As part of a planned 6-week trip to Europe in June/July 2013, my wife and I plan to spend 9 or 10 nights in Austria.
So far the plan is to stay 5 nights in Vienna (after having come from Prague) and 3 nights in Saltzburg before heading to Munich for the final leg of our trip.
We have seen many, many posters mention the lovely Salzkammergut lakes district around an hour from Saltzburg. The towns most mentioned are: Hallstatt, Wolfgangsee and St Gilgen.
My question is:
Is there some way we could visit all those places - with overnight stays if need be - on the way to Saltzburg? Or would it be easy/better to travel directly to Saltzburg and take one or two day trips to that area. We hadn't planned on hiring a car because we found last time we spent time in Europe we didn't need one.
In this case is it not possible without a car or is there some other way we could get to see Salzkammergut without one?
Thanks in advance, Steve.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 inflammatory features and may
- 2 Best Greek Island
- 3 5 days in Andalusia
- 4 Highway Death Rates in Europe Now Fewer than in U.S...
- 5 Malaga Christmas lights
- 6 May Germany, Switzerland, and Iceland
- 7 Champs E.....no market ‘this year? How will it look?
- 8 crete or santorini in Oct.
- 9 Noxor Platinum Edition
- 10 Sifnos and...Paros? Last minute help
- 11 "chunnel" to change it's offical name.
- 12 Greek Islands, female solo traveller.
- 13 Driving
- 14 Need help with Mykonos vs. Naxos/Paros
- 15 Ferry vs. plane Athens to Santorini
- 16 Manchester Christmas Markets 2017
- 17 Change of resident
- 18 How best to see the Douro Valley?
- 19 Sixt Car Rental? Good/Bad? Any reviews/experiences?
- 20 The World's Greatest Churches
- 21 Italy with kids - off the beaten bath
- 22 Paris, Normandy & Amsterdam with College Graduate
- 23 Problem with Trip Advisor
- 24 Bilbao, Basque Country, declared Best European City 2018
- 25 London flat feedback wanted - yes, I'm going slightly crazy!