Planning my March Honeymoon in Greek Isles

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read some of your blogs and realized this is the place!!

Help!!

We are flying into Athens March 26 and flying back on April 2nd. It is only an 8 day trip, but that is all we could allocate, and it has been my long-time dream (especially after watching Shirley Valentine, and my friend Maggie's trip a couple of years ago). My plan is to stay the bulk of the stay in Santorini (we were planning to go straight there first) and to stay 1 day in Athens, enough to see the Parthenon and Plaka at night. My friend insists that 6 nights in Santorini is way too much, and that i should visit Mykonos (fine by me). We really don't care if there is not a lot of nightlife (clubs), we are more interested in the sights and dinning and relaxing. Tentative itinerary (dates = nights spent): Santorini from March 26 - March 29, Mykonos from March 30 - March 31, Athens April 1st; leaving on April 2nd. My biggest concern is booking now for rooms, when Hellenic Seaways ferry itineraries will not be out until sometime in February. We wanted to take a high speed ferry from Santorini Mykonos, and then from Mykonos to Athens (or Pireus). If i have to fly, then it's an additional round trip, and Olympic is charging over 300 USD, and almost half of that is taxes!

Also, as far as stay, we were looking at Dana Villas in Fira, but not sure. Would not like to spend more than 120-150 euros per night, but we will spend time indoors, hopefully in a nice size veranda admiring the views of volcano, caldera and sunsets.
I appreciate all your imput,

Isela
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 10:54 AM

We are going to Greece in May and FYI we are flying Aegean airlines from Athens to Santorini for 40 Euros. Also we are staying in Oia in the Delphini Villas for 140 Euros per night but Oia is much quieter than Fira and may not be to your liking.
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 11:04 AM

You have good reason to be concerned. Planning travel between islands so early in the season is risky. Last season the Flying Cat #4 did not begin operation for the year until March 30. Making your plans based on that information is probably OK, but you definitely won't know for sure until the schedule comes out for next season. I do suggest you try contacting Hellenic Seaways directly to ask if they at least know when operations will begin for 2008.

http://www.hellenicseaways.gr/index.asp?a_id=293

http://www.ferries.gr/hfd/

That early in the year your only other option will probably be flying, as you've mentioned, but you haven't mentioned Aegean Airlines, which does offer deeply discounted promotional airfare between Athens and some of the islands including Santorini and Mykonos, for as little as 10 euro plus taxes for a total of around 40 euro for each "hop." This is something you definitely can look into now, but if you don't see these flights yet on their website just keep looking; they'll show up eventually.

http://www.aegean-air.gr/aegeanen/home/

FYI-there is a possible 3rd option depending on ferry schedules for March, which of course aren't available yet. There's a 7 AM morning ferry operated by Blue Star Ferries from Santorini>Piraeus that stops at Paros and Naxos, and you should be able to catch a different ferry that same day between Naxos or Paros and Mykonos. If you keep checking with www.gtp.gr and www.openseas.gr the timetables for these ferries will eventually be posted. Also be advised that there is a ferry from Mykonos back to the mainland you might be able to use for the return trip to Athens/Piraeus as well as one to another port, Rafina, with a connecting bus back into Athens from Rafina.

Many hotels on Santorini won't yet be open in March, so if you find one you like in your price range that shows availability in March, I suggest you book it. Dana Villas is a good choice. There are more on this website:

http://www.santorini.gr-santorini.co...ls/allyear.htm

Also check the Blue Dolphins Apartments:

http://www.greekhotel.com/cyclades/s...phins/home.htm
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 01:12 PM

Santorini and Mykonos are on two different ferry routes. In summer they are connected by highspeed catamarans operated primarily for tourists. During off-season, these cross-route services are discontinued, and ferries operate only on established routes between islands and the mainland.

As brotherleelove mentioned, FlyingCat 4 began operations on 30 Mar this year, and it remains to be seen when it will begin in 2008. That is the only direct ferry connection between Santorini and Mykonos.

You can get from Santorini to Naxos or Paros on the Blue Star - their 2008 timetable has already been published on http://tinyurl.com/y4gsfk. I can't find any ferries connecting Naxos or Paros with Mykonos during winter, however. Perhaps there will be something scheduled by the end of March, but then perhaps not.

Frankly, IMO, you would be better off allocating more of your time for Athens and less for the islands that time of year. Maybe a few days on either Santorini or Mykonos, but not both. At the end of March temperatures will be in the 50s and 60s. Athens will be lively, but the islands very quiet.
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 01:31 PM

BTW, I enjoyed Shirley Valentine too, but the Mykonos of today bears little resemblance to that in the film.
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 02:14 PM

Yes it has changed but Agios Ioannis where much of the movie was filmed is still a special place.

Also, Shirleys hotel, the Manoulous Beach offers very good rates with very very nice views, just like the movie. Its address is:-

http://www.manoulas-hotel.gr/

You can aslo eat at the same taverna!

thanos
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

thank you so much for all your suggestions!!! I did check Aegean, and indeed they have the 10 euro special fare, each island "leg" comes up to about 38.5 euros p.person...not bad at all!! And saves time!

We also decided to add one more night to our trip, for a total of 2 nights in Athens. I am debating between Hera Hotel and Phillipos..... any suggestions? I want to be close to Plaka, but I don't want it noisy. don't want to pay more than 150 euros, but don't want a run down place either. Please opine!!

Best Regards,