Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Help! Need quick advice about Rome hotel dilemma (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-need-quick-advice-about-rome-hotel-dilemma-91532/)

Meredith Oct 26th, 2000 06:59 AM

Help! Need quick advice about Rome hotel dilemma

We will be in Rome for two nights in late November and have a dilemma about where we should stay. Two hotels are in the running: Hotel Piccolo in the historical center and Hotel Prati near the Vatican. <BR> <BR>We prefer Piccolo's location. But they will only guarentee our reservation if we send them a check in the mail. Once they receive it, they will mail us back a confirmation. I've heard some horror stories about the Italian mail system. We leave for this trip on Nov. 16, and I am worried that I won't receive confirmation before then. If I don't get the confirmation, I won't know if they got my money or if we have a guarenteed place to stay. <BR> <BR>Hotel Prati, on the other hand, is much easier to reserve. All I have to do is email them my credit card number, and it would all be resolved quite easily. Common sense tells me we should go with Prati, but we'd so much rather stay at the other place. So it comes down to location vs. convenience/guarentee. Anybody have advice about which we should choose? Has anybody stayed at either of these hotels? Thanks for your input!

Ed Oct 26th, 2000 07:04 AM

'Tis true the Italian mail system is slow. You might speed things up by sending your check via the US Post Office and their international express service. I think it only costs $6 or $10. <BR> <BR>I don't know either hotel, but I know you'll really be much happier in the center of the historical part of Rome, rather than over at the Vatican. See www.twenj.com/romechoice.htm <BR> <BR>I'd go for the Piccolo and get your check in the mail today! <BR> <BR>Ed

Bill Oct 26th, 2000 07:17 AM

You didn't indicate the star count for these hotels, so this advice may be out of line. A hotel we used in Rome and enjoyed very much was the Hotel Rex just across the street from the Rome Opera house. It is a 4 star and very plush with great rooms and a wonderful breakfast. They have a web site, search for Rome hotels and the for Rex within the results.

Meredith Oct 26th, 2000 07:27 AM

I think that is a little out of our league, Bill. :) But thank you for the suggestion. I believe both of the hotels we are considering are 2-star. They are both pretty affordable, and the difference in price is only L10,000, which is less than U.S.$5. <BR> <BR>Ed, thanks for telling me exactly what I wanted to hear! But I am still wondering how long it will take to get a confirmation back from the hotel. I just want to know for absolute sure that everything is set before I leave. <BR> <BR>Am I crazy to even worry about this? I mean, how hard is it to get a budget hotel room in Rome in late November?

susie Oct 26th, 2000 07:27 AM

I got a foreign Draft from my local bank to send as a hotel deposit in Rome. I sent it USPS Registered International Mail--return Receipt Requested. I sent it on Aug 18--I STILL have not gotten the receipt back and hotel claims they never got it. I had to put a stop payment on-cost $25. I finally convinced hotel to take a credit card deposit. My advise if you do send a check--send it Fed Ex or DHL where you know you are not relying on Italian postal system once it gets to Italy!!

Caitlin H Oct 28th, 2000 12:15 AM

I have to say Meredith that it seems rather odd that you need to post a cheque for a 2 star hotel in November. We stayed in Rome at the end of September and had minimal problems finding vacancies when we arrived. We stayed at the Coronet Hotel and Erdarelli Hotel both of which are 2 star. <BR> <BR>I strongly recommend the Erdarelli (do a search on the forum if you are interested to find the contact details) as it was central, close to the metro, and very clean with friendly staff. And as it has a lot of rooms vacancies shouldn't be a problem. <BR> <BR>Caitlin

Maira Oct 28th, 2000 07:20 AM

Meredith, ask them to also e-mail you the confirmation once they receive the check. That way, you at least will have a notice of receipt at a minimum.

Maira Oct 28th, 2000 07:27 AM

Meredith---- to add to my last post, if this deal is too much hassle, you don't HAVE to stay there. I have reservations at the Hotel Forte, near the Spanish Steps, $90/double with breakfast and taxes, they will pick me and sister at the airport for $40 total. They are out of the venere.it site that Ed & Julie so kindly have linked to at their website. No deposit required, courteous and expeditious e-mail communication.

sera Oct 28th, 2000 11:26 AM

I stayed at the prati a few years ago, and it wasn't bad. Pretty basic place, but the people were rather nice. I actually like that neighborhood as well. <BR> <BR>Last time I checked, Italy is not included in USPS' Global Priority Mail service. Must be because they can't guarantee delivery in Italy. As for hotel choices, have you tried the Cesari or Santa Chiara? I agree it's strange for a two-star to require a deposit. Have a lovely trip!

robb Oct 28th, 2000 08:12 PM

Does anyone know anything about the Hotel Forum near the ancient city? We are booked there for 6 nights starting on 11/3 and we wanted to check around to see if it is nice. We're not looking for Rome's best hotel; just something clean, nice and safe. Thanks.