Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

help on where to go for a potential holiday

Nov 21st, 2004, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

i have the time off to go someplace during xmas for about 6 days. but everywhere i look it's really going to be cold...paris, madrid, rome...i'm from socal so sub 50's is going to be cold to me. any suggestions? i normally travel in may so i'm used to comfy weather...maybe it's not as bad as i envision.
Nov 21st, 2004, 10:00 AM
ira

Hi UC,

Consider bringing a sweater.
Nov 21st, 2004, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

ira, sweater and jacket would come with me at minimum.

i actually was thinking about it. i think i realize what my real concern is: being used to longer days and warmer weather when i travel in the spring, i wonder if i'd have as much fun if i go in the winter...not the cold itself being an issue. so mayber someone can provide some feedback on that.
Nov 21st, 2004, 11:16 AM

Winter in Europe is colder and has shorter days than spring/summer. That's a no brainer.
No one can tell you for sure if you'll "have as much fun" in winter. You're not being too clear about what your expectations are, and what you like to do and see. If you like to do museums, and other indoor things, and enjoy not having as many crowds around, then winter is a great time to travel. But if the weather is your main concern about your trip, then you probably won't have as much fun.
Nov 21st, 2004, 11:17 AM

Awinter trip will be different - unless you do skiing there will be a lot less outdoors and a lot more indoors - due not only to the temps -
but also to the much shorter days (remember how far north most of europe is). If you really want warm I think you will need to go to Cyprus - or perhaps Malta?

(For Paris and Madrid I think you will need gloves, hat and scarf as well as a warm jacket.)