Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Help! Need to pick on island for 4 nights

Help! Need to pick on island for 4 nights

Oct 11th, 2018, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Help! Need to pick on island for 4 nights

Our family of 5 (3 kids - 8,11,13) is doing a whirlwind European tour for 2 weeks next summer. We will be hitting up London, Berlin, Athens and then ending with 4 days on an island in Greece. At the moment I am torn between Milos and Kefalonia.

With Milos, we get the more quintessential "Greek Island" look and feel and are in proximity to a day trip to Santorini just for kicks. We don't want to stay on Santorini in early July because of the crowds, but of course we would love to see it.

With Kefalonia we get more of the quiet and also adventurous feel. Also within proximity to Zakynthos for "shipwreck beach".

We are looking to book a villa or hotel with a pool and views to relax in when we aren't jetting around to the beaches and activities. Budget about $250-300 max per night.

We plan to rent a car either way.

We want to fish and swim and snorkel and wander through "old town" streets and markets and tavernas. I would love to see some churches or other historical sights. Of course some epic sunsets would be wonderful.

So which direction should we choose? Another island we should consider? (Paros and Naxos have been high on the list too).

Thank you!
Oct 11th, 2018, 02:06 PM

Before you make up your mind to go to Shipwreck Beach, this is what the travel brochures don't show you:
Oct 12th, 2018, 11:49 AM

Compared with the famous Pelosa beach in Sardinia, Shipwreck seems to be rather dsereted.
Oct 12th, 2018, 11:15 PM

Don't know about Pelosa Beach, Neckerved, but I was at Capo d'Orso in Sardinia at the beginning of September, and the beaches were pleasantly uncrowded. My point was, all the ads show aerial views of Shipwreck Beach, but don't show the crowds in high season (July & August). Oh, and there was a rockfall on Shipwreck Beach in September that injured three tourists:

Search this Thread