Reload this Page >

Help on Zurich-Lucerne-Como-Venice Trains

Mar 4th, 2004, 06:42 AM
r2r
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

Thanks to all the incredible postings before on my request for a good 7-day itinerary, I am doing a trip that is Zurich-Lucerne-Como-Venice in the last weekend of March. I will be traveling by train - noticed that the first class fares are about $173 per person (www.raileurope.com). Is this reasonable, or are there any passes that can help reduce costs. Any thoughts on IC and IR trains.

Appreciate your thoughts!
Mar 4th, 2004, 07:05 AM

I have not used Raileurope but I understand they often charge more than the regular tariff. I would wait until you get to Switzerland to buy the tickets, as March is not a popular time and you are going on routes that have many trains a day. In the meantime to compare prices, you can contact Swiss Rail.

Rail Service +41 900 300 300
This is a per-minute charge number in Switzerland, so I am not totally sure it will work for you or what it would cost, as you don't have a Swiss phone number. It is open 24 hrs every day. You should be able to get an English-speaking operator.

You can also send them an e-mail detailing your itinerary and asking them to price if for you. Go to Rail.ch and click on "Contact Us" at the bottom. Under Passenger Traffic, click on "Contact Form". An e-mail from will come up which you can fill in and send.
Mar 4th, 2004, 07:22 AM

Zurich to Luzern is 19.80sfr. one-way 2nd class (1st class is 32.80 IMHO 1st class is not necessary on this short and very comfortable journey, no need to prebook either)

For the other parts of the journey, go to the SBB website schedule: http://fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/query.exe/en

enter the journey, choose which connection suits you the best, then at the bottom click "booking"-this will automatically fill in a form that you send to request a fare quote. You choose "Timetable" on the form to request another quote. When you are finished there is this choice at the bottom of the page "Please contact me before issuing the tickets and tell me the price/reservations". SBB will email back usually within 2 days.

and enter each leg of the journey, choose which itinerary you like the best and
Mar 4th, 2004, 07:29 AM
JonJon

I use RailEurope all the time but in this case I would

1) WAIT and buy your tickets after you arrive as they will be cheaper
2) Forget about passes unless you are going to take multiple trips during the time of your visit

Mar 5th, 2004, 02:00 PM

I second the recommendation of going through the SBB Web site. My husband and I have often traveled the Zurich-Venice route, and we always reserve our tickets in advance, on-line, and pick them up at the train station in Switzerland.