How to get from Gare de Paris-Est to Hotel Longchamp elysees

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need advised as to how to get from Paris EST to Hotel Longchamp elysees?

Thanks in advanced!
Old Jul 4th, 2011, 09:14 PM

Have you asked your hotel?
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 12:26 AM

Take a taxi! There is an offical taxi rank right outside the station .It is not that expensive
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Hi Spaarne,
yes . I've emailed the hotel days ago but no response from them.

Hi avalon,
Any idea how's the charges like?
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 05:38 AM

First question: how much luggage?

Second question: have you used the Paris Metro before?

It's easy if you have less luggage and can go via the metro system, cheaper and faster.

1) From Gare de l'Est, take the M4 metro (direction: Porte d'Orleans) two stops to Strasbourg-St Denis stop. Get off.

2) Stay underground and change to the M9 metro line (direction: Pont de Sevres) and go about 12 stops to the Trocadero stop.

3) Get out of the metro and get to street level to the Trocadero "plaza". Find Ave Raymond Poincare. Go up this avenue one block, turn left onto Ave de Longchamp and you'll see your hotel.

The Paris metro system is an older system and so does not have escalators, you'll have to carry your luggage up and down the metro stairs and steps. If you are traveling with your kitchen sink, it will be best to take a taxi - slower and much more expensive. you have to factor in Paris traffic for the taxi ride.

If you haven't done so already, use Google maps for Paris. Click on the blue "M" in a circle and it'll show you the metro lines that run to that station. It'll be well worth your time to familiarize yourself with the Paris metro system - after you get to your hotel, you'll most likely need to travel on the metro to get to other locations. your hotel should be able to furnish you with a Paris map with a separate metro map.

Depending on how long and how many trips, you can get a "carnet" ("booklet") of ten metro tickets for 12.50 euros. Otherwise, single tickets are 1.70 euros. There are also other packages which give you savings on the metro system, such as the Paris Visite Pass.

Have a great trip! Beautiful city with beautiful monuments!
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 06:32 AM
ira

Hi Mab,

www.ratp.fr will give you directions for using public transportation throughout the region.

Old Jul 5th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Hi easytravel,

Appreciate your reponse.

Me & hubby have 2 huge 29" Luggage.

Nope, this is my first visit to Paris and kindof confused after seeing the Paris metro map. Think its kindof troublesome for me to drag my luggages using my metro, from way u described

By the way, is there any other alternative ways to travel there? Like direct bus or etc? pardon me coz I'm not sure of the transportation there.

Thanks ira for the link!
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 07:41 PM

29" luggage? Are you moving to France?

(Just kidding! )

The first thing you'll find most Fodorites will advise you to do is to cut down your luggage. Depending on how long your trip is and how many places you will visit, you usually don't need more than a 18-21" carryon suitcase and a backpack for each person. There are a few threads going on right now about packing light.

You want to enjoy your vacation, not be a packmule for your possessions.

As for the Paris metro system, yes, I understand how you feel. It can be confusing if you are just looking at the map, but fortunately, not only are the different lines numbered, but they are also color-coded. Once you've used the metro a few times you wouldn't want to use surface transportation unless it's really necessary. The metro is simple and fast.

Yes, there are buses in Paris, but, if you are going to take a bus you might as well take a taxi to the hotel. Taxis and buses run into the same traffic problems.

Unless there is a pressing reason for such huge luggage, I'd strongly suggest you start cutting down on the amount that you will be travelling with - if you have four skirts, cut it down to two. You really need at most three pairs of shoes: one pair dressy, one pair sandals (assuming you're traveling in the summertime) and one pair of sturdy walking shoes which you will wear onto the plane.

If you can cut down your luggage to a a manageable size and amount, then you can take the metro, otherwise, you'll have to go by taxi.
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Original Poster

haa ... np

coz will be travelling for approx 1 mth ard London n Europe & will only bring 1 luggage with me.

Btw, izt possible for metro commuters to bring a 29" luggage onboard? Just in case I plan to take metro.
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 10:21 PM

mab3ru,
Suggest cut your luggage down the way you cut your vocab down. If not you will be the one to suffer. Being a packmule is no joke. They do actually have laundromats in Paris.
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 10:27 PM

If you wish to take the bus, line 30 starts from Gare de l'Est and finishes at Trocadero (and from there follow the instructions presented above by easytraveler)
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 01:40 PM

http://www.worldtaximeter.com/paris

You can try this to see about how much it will cost.
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 03:29 PM

Bus line 32 also goes directly from Gare de l'Est to Trocadero. The journey planner on the RATP site lists a travel time of 40 minutes on that line and 45 minutes on line 30.
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 04:03 PM

I've been in some Paris taxis where you would have trouble getting two 29" suitcases to fit and definitely tricky onto the bus. I've traveled to Europe for a month at a time and never taken that large a bag. You really can get by with smaller and have enough clothing for a month and room for souvenirs. You will need a laundry stop or 2 during that length of time. One nice thing is that this forces you to take a little break from sight seeing. Grab a snack, a book or magazine, talk to locals and spend an hour, maybe a little longer in the local laundromat. If you are traveling to many destinations in a month's time you will be glad you are not dragging a big bag from train to taxi to hotel, etc. over and over. And some elevators in European hotels will not fit you, your husband and those 2 bags.
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 04:53 PM

I forgot to add my strong affirmation about packing light. You really can travel for a month with a carry-on bag and a day pack. To learn how to do it, read the articles under the "Packing" heading on this page: http://tinyurl.com/2qykmr.
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 05:04 PM

With 2 29 inch suitcases...take a taxi. Many taxis are Mercedes sedans or minivans. Of course your luggage will fit!

You do need to get a grasp of the metro though travels while you're there... I understand what you mean ... the Paris metro maps are great but there is no context.

Try using http://maps.google.com to orient yourself a bit... you'll see the metro stations marked with an "M" in a blue ringed white circle. If you single left click more info comes up and the line's actual route will appear on the map. Once you see how the lines run in Paris, using the metro only map isn't so odd. http://www.ratp.com has an interactive journey planner too.

Here's a link to a video with metro hints:
http://www.geobeats.com/videoclips/f...-to-ride-metro

Have a great time!
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 06:51 PM

mab:

I hope you haven't gone away mad about the "luggage lectures". Please realize people are trying to help make your trip more pleasant.

Let me tell you about my friend who went with me to France a few years ago...both 1st timers. I had read these threads and managed to keep myself to a 24" for 3 weeks. Even that was too heavy and clumsy for train travel so I now take a 22".

But my friend took a 29". She's about 5'1". I don't know that I've ever seen anyone more miserable than she was whenever we had to catch a train. There's often a very short time to board. There's a steep step to get up to the train and the door is tiny. The French don't push and shove, but they do board quickly and deliberately. And there she would be, blocking the door, cursing under her breath, trying to lift/maneuver that awful suitcase up to train level. That experience cured me of overpacking forever!

If you are traveling by train, you really should try to get down to at least a 24". I actually enjoy traveling so much more now that I only take a few clothes and wash them out during the trip.
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 12:24 AM

I'd count on 20 Euro for the taxi but I doubt itwould be thatmuch. I think I pay about 9 Euro from Gare de Nord to the Louvre area
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 12:32 AM

I agree with the others , 29" are way too big. They do have laundry facilities in Paris, you can put a load in find a cfe for coffee or a drink then go back to put the stuff in the dryer. We will be in London and Paris for a month along with 6 nights onthe Queen MAry2 and I am taking 2 22" which we'll check and 2 smaller carry on bags. And I am taking fromal clothess for the ship!

I also would not want to pay the excess baggage fees
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 12:35 AM

My keyboard is sticking this morning!