Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help needed - Christmas eve in La Rioja Region

Old Dec 5th, 2006, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are trying to find accommodation in La Rioja region for 2 nights 12/24-26. We contacted Castillo el Collado, Antigua Bodega del Don Cosme Palacio, Posada Mayor de Migueloa, Villa de Abalos (open only on 12/25).......they are all closed during this time.

Our preference is to stay at small-scale inn. Can anyone suggest any place to stay during this period? Another option I'm thinking about is Paradore in Olite. But I heard that parking situation is bad there due to road construction nearby.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 06:59 PM

The parking is not a problem at the Parador in Olite, but that's not longer in the Rioja.

You can try the Hotel Los Agustinos in Haro (http://www.hotellosagustinos.com/), or the Placio Samaniego (http://www.palaciosamaniego.com/en/index.htm). There is also the new Hotel Marqués de Riscal in Elciego. It's small, 43 rooms, but rather expensive.
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 02:34 AM

a friend stayed at los augustinos and it is supposedly very nice.
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your advice, Robert and lincasanova.

I really liked Placio Samaniego, but seems like this place is closed from 12/20 to 1/31. I’ll contact Hotel Los Agustinos.

I did think about Hotel Marqués de Riscal. I adore F. Gehry’s architecture and minimalist interior seems nice. But I think Euro 450 is rather expensive in this region. We will be staying at another Starwood property, Maria Cristina, in San Sebastian for 3 days before driving to La Rioja. And we were hoping to have different experience by staying in small inn.

Paradore Argomaniz is located near Victoria. Do you know anything about this place?
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 02:27 PM

i am not sure if los agustinos is SMALL.

i agree the 450 at the gehry design is a bit high but i will definitely spend time there when we go. the building must be amazing.

Old Dec 6th, 2006, 07:04 PM

The Hotel Los Agustinos is a small(er) Parador style hotel with an outstanding gastronomic restaurant.

The Hotel Marqués de Riscal is a different type of 5-star property, but well worth visiting. The 450 euro rate isn't currently available.
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again Robert and lincasanova. We are having the worst luck.

Hotel Los Agustinos is open but the hotel’s restaurant is closed on 12/24 & 25. The hotel thinks all of the restaurants in the neighborhood will be closed, too. Since we need to eat something, we need to stay at the hotel/inn which can serve food. I also tried Robert’s another recommendation of Hospederia Las Pedrolas (posted in 2/06). The place is also closed.

I guess picking one of the Paradore would be a safe choice then? Or, we may cash in Starwood points and stay at Hotel Marqués de Riscal – it seems that room is available and its restaurant is open.
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 07:09 PM

I would check one of the Paradors in the Rioja and the AC La Rioja in Logroño, which is an excellent hotel and should have some decent rates.

I've checked the dates for the Marqués de Riscal. If you can get one of the rooms at the rates shown, then I'd certainly take it.

Let us know what happens. Two weeks ago the rates were double what's shown and they had no availability.
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Robert,

Per Starwood agent, rooms at Marqués de Riscal are still available around Christmas time. EUR 450 for 1 night, EUR 400 per day for 2 night stay.

My husband and I decided to pass on Marqués de Riscal this time………perhaps give it a try in warmer weather. AC La Rioja seems very nice - chic and contemporary, but we were still fixated on staying at small-scale inn.

Since my husband’s wish is not to sleep in the car, we decided to stay 1 night at a Parador Argomaniz (they offer special Christmas eve dinner) and 1 night at a Villa de Abalos.

Thank you so much for your help! We don't have to sleep in the car