Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Help needed (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-needed-537944/)

Mytime Jun 19th, 2005 07:49 PM

Help needed

We are going to be in Greece from 8/4/05 - 8/27/05. We are in Thessalonike from 8/4/05 - 8/8/05; Syros 8/8/05 - 8/11/05; Andros 8/11/05 - 8/17/05 and Athens from 8/17/05 - 8/20/05. Plans fell through for the last leg of our trip 8/20 -8/25. Can someone please advise where to go for 5 days. An island is preferred. We have been to Santorini, Corfu, Crete, and Rhodes.
Thank you

rex Jun 19th, 2005 08:17 PM

I see that you are new here - - how did I know that? click on your own name (this is one of the numerous useful tips that Fodors fails to tell you when they send you that first e-mail confirming your registration) - - we'll assume that you have also not taken the time to read the "HELP" (little tiny red letters in the upper lefthand corner) - - another oversight that Fodors fails to recommend to you to do.

Anyhow, you owe it to yourself to take a look there: http://www.fodors.com/forums/faqs.cfm - - especially http://www.fodors.com/forums/faqs.cfm#Q6 - - which I have listed below, in excerpt form, for you (my own emphasis added):

=========================

Finally, create a title - make sure it is concise and clearly describes your message (<b>and destination</b>, if applicable) -- and write your message in the space provided

==========================

Thus, when you re-post - - and you really <b>should</b> do that - - be sure and mention <b>Greece</b> in your message header.

A message header like &quot;Help needed&quot; would be like going to the library and finding row after row with volumes which have &quot;Book&quot; printed on the spine.

Best wishes,

Rex

brotherleelove2004 Jun 19th, 2005 08:46 PM

Skiathosis alovely island not far from Thessaloniki, you might see if you can fit it in.

sheila Jun 19th, 2005 10:32 PM

How about Lesvos? Lovely island, just about right for 5 days.

hambo Jun 20th, 2005 12:54 PM

We visited Lesvos last year and thought it was great. Some lovely spots if you want a &quot;stay in one place holiday&quot; but also the island is large enough to offer plenty of variety if you like touring around.

Eleni Jun 23rd, 2005 12:54 PM

Lesvos or Chios or both.

rex Jun 23rd, 2005 01:58 PM

Worthwhile answers from some of you - - for a scenario all too frequent - - a newbie who was a bit clueless on how to post, and chances are, even more uninformed as to how to find this post ever again.

One more prospective buyer of Fodor's books who probably threw up his/her hands and concluded... &quot;well, that's rather worthless&quot;...

Pity.

Mytime Jun 30th, 2005 04:57 PM

Rex,

I am glad that all the other users to this site are more helpful than you. I am glad that you have fullfilled your mission in life by being the Fodor's guru.

janis Jun 30th, 2005 06:19 PM

Mytime -- Far be it from me to defend Rex. But your are waaaaaay out of line. He WAS trying to help you. In fact his advice was the most helpful you received. You got a grand total of 4 short replies (not counting Rex's) in 12 days.

If you had taken Rex's advice back on the 20th to re-post w/ a better title, I dare say you would have gotten 10 times that many answers.

People on here REALLY do want to help - but you have to work w/ us. &quot;Help needed&quot; is a totally useless title . . . . . .

Flyboy Jun 30th, 2005 06:59 PM

...Well, maybe not TOTALLY worthless, since it can always be productively used as an example of a bad post title. ;)

Scarlett Jun 30th, 2005 07:05 PM

I just hate it when a person who is new to posting here, answers someone offering advice, a snide or rude response.
Mytime,
someone told you with great tact how to do it better for your sake, not his or anyone elses.
You should learn to be more gracious- start with trying to say Thank you for taking the time to help me out.
I only opened this thread because I wanted to see what kind of help needed, it looks like a want ad for a job.

LoveItaly Jun 30th, 2005 07:14 PM

Scarlett, I opened this thread thinking the same thing, that someone needed an employee! And knowing how many people want to go to Europe and find work I thought &quot;oh, someone has a job to offer&quot;. Mytime, Rex gave you some very good advise IMO.

Patrick Jun 30th, 2005 07:21 PM

I need to try to remember the name Mytime as a person who doesn't want help and is insulted when someone tries to offer it. Probably not worth spending time trying to help since she isn't interested in being a better poster or in how to get better answers.

LoveItaly Jun 30th, 2005 08:18 PM

Well Patrick, when I first posted here on Fodor's I would have been thrilled to receive some advice quite frankly. After reading post for about two weeks I posted a question regarding an etiquette question and I was overwhelmed as I think I received about twenty answers within hours. All very good and sensible answers too may I add.

But it took me a few weeks to figure out &quot;how to use this board&quot;. So again, instructions from rex, you or one of the other original posters would have been great.

Take good care!