Haltwhistle/Hadrians Wall Trip Report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a few short weeks ago I was walking the ancient wall that spans 73 miles across England called Hadrians Wall.
Just a bit of history- It was built in AD 122. out of rock and turf. It was built by the Roman Empire to keep the ancient Scottish inhabitants out of their empire. Much of it still exists today.In addition to this they built forts and castles.

On a beautiful Sunny Sunday afternoon DH and I left London to go hiking and explore some of this ancient wall. We took the Carlisle Train and as we proceeded North I saw the most beautiful vibrant rainbow! I know we must be in for a terrific time! (Except I forgot my hiking boots)

We arrived about noon, the train station was closed as was the Tourist Office. I forgot to get directions of where our Hotel was located. WE decided to just start walking and perhaps ask someone. As we headed down the road we noticed Everything was closed, ughhh... Who are we goioing to ask about the Hotel!! Just when I was going to get slightly upset we happened to walk by an open shop called "Outdoor World"!
Well, not only did we get directions to the the hotel, I got my hiking shoes!! They were even on sale! The man in the sop was so helpful and courteous!

We checked in at the Ashcroft Guest House. It is an amazing Victorian Home that the current owners have lovingly restored. It is walking distance to the local pubs and shops. It is a great homebase for exploring Hadrians Wall. We stayed in Room 4. The Inn Keepers are Geoff and Christine James, - fabulous. They helped us plan our hike through the historic parishes of Haltwhistle. They provided maps, suggestions for dinner and just were warm and gracious people.

To be continued.......
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 05:51 PM

Very interested in your report as we will be staying at the Ashcroft Guest House in April for a couple of days and visiting Hadrian's Wall! The Ashcroft really looks lovely from their website.
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 05:59 PM

Hello annesherrod
You're a brave gal to buy hiking shoes during a trip!

Love this: "I forgot to get directions of where our Hotel was located. WE decided to just start walking..." Classic! First, that you, of course forgot the directions (men don't ask for directions, lol!) and second, that you just start walking. Sounds like a great start!

I'll be right here waiting for more.
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Continuing...

I put on my new hiking shoes and bundled and up and we proceeded to hike a 6 mile hike through heavily wooded valley alongside the Haltwhistle Burn. There were open and majestic views as well as we got higher up. We saw so many local people with their dogs! We did not get to the wall but saw it from afar. We walked for hours - We planned to go "Mile HIgh" pub that our Inn Keeper told us about. We were so excited, thirsty and hungry! We see it! Almost there! OMG - It is closed. The sun is setting. We had planned on calling a taxi to take us home knowing it was going to be dark by then. There were no homes nearby either!
We could not go back the way we came as it was trails in heavy woods. We would get lost for sure. I started to get a bit scared.

I remember looking at a map on the wall in the lobby and saw a road that was near Hadrians wall that goes back to town. We some how found this road and hiked another hour on pitch dark roads.
Ok, I am so hungry and thirtsty after hiking for hours. We made it to a pub called The Manor HOuse. The menu looked lovely. Oh, a beer and a nice home made Chicken pie. The LiverPool Soccer game was on and we acted as excited as the locals... Then I was told food was not served at night and every restaurant/pub in town was the same. The grocery store was also closed! I almost cried. The Pub owner came over to our table and said she would make us ham sandwich because she felt so badly for us - It was the BEST samdwich I ever had!!

The next morning we had a hearty and delicious breakfast at Ashcroft. It kept us going for the day! Christine, the Inn keeper called us a taxi who took us to the English Heritage site- Homesteads Roman Fort. It is the most complete example of a Roman Fort in Britain. It was a clear day and you could see for miles. The ruins were amazing! There was a museum on the site that reconstruced life here.
It seems like the country side has not changed in 100's of years.
We then, walked on part of the wall. It was surreal to know this was built by the Romans so long ago. We then hiked along the wall for a couple of hours. At times we were on sheep farms, steep paths along rocky cliffs, and enjoyed the sweeping views!
After hiking we went to another inn and called "our" taxi to bring us back to Ashcroft. We enjoyed a cup of tea and some sweets in the library of the Inn.
This was an amazing little getaway! It was so relaxing and peaceful.

I highly reccomend this Inn. It surpassed our expectations! I felt like I was visiting old friends as these Inn keepers are so warm and genuine. I enjoyed the comfortable rooms that had loving touches. My only regret is that I did not get to see the award winning gardens in bloom!

Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Betty - You will LOVE this area and this Inn. Enjoy!!

Swisshiker - It was serendipity that the only store open was a Hiking store!! Could not beleive it!!! I was going to ruin my Ugg boots for the hike though. Glad I did not have to!! It was great fun!
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 06:19 PM

After my email correspondence with the owners, I am very much looking forward to meeting them. I'm also very excited that the gardens should be blooming nicely in April!!
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 03:33 AM

annesherrod - Thank you for posting your trip report. Hiking on Hadrian's Wall is on my travel list of things to see & do, so I appreciate the information.

bettyk - I do hope you post a trip report after your travels in April.

Robyn
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 03:45 AM

Great report! You poor things - no food served after hours of hiking and how wonderful that you at least had a ham sandwich to keep you going.
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 05:48 AM

Glad you enjoyed Ashcroft. We were there 10 years ago. Walking Hadrian's wall is fun, altho just yesterday my wife recalled all the sheep droppings (my word, not hers!) were encountered on the trail.
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

bigtyke - Yes and they were big sheep droppings! LOL
I kept looking around for the large cows who must have left those there!!
I really hope to go back someday and visit that lovely area of England!!
Thanks for the nice replies!
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 12:29 PM

What an experience. Thanks for this report. We will be there in July and will watch out for the droppings. Bettyk please post after you return! Also, I'm wondering why everything was closed and why the pubs don't serve food at night...
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 02:04 PM

Robyn and rileypenny, yes, I will definitely post a trip report!

I'd also be interested to know why everything was closed and the pubs weren't serving food at night!
Old Mar 1st, 2009, 12:54 AM

Sunday night out of the tourist season.....
Old Mar 1st, 2009, 09:39 AM

OK, thanks Patrick. I'm assuming then, if we are there in April that we shouldn't have a problem even if it's a Sunday?
Old Mar 1st, 2009, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Yes- definitley out of season I was told!
Old Mar 1st, 2009, 04:51 PM

Thanks, anne, for your lovely report. We will be seeing part of the Wall on our England trip at the end of the month. We're still working out the details and your report will help.

Thanks for sharing!
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 01:22 AM

Sounds like a great trip and I waiting for the rest of the report.

Pedant's corner sorry - you were not staying at an Inn. An Inn is a pub with rooms. You were at a B&B/guesthouse. I wouldn't normally bother saying this but I wouldn't want someone to book it expecting an Inn from reading this.
Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

I just ran into someone today who is going here and I told them to go to Fodors - hope they read my little report.

I really hope to come back here some day!!!
Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 05:56 PM

I was so disappointed that we didn't get to make our April 09 trip to the UK as I was very much looking forward to staying at the Ashcroft. Still planning to do this trip one day soon! Thanks for topping, Anne.