Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Help Needed for 8/20: Train from Salzburg to Garmisch (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-needed-for-8-20-train-from-salzburg-to-garmisch-1466635/)

pittsburgh Aug 19th, 2017 02:33 PM

Help Needed for 8/20: Train from Salzburg to Garmisch

We just completed a couple wonderful days in Salzburg (although the wind storm Friday night and seeing the trees down on Saturday and the height of the river with all the debris was something else).

We are scheduled to take the train from Salzburg to Garmisch tomorrow via Innsbruck. Out of curiosity, I happened to login to the DB Bahn website and just notcied that the trains from Innsbruck to Garmisch is not going to Mittwenwald/Garmisch for the next few weeks on Sundays.

I haven't received any notification from the railway (do they notify you if you holding a ticket that they aren't supporting/) and can't find any news as to why this is happening or when they announced this (I just bought the tickets a little over a week ago).

So, now the question is what to do? One option is forget going through Innsbruck and instead go through Munich but that defeats the fun of that itinerary. A second option is take the train as far as possible (Scharnitz) and then find a way to Garmisch.

any thoughts on the best approach? If I ask for help at the train station, will I get any?

pittsburgh Aug 19th, 2017 03:10 PM

And to add one more layer of confusion -- the Austrian train website indicates no such issue. I assume the German site is more dependable than the Austrian one? (Especially since the 3 stops affected are all in Germany).

PalenQ Aug 19th, 2017 03:19 PM

So, now the question is what to do? One option is forget going through Innsbruck and instead go through Munich but that defeats the fun of that itinerary.>

There are inevitably bus replacements over close stretch of railway.

Here's what www.bahn.de/en shows as replacement for the cancelled direct trains:

Innsbruck Hbf dep 10:38 +0 21 REX 5412 RegionalExpress Direction: Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Number of bicycles conveyed limited , 2nd class only , It is mandatory to hold a valid ticket in local lines (REX, R, S-Bahn) , space for wheelchairs , Wheelchair space - For advance notification, call +43 (0) 5 1717 , vehicle-mounted accessaid , Low-floor coach , WC accessible for wheelchair
Mittenwald arr 11:35 +0 3

There is currently no sufficient information about the connecting train.
walk 3 min.
Bahnhof, Mittenwald dep 11:40 +0 Bus 9608 Bus Direction: Bichl, Wallgau
Gh. Post/Cafe Kranzbach, Krün arr 11:51 +0

There is currently no sufficient information about the connecting train.
Gh. Post/Cafe Kranzbach, Krün dep 12:04 +0 Bus 9608 Bus Direction: Bahnhof, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Bahnhof, Garmisch-Partenkirchen arr 12:25 +0

Shows a bus replacement Mittenwald to Garmisch

In my decades of European train travel I have rarely not found a bus replacement for main closed train lines. I think you're good to go!

And yes Salzburg-Innsbruck-Garmisch via the longer route via Zell-am-See if way prettier than via Munich - make sure your Salzburg-Innsbruck route is via Zell and not Kufstein -Germany on the Corridor Trains that go via Kufstein Germany and the quickest way between Salzburg and Innsbruck but not that scenic.

swandav2000 Aug 19th, 2017 08:08 PM

Hi pittsburgh,

Apparently there is a tree on the tracks between Mittenwald and Garmisch. I see a note that says,

Baum im Gleis zwischen Garmisch-Partenkirchen und Mittenwald. Züge aus München enden und beginnen in Garmisch-Partenkirchen. Züge aus Innsbruck enden und beginnen in Mittenwald. Ersatzverkehr mit Bus ist eingerichtet. (Last update 9:31 PM)

Translated it is:

Tree in the track between Garmisch-Partenkirchen and Mittenwald. Trains from Munich end and start in Garmisch-Partenkirchen. Trains from Innsbruck end and start in Mittenwald. Replacement by bus is established. (Last update 9:31 PM)

So you can still do your journey, as Pal notes, with the replacement bus -- take the train from Salzburg to Innsbruck and to Mittenwald. But in Mittenwald you'd hop onto a bus for the trip to Garmisch (maybe 5 or 10 minutes longer than the train ride, not counting the time to collect your bags, get off the train, walk to the bus, and board the bus).

I would still do it. The bus ride from Mittenwald to Garmisch is lovely, as it weaves in & out of several neighborhoods and small villages along the way.

Have fun as you plan!

s

PalenQ Aug 20th, 2017 06:24 AM

Bus could be sweeter than the train Mittenwald to Garmisch and Partenkirchen?

drhassan Aug 20th, 2017 10:42 AM

Looking to buy Grade "A" Undetectable Counterfeit Money contact us below at /

((Email / [email protected]))

(( whatsApp/ +32465108168))

pittsburgh Aug 20th, 2017 11:11 AM

Thanks for the help. It ended up being stress-free. As predicted above, there was a but waiting for us in Mittenald that drove us straight to the Garmisch train station. The bus ride wasn't all that interesting sight wise though except for a few sheep and cows.

swandav2000 Aug 20th, 2017 08:05 PM

Hi again,

I'm glad it worked out!

I guess they drove directly to Garmisch rather than taking the usual route of the RVO bus, which makes sense. But that is gorgeous scenery between Mittenwald & Garmisch!

Have fun!

s