Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > help on final paris hotel choice--medicis or verneuil?

help on final paris hotel choice--medicis or verneuil?

Aug 16th, 2004, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

help on final paris hotel choice--medicis or verneuil?

all,

i have narrowed down my hotel choices in paris to 2: clos st. medicis or hotel verneuil. i need 2 rooms, 1 for my wife and i, and 1 for her parents and younger sister (14, so more like a triple). we will be staying 4 nights, and will need to leave early on the last day to head to CDG. we have been top paris several times, but her parents have never been out of the country.

it looks like clos st. medicis would cost 250 for a triple and call it 185 for a double room. verneuil i put at 190 for a deluxe double + 213 for a deluxe double and an extra bed.

any thoughts by those that have been at one or both?

thanks all

jhr
Aug 16th, 2004, 05:27 AM
awbaker

I don't know anything about clos st. medicis, but I stayed at Hotel Verneuil in Feb 2003, and a friend of mine just stayed there in June. We were both happy with the hotel, and thrilled with the location.

I stayed in the standard double, so the deluxe double will be bigger than what we had. Our room size was small, but it didn't bother me. We hardly spent any time in the room, anyway. The decor was tasteful, and the bathrooms were nicely appointed. The staff was friendly, helpful with directions, and reconfirmed all my restaurant reservations. The sitting room on the ground floor was a nice place to enjoy a cup of tea or glass of wine in the late afternoon. The owner sent us chocolates on our second night there, which was a nice touch. I made the reservation for my friend, and mentioned to the owner that he would be proposing to his girlfriend. She had a bottle of champagne waiting for them in their room upon their arrival. I thought this was a very nice gesture!

One negative: we were charged for a full breakfast on the morning we arrived, when we actually only ordered a tea and coffee while we waited for our room to become available. We probably could have had them fix this, but we didn't discover the charge until after we checked out.

Aug 16th, 2004, 05:32 AM

Both are lovely hotels but be careful that the rooms are large enough for a triple. The rooms at the Verneuil are quite small. Everything else being equal, the location of the Verneuil is ideal.
Aug 16th, 2004, 05:32 AM
yk

One of the posters here, francophile03, has stayed at Verneuil earlier this year. If you do a search for her name or search verneuil in the search box above, you'll be able to pull up some more info. Here's one I pulled up for you with some comments from francophile03 on Verneuil:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34505500
Aug 16th, 2004, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

anyone else? i am actually leaning towards clos st. medicis. . .
Aug 16th, 2004, 09:56 AM

We stayed at the Verneuil in early June. The only negative comment I have could be significant depending on when you will be in Paris.

We were traveling with our adult children and some friends and asked for 4 air-conditioned rooms, which they confirmed by fax. Our daughters' room was on the top floor and did not have AC. When we took the fax down to reception, they nicely told us that they didn't have any other room but would send up a fan.

If the weather hadn't cooperated it could have been a very uncomfortable stay!
Aug 17th, 2004, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

weather in first week in april shouldn't be a problem with no a/c.
i am leaning towards the clos medicis just on location close to the luxembourg gardens + RER train back to CDG on the last day. anyone else have thoughts?
Aug 18th, 2004, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

topping one last time. any other opinions?
Aug 18th, 2004, 06:47 AM

Hi, yk mentioned me above. I stayed at Hotel Verneuil in February and really loved my stay there. Standard double rooms are very small; this is what I reserved for myself. However, the bathroom is a nice size and even had a bidet!

I had a chance to see a deluxe double as I reserved one for my aunt next door to my room. The deluxe double has much more room than the standard double and has a canopy bed. I'm not sure if all dlx. doubles have canopy beds but this one did. I'm not saying the room is huge but it is a very comfortable size. Bathrooms are equipped with bathrobes. The one my aunt had did not have a bidet though.

Staff is friendly and helpful. One thing though, the elevator is up a flight of stone steps which are a bit uneven so be careful.

Location is excellent as it's actually on the border of St. Germain although its in the 7th district.

Search this Thread