Jul 29th, 2000 01:19 PM

Hi Ellen. I don't know about that particular hotel, but I stayed near the plazza barberini a few weeks ago and it is a nice location, near several bus lines. I assume the hotel is near or on that plazza. <BR> <BR>The Europcar location is only a few blocks away and if you are using the Europcar locataion at the airport , it is very convenient. <BR> <BR>I also rented a car from Europcar in Milan at the train station. All reservations were done a few months before by my travel agent. <BR> <BR>We rented cars 3 different locations and always returned them in a different location. I can't tell you how much time I wasted in not knowing the exact location and hours of operation at each site. Also, getting in and out of big cities was a hassle. I lacked excellent maps. I did e-mail europcar before I left to get Rome's hours, but they closed early. <BR> <BR>Next trip I will e-mail to get exact directions and hours of operation for each location before I leave. I will get a good map and write out my exits and streets to take before I leave. <BR> <BR>From Florence to Siena take SS222 rather than the autostrada. Also, the Chianti area is beautiful. Between Siena and Rome there are several towns off the autostrada that looked interesting. <BR> <BR>Have fun!

Bob Jul 29th, 2000 02:51 PM

Why take a car to Venice? You will only pay to park it. If you train to Florence, continue on train to Venice. Pick up car as you leave Venice and enjoy the drive back down to Siena and into Rome if necessary. <BR> <BR>Rental cars are expensive in Italy. Be sure to get the theft insurance as that is common. <BR> <BR>Aldrovani is a nice place in Rome. Al Gambero nice hotel in Venice.

alta Jul 29th, 2000 07:56 PM

<BR>Hi Ellen - <BR> <BR>I don't know about the Hotel Barberini, but we did just rent a car in Italy, with good success. It was defintely worth it to go off the beaten path. <BR> <BR>We rented from Europcar, arranged through AutoEurope, for 7 days, picking up in Rome and returning to Milan. The cost was $280. We requested a compact car with A/C, and got a Renault Megane (about the size of a Honda Civic Station Wagon). We would have prefered something smaller, but that was the smallest size with AC. We had no problems with the reservation, pickup, or return. <BR> <BR>I second Gail's suggestion to get good directions & maps, or else be prepared to get a nice, scenic tour of the city you are in. <BR> <BR>Good luck! <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Jill Jul 30th, 2000 12:48 AM

Hi Ellen, <BR> <BR>I have a restaurant recommendation for you in Florence: Acqua al Due, at via Vigna Vecchia 40, tel. 055 28 41 70. Unfortunately they will be closed the week of August 14, when we plan to be there. If you will be there another week, GO and order the sampler of 5 homemade pastas. One is better than the next; one of the most memorable meals for me in Italy. Buon appetito!