Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > HELP! Need advice on Cinque Terre & Torino in Italy in late September...

HELP! Need advice on Cinque Terre & Torino in Italy in late September...

Apr 28th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

HELP! Need advice on Cinque Terre & Torino in Italy in late September...

Hi Italy-Travellers!

I need some advice. As a gift for their retirement, I am treating my parents to a trip to Italy in late September.

They are really into great food/wine and beautiful landscapes. (They're not so into museums and churches.)

I wanted to plan a trip based on the two regions: 1) TORINO; and 2) CINQUE TERRE.

They have already been to Venice/Florence/Rome and did not want to repeat the same areas again.

My main questions are:

1) Would hiking being difficult for them in Cinque Terre? I love to hike. They are healthy, in their early 60s. So I'm not sure how challenging the trails in this region would be.

2) What are some cool things in Cinque Terre not to miss? I'm sure they would enjoy sailing around the area as well, not to mention the seafood.

3) What are some highlights in Torino? They love vineyards, so are there any in that region you would recommend? Should we stay in Torino, or is there somewhere nicer OUTSIDE of Torino to use as a home base? And yes, we definitely want to enjoy the truffles, the Nebbiolos, the Barberas, etc.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR ADVICE!
Apr 28th, 2009, 04:45 PM

We stayed in Vernazza, and it was perfect. We took the boat to several of the other towns, and walked from one to another with two kids, one of them four years old. It was like a sidewalk, and very easy. But I can't remember which towns it connected. Have fun!
Apr 28th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Cindy! Did you like the hotel/villa where you stayed?
Apr 28th, 2009, 05:49 PM

We just returned from Cinque Terre and stayed in Vernazza and loved it! We stayed at La Mala. There are steep steps to ascend to it, though, so if that is a concern it is not the place to sleep. The town is well-situated on the water, scenic (of course) with great food, etc. The train connects the towns and one most south is the one with the sidewalk, short path to the next town. Are they hikers? If so, I can describe the other paths as well.
Apr 28th, 2009, 06:04 PM

I can second staying at La Mala. The walk to the B&B is not too difficult. I think that room 26 is the best, although the other rooms are very, very nice.

http://www.lamala.it/en/index.html

If they feel the hikes are too difficult they can always take the public boat or train from town to town.

I LOVED my stay at this B&B in Piedmont. The hosts are wonderful. It is not in Torino though. Also, they will need to rent a car-

http://www.baurbb.com/english/english.php
Apr 28th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

VIRGINIA & ZOE: Thank you so much! There will be 2 sets of parents coming with us. One couple in their early 60s. The other late 60s to early 70s. So yes, we can walk until they're tired... and then take a boat... LOVELY!!

ZOE: We may not end up staying in Torino itself. It sounds like the city is sooty and industrial... so maybe instead we'll visit some of the surrounding wine regions for Barolos. And I can't wait to try the white truffles from the region too. I will investigate the B&B you mentioned. Thanks again.
Apr 28th, 2009, 06:35 PM

White truffles are not in season in late September. The season starts in October, but it hits its peak in November.

Baur B&B is in Acqui Terme, which is not in Barolo country. For Barolo, you'd be better off in Alba or the villages near it.
Apr 28th, 2009, 06:35 PM

We stayed in Riomaggiore.(town 1). The walk between town 1-2 is essentially flat. From there it becomes more of a climb. The only "strenuous" part is town 4-5. It really depends on your level of fitness, and are you used to walking. It is easy to take the train. The boat is worth the trip. We hiked one way and took the boat back. We also found Levanto to be a great town. A bigger town,not one of the 5 villages,but the next stop after town 5. A better selection of restaurants,but you have to check the train schedule carefully. Not all trains stop at all the villages coming back.
Apr 28th, 2009, 06:37 PM

For hiking in Cinque Terre, there are several posting here mentioning which trails are the difficult one.

Why don't you search the Web for pictures?

maps.google.com has no shortage of pictures taken from the hiking trails.

This one looks challenging:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ReviewPho....html#18048503
Apr 28th, 2009, 07:28 PM

Do people use one hotel for the cinque terre region and just leave luggage there? what amount of time do you need to spend here to experience this area?
Apr 28th, 2009, 10:02 PM

If you enter "Cinqueterre" in the search box at the top of this page, you'll get a wealth of information about this beautiful, special area.
Apr 28th, 2009, 11:35 PM

This page gives information on all 5 towns in the Cinque Terre, so you can get an overview of the place.
http://www.arbaspaa.com/cinque_terre_EN.aspx
Apr 29th, 2009, 01:03 AM

Betty I just returned from the Langhe (Alba) and Torino and will write my report soon. For the moment, I will say that while the food and wine in Turin is amazing, given their love of wine and vineyards, I would recommend a stay in the Langhe rather than in the city of Turin.

The Langhe is a small region and can be covered from one base. We chose Alba, based on the good reviews of La Favorita and we were not disappointed. It is surrounded by vineyards and the owner, Roberta, grows grapes and makes her own wine. (and confiture)

http://www.villalafavorita.it/home_uk.html

This area, more than any other in Italy that I can recall right now, teems with lovely hotels and B&Bs. If you give me an idea of the price range I might be able to suggest a few alternatives, in case La FAvorita does not suit, or is booked.

I made some comments about choosing a base in this thread:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...n-piedmont.cfm

I will be happy to help you with this delightful dilemma, so please feel free to ask questions.

I also made a recent trip to Camogli and Santa Margherita Ligure. While the CT is a bit further south, you should also be aware that there is marvelous hiking and walking on the Portofino peninsula. Camogli is one of the most delightful towns I've visited in Italy and it would make an excellent alternative to the CT if, for any reason you do not find suitable accommodation there.

Here is my report from that trip, with a lot of food (much seafood) information:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-much-else.cfm

Finally, I will say that since they plan to be in the Langhe or Turin in high season, it is not too early to think about booking. When we were lunching at a well-known restaurant in Monforte last week, they were taking bookings for September!
Apr 29th, 2009, 04:38 AM

definitely agree with room 26 @ La Mala.
Apr 29th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

THANKS TO ALL OF YOUR FOR YOUR GREAT COMMENTS! Keep them coming...

EKSCRUNCHY: Yes, we are deciding against staying in Torino and instead will investigate different areas of Piedmont, including the Langhe, which you mention. Is that area as pretty as Umbria and Tuscany? HAS ANYONE BEEN TO THE TRUFFLE FESTIVAL IN ALBA (I think, it's in Alba)? We are thinking of planning our trip so that we will make the festival the first week of October. But if it's not so fun, maybe we'll just plan an extra day around the Italian Riviera. Wanted to hear input from others.

VIRGINIAFISH: Thank you! There will be me and my husband travelling with my parents and his parents. So we'll either look for one of those very large suites whenever they are available... or perhaps even a 3-bedroom apartment for Cinque Terre and Piedmont.

Cheers! --Betty

Search this Thread