Help needed: daytrip to Milan

Jul 6th, 2013, 10:50 PM
Original Poster

Help needed: daytrip to Milan

We will be spending a week in Menaggio on lake Como at the end of July. I am trying to decide whether to take a day trip to Milan, mostly to see the Last Supper. It will involve a ferry and a trainride and will eat up most of the day. If we do go, I believe I should make an advance booking for the Last Supper. Does this work well, or do you still spend hours in a queue? Please, anybody who did this recently, give advice!
If we do go, is there anything else in Milan we should absolutely not miss? We will then be coming from Rome and Venice, so we will probably be sated with churches. Anything else, especially something away from the usual tourist attractions could be very nice. Any suggestions please?
Jul 6th, 2013, 11:23 PM

If you are still able to reserve a ticket to see The Last Supper, then you are required to show up ahead of time (I believe it is 30 minutes) to claim the ticket, but other than that, there is no line. You will enter at the time your ticket says.

If tickets are sold out and you still want to see The Last Supper, it is sometimes still possible to do so by joining a guided tour of the city offered by the tourist office. A visit to The Last Supper is included.

You can also find online, using websites like Hello Milan and CiaoMilano, descriptions of Milan that will let you decide for yourself what, if anything, you want to see. Some people will tell you that La Scala is a "must" for Milan, others will tell you that you MUST at least window shop on via Montenapoleone, where Milan's famous designers have their shops. Had you not ruled it out, I would have suggested you see Milan's spectacular Gothic duomo, which is unique in Italy, and walk on the roof, another rare treat. But only you know what bores you.
Jul 7th, 2013, 08:31 AM

Hard to tell without knowing your tastes and avoiding churches...
You may check one of the several exibitions (the Modigliani one in Palazzo reale is excellent); if you would like to deepen your knowledge of Leonardo you could visit the Pinacoteca Ambrosiana and its Codice Atlantico; if you like ancient paintings the Pinacoteca di Brera is a Must (paintings from Raffaello, Pietro della Francesca, Foppa, and the incredible Mantegma's "Cristo Morto").
Glamourous Milan is also known for iits night life and "aperitivi" (cocktails).
If you would like some hints on what to do in Milan (and on my favourite places for aperitivi) you coud have a look at my travelblog www.delightfullyitaly.com
Enjoy!
Jul 7th, 2013, 08:38 AM

If you go to Milan, don't miss going up on the roof of the cathedral (Duomo), it's a trip! A bazillion statuettes, great views (on a clear day as far as the alps!) - you can walk up on spiral stairs or pay a few Euros for an elevator - access to both is from the outside.
And the famous shopping galleries with the high glass roofs are right across, and the opera house La Scala a short walk away.

Search this Thread