Trip report for Iceland

Search

Trip report for Iceland

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2015, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip report for Iceland

Here is a link to my blog on Iceland and Norway if you would like to read it. What an amazing trip we had. Loved both countries. We are still travelling , in Sweden now and then a few more places on this 3 month holiday.

http://debbeanddougstravels.travellerspoint.com
Old Oct 1st, 2015, 01:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
thanks so much for posting that, deb. [or is it doug?] lovely pics and a most interesting fun TR. I always read stuff about Iceland since our trip there a few years ago.

Hope that the rest of your trip is equally interesting, if a little less windy!
Old Oct 1st, 2015, 05:33 PM

Wow, loved it!!! We head out in a couple days for Iceland, Denmark and Norway, so this definitely caught my eye. Absolute loved your photos.
Old Oct 1st, 2015, 11:28 PM
Original Poster

Annhig I read your report many times, thank you. Mms I am sure you will have a wonderful time in both, they are quite different.
Old Oct 1st, 2015, 11:30 PM
Original Poster

And yes, it's Debbe. ��
Old Oct 2nd, 2015, 05:18 AM

hi Debbie,

I'm glad that my warts and all TR was a help. some of the info is probably getting a bit dated now; apart from anything I do hope that the general standard of food has improved. but if I can stop someone having the same experience we did in that awful hut towards the end of our trip, I'll be happy.
Old Oct 2nd, 2015, 08:09 AM

Thanks for posting this. Nice report and photos. I am trying to decide what time of year to do a trip to Iceland (I did a two day stopover in June once on my way from the US to Europe). Based on your (mixed) weather experience would you advise September as a good or bad time to do it?
Old Oct 2nd, 2015, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Hmmmm. Well I have nothing to compare it to. My friends have been in October and going back again in October , this week, so they obviously liked it this time of year. I was fine with it, it all worked out and really just added to,the experience having the bad weather. In both cases where the weather was really bad however, we had another day in the area. We did miss seeing the icebergs because of bad weather, which was disappointing, but I live in BC canada and so I guess used to re doing plans for weather.
If I were to do it again I would just bring better clothes. This was only 8'days of a almost three month trip so didn't want to have too much warm clothes in my medium size suitcase. "There is no bad weather, just inappropriate clothing "

Annhig other than last night out for dinner, I was underwhelmed by the food as well. We were quite happy to make our own meals most of,the time.
Old Oct 2nd, 2015, 11:27 AM

I loved the TR and the pictures. We'll be there next July, so this was helpful. We really need to have some wind-proof clothing
Old Oct 2nd, 2015, 11:54 AM

Thanks for sharing- love the pictures. I have a trip to Paris, Switzerland and Munich planned for next summer, but my daughter has been bugging me about Iceland for the next trip after that. Looking at your pictures, I can understand her fascination with the country. Just beautiful.

We had considered Alaska, but it seems Iceland might be better? If we went it would be summer. Is the weather better then?

Thanks again for the trip report!
Old Oct 2nd, 2015, 12:59 PM

I can only way that when we first arrived in Iceland at the end of July a few years ago, they were in the middle of a heatwave with daytime temps of close to 30C. At night it was too warm [and too light] to sleep easily.

when the weather broke, it was more like summer in Cornwall - wet most of the time, with some dry days.

in September/october, you are not likely to have a heatwave, but you will probably have a mixture of dry and wet weather. if it rains and there is a strong wind, you could get very wet indeed so good wet weather gear would be a good investment.
Old Oct 2nd, 2015, 04:40 PM

Love your photos! And definately not too many of the Icelandic horses!
I was in Iceland for just a few days this past July and want to go back for a longer visit. Thank you for sharing.
Old Oct 2nd, 2015, 06:13 PM

Love your trip report and photos. We went to Iceland, Norway and Sweden this past summer. Loved all of them!

How do you find the places that you stay? I was looking at your past trip reports (Italy and Prague) and you find some interesting accommodations. Just wondering if you use a particular site?

Have fun in Sweden!
Old Oct 2nd, 2015, 11:26 PM
Original Poster

S BERG I usually use a combination of booking.com and tripadvisor. Sometimes Expedia. I look at location, price and the reviews. It is a fair amount of work but have rarely been disappointed. We are travelling quite a bit now and because we don't have really deep pockets we need to cut costs where we can. Unless I am staying at a beach resort I really don't care about a really fancy nice hotel. Clean and good location is more important. On the other hand I don'tt want to stay far out of town to save a couple of dollars either, the. You waste so much time commuting, I like to just step out the door and walk.