Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   help on mid-priced paris lodging (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-on-mid-priced-paris-lodging-466783/)

jr98 Aug 13th, 2004 05:32 AM

help on mid-priced paris lodging

going to paris for 4 nights in early april of next year. looking for mid-priced lodging for myself + wife, and in-laws + sister-in law (15). the in-laws have never been out of the u.s., while we have travelled extensively.

have narrowed it down to a couple of possibilities:
hotel verneuil, latin quarter (6/7)
hotel des grands hommes, latin quarter
hotel des jardins du luxembourg, latin quarter
hotel le clos medicis, latin quarter
hotel etoile pereire, near parc monceau

any thoughts? any thoughts on latin quarter vs. staying closer to champs de elysees?

thanks for any/all feedback

111op Aug 13th, 2004 05:39 AM

Hi, I'm sure that more experienced posters will be able to help you, but in the meantime, have you at least checked for comments on tripadvisor.com?

ira Aug 13th, 2004 05:39 AM

Hi jr,

I'd like to suggest the Hotel Bonaparte, 61 rue Bonaparte in the 6th.

Tel 33 1 43 26 97 37
FAX 33 1 46 33 57 67

This is where we always stay.

I think the location would be better than the 5th or the Champs Elysee for your needs.

They do have triples.

You can search the name on this forum for various reviews.

ira Aug 13th, 2004 05:40 AM

PS

dbls for 120E w/bkfst.

Travelnut Aug 13th, 2004 05:52 AM

I haven't stayed at these hotels, but if it helps to narrow down your list, only one of them is in Latin Quarter...

Hotel Verneuil is in the 7th, between d'Orsay and St Germain
Hotel Jardin de Luxembourg is in St Germain
Hotel Clos Medici is in St Germain
Hotel Etoile Pereire is nowhere near Parc Monceau, that is to say, it's much closer to the Periphique than the Parc.

SuzieC Aug 13th, 2004 06:40 AM

A good friend, an x-TWA flight attendant, always stays at the Etoile Pereire. I believe the last time, she stayed, her husband, her sister and another woman (what a brave fellow...!)
They had a two bedroom suite and it had a small kitchenette...As I recall, it did not cost them all THAT much for all that space... check that out?!

111op Aug 13th, 2004 06:43 AM

But if it's near the Peripherique as Travelnut claims, then it may be better to stay closer to town. For me location is always paramount, but, of course, your priorities can be different.

gracejoan Aug 13th, 2004 06:46 AM

Contact [email protected]
Tell him that Joan Grace gave you the address. Tell him your needs, and ask him what he can offer you.

They have many dual rooms and combinations. You couldn't have a better location.

Enjoy................

Underhill Aug 13th, 2004 06:46 AM

It would help to know just what you mean by "mid-priced." The term often means different things to different people.

Judy Aug 13th, 2004 07:04 AM

We've only stayed at one hotel on your list, the Verneuil. It is not in the Latin quarter, but on a quiet street in St Germain. It is on the left bank in an area we much prefer over the Champs de Elysee area.
We enjoyed our stay at Hotel Verneuil. The rooms are small but nicely decorated with decent sized bathrooms. Our only complaint with the hotel was promising air conditioning and then giving us one room without it. That shouldn't be an issue in April.

Travelnut Aug 13th, 2004 07:51 AM

I wouldn't necessarily strike out Etoile Pereire, just merely locating it for you. It appears to be about 350meters walking dist from 2 metros,
Pereire and Porte de Champerret. It's just that it is more like 3/4 mile from Parc Monceau...
I don't stay in central hotels much, and don't mind riding metro or bus to get close to where I want to go. It really depends on the hotel value and the hotel's neighborhood. It looks like blvd Pereire would be a very busy (and therefore noisy?) street.

The reason I choose non-central hotels is to save a few bucks, though; if all of these are close in room rates, then I'd definitely choose one of the others.

Wildfire Aug 13th, 2004 07:57 AM

I once stayed at Hotel Familia on Rue des Ecoles (5th), the Minerve next door is nicer..great location near the pantheon and Notre Dame

Christina Aug 13th, 2004 09:29 AM

I think that's a good list of hotels, although I haven't stayed at any. I myself am partial to the Pantheon area and wouldn't think the Etoile Perieire would be the best choice for a first-timer.

The Hotel Jardin du Luxembourg is definitely in the Latin Qtr. It is in the 5th arrondisement just a block or so from the Luxembourg RER -- inbetween it and the Pantheon.

I like the location of it, the Grands Hommes and the Clos Medicis and the more openness of that area (and proximity to the park). Unlike many other folks, I'm not crazy about those small narrow streets near the Seine, like where the Verneuil is. It would be convenient, though.

Christina Aug 13th, 2004 09:33 AM

FYI here is the Jardins du Luxembourg's web site, in case you don't have it, which is not easy to find in a Google search.

http://www.travel-in-paris.com/jardi...rg/english.htm

Travelnut Aug 13th, 2004 11:09 AM

I confess I do get forgetful about the difference b/t "Latin Quarter" versus te 5th and 6th arrondissements..! I tend to think "St Germain" if the zip is 75006, but the border is not delineated that way...

jr98 Aug 13th, 2004 11:45 AM

i am leaning towards the latin quarter. just seems more central, a little more atmosphere, and easy access to CDG on the way out sunday morning. anyone else stayed at the latin quarter hotels i mentioned?

jr98 Aug 14th, 2004 05:19 AM

was reading an old rick steve's guide. . .he doesn't seem keen on the latin quarter as an area to stay. anyone else share this view?

JeanneB Aug 14th, 2004 05:44 AM

jr98

I'll offer a wonderful little hotel which I think fits your criteria quite well. Hotel de Notre Dame is in the Latin Qtr, but very close to the 6th. The hotel is only about 100 yards from the Seine---right at Notre Dame cathedral and Ile St. Louis---on an old, winding little street. We loved the location. All of central Paris was literally right outside the front door. The St. Michel RER is only a couple of blocks away. We much preferred the 5th and 6th to the Champs Elysee--the "street ambience" was more lively and friendly.

The hotel's rooms are small (like most), but our bath was large and modern. Clean and well appointed rooms---we skipped breakfast and went to the cafes on the Iles. Looks like it would be in your budget range at 157 euros double. We had many restaurants in all price ranges to choose from, within a couple of blocks.

Hotel de Notre Dame:
http://www.hotel-paris-notredame.com/index.html

Here is a picture taken from the front door of the hotel. (It's an apartment rental site, apparently right next door.) Click on the top left picture of the narrow little street and the view out toward the river. See those trees & lamp posts at the end of the street? That's the Seine, with one of the spires of Notre Dame just visible over the rooftops.
http://www.psrparis.com/loadapt.cgi?802&us

Karen Brown's review:
http://karenbrownusa.com/franceinns/...so?RecID=9816# (I find it odd she says it's "blocks from the Seine", but other than that she's spot-on in her description.)

Can also recommend Ira's hotel, the Bonaparte. It, too, has an excellent location in a perfect area of St. Germaine. We were very happy there. I happen to know that Room 2 (triple) has the tiniest bathroom you ever saw....well, except for maybe on a Winnebago. My friend was staying in Rm. 2 alone, so it was OK, but awfully tiny for 2 or 3 people.

I was higher up and my bath was huge. I even had a little window in the bath looking out over the rooftops. Ask for rooms on higher floors and on the street side. Hotel is surrounded by very chic shopping!

wanderer Aug 14th, 2004 06:02 PM

Have stayed at Clos de Medicis, and location is perfect.

We walked everywhere from the hotel, even to Montemarte, but metro stop is very near.

Staff is great, and hotel is reasonably priced. We would definitely stay there again when we go back.

I would not want to stay around champs de elysees. I liked the St. Germain area much better.

leuk Aug 14th, 2004 09:25 PM

try Hotel Des Arenes. It is in the latin Quarter. Request one of the rooms in the back overlooking the roman arena.(ie Quiet). The rooms are small,as expected in Paris, but is a great location,clean and the staff are friendly and helpful.